GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 23:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 19:33
mikemcgarry wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating
(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create
(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create

Explain please...

Dear nahid78,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I usually am a fan of Veritas questions, but I am not sure that I approve of this one. This one has a rather unconventional sentence structure, one that I think would be unlikely to appear on the GMAT.

Of course the topic is Detroit, the largest US city every to file bankruptcy.

You see, in the sentence the subject appears AFTER the verb. This is a somewhat colloquial structure, common in American journalist.
"Out of X has developed [subject] . . . "

The main subject of the sentence is "a committee." This is singular, so demands a singular verb, "has developed." (D) & (E) are out.

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is creating," not "are creating" or "create." We can eliminate all four incorrect choices on the basis of SVA.

The question is just a bit too colloquial for my tastes, and once one unpacks what's going on, it's a one-trick pony. Not a horrible question, but not Veritas' best.

Here's a solid SC practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3215
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a video solution.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

thank you for your explanation. it seems to be a new knowledge to me. the sad thing is I still don't understand the meaning of the sentence. could you please paraphrase it in a more straightforward way.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 03:10
mikemcgarry wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating
(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create
(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create

Explain please...

Dear nahid78,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I usually am a fan of Veritas questions, but I am not sure that I approve of this one. This one has a rather unconventional sentence structure, one that I think would be unlikely to appear on the GMAT.

Of course the topic is Detroit, the largest US city every to file bankruptcy.

You see, in the sentence the subject appears AFTER the verb. This is a somewhat colloquial structure, common in American journalist.
"Out of X has developed [subject] . . . "

The main subject of the sentence is "a committee." This is singular, so demands a singular verb, "has developed." (D) & (E) are out.

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is creating," not "are creating" or "create." We can eliminate all four incorrect choices on the basis of SVA.

The question is just a bit too colloquial for my tastes, and once one unpacks what's going on, it's a one-trick pony. Not a horrible question, but not Veritas' best.

Here's a solid SC practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3215
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a video solution.

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike,

Happy new year :)

The question above seems modeled after the following official question. I usually notice that Veritas tries to mimic the OG questions. It seems that GMAT test makers sometimes use colloquial language.

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the daw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 12:06
hongson1706 wrote:
thank you for your explanation. it seems to be a new knowledge to me. the sad thing is I still don't understand the meaning of the sentence. could you please paraphrase it in a more straightforward way.

Dear hongson1706,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the OA, version (B).
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating monuments and museums across the city.
This sentence has a great deal of information. I am going to paraphrase it as two sentences:
(1) A committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts has developed out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements.
(2) This committee is creating monuments and museums across the city.

Understanding this sentence relies a bit on the real-world knowledge that, for over half a century, the US city of Detroit was the epicenter of American automobile manufacturing. At one time, I believe more cars were manufactured in this region than anywhere else in the world. In the 1970s & 1980s, Japan & Korea began to introduce exceptionally high quality cars into the American market, and the American automotive industry declined because it wasn't prepared to compete. Detroit, once a very prosperous city, for decades has been impoverished and struggling to re-establish itself.

This sentence is saying that folks in Detroit are starting to have pride in what the city was before the rise of the auto industry, the city's "pre-automotive achievements." Because the citizens of Detroit have this pride, they want to preserve the historical "landmarks and artifacts" from the period before the rise of the auto industry. Presumably at first, just a few people were excited about protecting the past, but the excitement and interest spread and developed, and one product of this development was the formation of a committee. This committee, in a formal way, is trying to protect all the historical markers that have captured people interest. In order to do this, it is "creating monuments and museums across the city."

Now, my friend, I am going to say two important things to you.

First of all, if all this information about Detroit and the American auto industry is 100% new to you, then you have some homework to do. If you want to be successful in the business world, you need to have a sense of where the centers of industry and manufacturing for different products have been and are now. From what countries do we get food, cars, computers, medicines, etc. etc. A good way to build this sense is to read the business news every single day. You see, the any GMAT question may depends on some background knowledge such as this: you don't have to be an expert in any one industry, but you have to have a rough idea of the lay of the land. Furthermore, think about your interview at business school or your first year there. If someone makes a reference to "Detroit's years of success," and you have no idea that this refers to cars, you may look uninformed. The more you can follow such connections, the more sense you will make of the larger economy. The great business minds are the ones who can keep many facets of the big picture always in mind when they are making decisions.

Also, this is sophisticated sentence in its grammatical structure. How do you practice mastering sophisticated sentence structure? By cultivating a habit of sophisticated reading every single day. This would be another advantage of reading the business news every single day in English: it will give you vital information and it will build your language comprehension skills. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

My friend, I want to see you be as successful as you possibly can be. Best of luck, and let me know if you have any further questions.
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Mike,

Happy new year :)

The question above seems modeled after the following official question. I usually notice that Veritas tries to mimic the OG questions. It seems that GMAT test makers sometimes use colloquial language.

Dear Mo2men,

Happy new year to you, my friend! Kudos to you for finding a matching question in the OG! That's superb! :-)

You know, my opinion of this has softened over time. It is definitely unconventional. When I first read it, it seemed colloquial, but upon reflection, I realize that it is essentially the same as many other sentences I have seen in sophisticated writing--including this example from the OG. That's the wonderful thing about language: there are some many extraordinary different ways to use it.

Best of luck in the new year!

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Current Student
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 02:39
nahid78 wrote:

Explain please...

Have vs. Has split... out of X has developed a committee, since the subject is committee -> singular -> has is correct thus A D E gone

That (singular) vs. That (plural) -> that refers to preservation thus it has to be singular -> C gone

B is the correct answer.

By all means if you're unsure of the have vs. has split, which I believe is trouble for non-natives like me, look at the 'that' part. Usually the 'that' gives clue to modifying noun's SVA... and as you can see... by POE we can also reach B as well.
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 10:08
Noone noticed that A & D are the same ? Lol
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 15:52
nahid78 wrote:

Explain please...

I cracked it in under 40 seconds...
committee is singular, thus A/D/E are out.
committee is creating vs committee create (singular) - of course C is out because of the SV agreement error.
B stands.
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 02:36
GMATFIGHTER wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

a) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating

b) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

c) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

d) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

e) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

This question highlights another clever GMAT tactic to throw you off the scent of subject-verb agreement: It inverts the subject and verb. “…has developed a committee” is akin to saying “so am I” instead of “I am, also.” Stylistically, many constructions allow for the subject to follow the verb. In this case, recognize that both logic and modifier elimination should direct you to the true subject.

Out of a growing pride” leads with a preposition (“out of”) and therefore functions as a modifying phrase. It describes why the committee has developed. You could just as easily flip the sentence around:

A committee has developed out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements….

So the main subject in this sentence is “a committee.” This allows you to eliminate answer choices A, D, and E, as you cannot say “a committee have developed….” For answer choices B and C, the only remaining decision point is between “create,” which is a plural verb in the present tense, and “is creating,” which is a singular verb in the present continuous tense. To make that decision, you must decide what noun is commanding that verb and whether it is singular. The best way to answer that question is with simple logic. What is doing the creating? The committee. Since committee is singular, the correct answer choice is B, which contains the proper “is creating.”

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 20:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 20:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics