Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Anhezjel wrote:
I chose B, because other options are simply even worse than B, however I do not feel fully comfortable with the sentence itself.
From my understanding, if I have "that ...." after a noun, then "that..." should refer to the noun it follows (in this case "fixtures"). In this case it makes no logical sense as fixtures don't bring back anything, it's obvious that we need to refer back to "market", but it doesn't seem to me like the construction indicates it.
Is there some rule I could apply in this situation?

Option B for the reference:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

You are absolutely correct. There is tremendous flexibility that "that" exercises, based on what makes sense. In this case, since it makes sense for "that" to modify "market", "that" will modify "market".

In fact, there are numerous such official examples:

Written in ink or engraved by stylus, more than 2,000 letters and documents on wooden tablets excavated at the site of the old roman fort at Vindolanda in northern England are yielding a historical account of the military garrison in the first and second centuries that is as vivid in its details of personal life as that gathered from Pompeii.

Stock levels for domestic crude oil are far lower than in past years, leaving domestic oil prices vulnerable to any hints of oil supply disruptions in the Middle East or any unexpected growth in consumer demand that might be prompted by colder-than-normal temperatures.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues with "that", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep zhanbo ReedArnoldMPREP RonTargetTestPrep
- what is bringing back the (i) chaise lounge, the (ii) overstuffed sofa, and (iii) claw-footed bathtub ?

I dont see how a "market" can bring back (i), (ii), and (iii)

A market can "contain" / "sell" / "Display" -- these 3 items (in the bold)
example - Walmart sells a chaise lounge, Amazon sells overstuffed sofas, and Target Store displays a claw-footed bathtub.

Instead of "Market" returning these items -- It makes much more sense to say "bygone styles" are bringing back these 3 items of furniture

It is OLD STYLES that is bringing back these old styles of furniture styles (for example - the claw-footed bathtub is a STYLE of a bathtub)
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
- what is bringing back the (i) chaise lounge, the (ii) overstuffed sofa, and (iii) claw-footed bathtub ?

example - Walmart sells a chaise lounge, Amazon sells overstuffed sofas, and Target Store displays a claw-footed bathtub.

Instead of "Market" returning these items -- It makes much more sense to say "bygone styles" are bringing back these 3 items of furniture

It is OLD STYLES that is bringing back these old styles of furniture styles (for example - the claw-footed bathtub is a STYLE of a bathtub)

I don't think so. Those things you list ARE the old styles. The old styles aren't bringing the items of the old styles back, *something* is bringing back the old styles, and those are examples of the old styles.

Also, it's worth noting that 'market' here doesn't mean an actual market-place. "Market" can also mean, like... 'the general commercial desires of the populace.'

So we have:

...things antique has grown a market [a general commercial desire] for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back [some specific examples of those bygone styles of furniture].
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

'market' means 'demand' here.
There is no market for this product. (doesn't mean there is no place from where you can buy it but that there is no demand for it)

... market has brought back these styles ...
means demand for these styles has come back.

Even if it were a real marketplace, we could say "the market has brought back old styles ..." which could mean that the market is stocking them.
The examples given are examples of the "bygone styles." So "bygone styles" cannot bring back these pieces. These pieces are bygone styles.

Additionally, English doesn't insist on being absolutely literal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GRE 1: Q164 V157
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Minheequang wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing

(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing

(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing

(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???

I eliminated A and B due to “things antique” construction. Can someone explain if there actually is a slit on the basis of “antique” adjective/modifier at the start of every option?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DesiMozart wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing

(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing

(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing

(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???

I eliminated A and B due to “things antique” construction. Can someone explain if there actually is a slit on the basis of “antique” adjective/modifier at the start of every option?

Either works - 'things antique' or 'antique things'

Think of the relative clause: Out of America's fascination with all things that are antique has grown ...
It is reduced to:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown ...
or
Out of America's fascination with all antique things has grown ...
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Minheequang wrote:

The sentence tells us that a market for bygone styles of furniture has grown out of America’s fascination with all things antique. That is because of America’s fascination with all things antique, this market has evolved.

The subject is singular ‘a market’ so the verb should be singular ‘has grown.’ Hence, options (A) and (D) are incorrect.

Also, this market is bringing back the chaise lounge etc. So ‘that’ refers to the singular ‘market.’ Hence, we need to write ‘that is bringing…’ not ‘that are bringing.’
We will also not use ‘that bring back…’ because this is not done routinely or as a matter of habit. The market doesn’t routinely bring back chaise lounge etc. Hence options (A), (C), (D) and (E) are incorrect.
Also, ‘things that are antiques’ is more indirect than ‘things antique’ or ‘antique things.’ Hence, option (C) is less preferable.

Option (B) is correct.
Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

Here, note that ‘that’ stands for ‘market’ which is not immediately before ‘that.’ We have a prepositional phrase describing the market in between. There is no other place to put this prepositional phrase and we need it to explain the kind of market that has grown. Hence, this usage is acceptable. ‘That’ here does not refer to ‘furniture and fixtures.’ ‘Furniture and fixtures’ are not bringing back the chaise lounge etc. The growing market is bringing them back.

Answer (B)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
1. has grown a market (market is singular)
2. market is bringing back the styles of furniture (meaning)

A,D out because of point 1
C,E out because of point 2 market (brings) SVA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Architecture (Real Estate)
Send PM
why E is wrong GMATNinja KarishmaB
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
naveengmat15 wrote:
why E is wrong GMATNinja KarishmaB

'that' stands for the singular 'market' and hence the verb should be singular 'brings.' Also, 'that brings back...' is not the appropriate tense to use because the market doesn't routinely bring back these designs. It is bringing back these designs at this time. So present continuous is appropriate, simple present is not.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination -
This exciting question highlights the importance of correctly identifying the subject and a verb in the inverted subject-verb construction. I am spending more time on this one as this original GMAT question has multiple confusing variations. First, here are some typical constructions for the inverted structure. It's important to understand these types to tackle questions. Else, it can be a googly :)

1. Look for the presence of auxiliary verbs, e.g., "is," "are," "has," "have," "was," "were," "had," etc. The inverted structure will have an auxiliary verb in the beginning. If we encounter an auxiliary verb initially, we are most likely dealing with the inverted structure. E.g., Are there any options available? Here, the subject is "options," and the verb is "are." Had I known the deadline, I would have applied earlier. Here, the subject is "I," and the verb is "had known."
2. Pay attention to the prepositional phrases or introductory clauses - The subject-verb may be inverted to create a smoother flow. E.g., In the middle of the room stood a beautiful Piano. Here, the subject is "Piano," and the verb is "stood."
3. Questions and exclamations - Questions and Exclamations have an inverted subject-verb structure. Beware of the question words - how, why, what, where, who and exclamation markers - what, how. E.g., What were they thinking when they made the decision? Here, the subject is "they," and the main verb is "were thinking." How incredible is the view from the top of the mountain! Here, the subject is "the view," and the verb is "is."
4. Idiomatic expressions - Not only did she win the competition, but she also set a new record. Here, the main subject is "she," and the verb is "did win." Only when the sun sets does the city truly come alive? Here, the subject is "the city," and the verb is " does come."

Of course, to complicate the question, GMAT uses combinations of the above types. In this question, the GMAT has combined the first two categories.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing - subject here is "market" and verb "have grown" - wrong. "that" as a relative pronoun introducing a relative clause, which is a noun modifier, can jump over the prepositions but verb. Here, "that" refers to "market," so "are bringing" is wrong.

(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing - ok

(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring - "bring" plural referring to "furniture and fixtures" wrong as it's the market that's bringing the old styles and not the "furniture and fixtures" themselves.

(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing - verb and meaning issues.

(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring - same "that bring" issues.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
KarishmaB EducationAisle why cant 'that' refer to styles of furniture as styles can defiitely bring back chaise lounge, etc
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
KarishmaB EducationAisle why cant 'that' refer to styles of furniture as styles can defiitely bring back chaise lounge, etc

Could you explain how 'styles' could 'bring back chaise lounges'?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Becausee there are all kind of styles being brought back
Market is bringing back bygone styles which are bringing x,y and z back

ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Becausee there are all kind of styles being brought back
Market is bringing back bygone styles which are bringing x,y and z back

ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

But how can the styles THEMSELVES be the things bringing back the chaise lounge, overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub? The styles are just... styles. The chaise lounge, overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub ARE these styles of furnitures and fixtures. I could say 'styles of furniture and fixtures that INCLUDE the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub,' but I can't say the styles are bringing those back. Styles are incapable of bringing anything back, Styles are things that ARE brought back.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts