It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 04:42
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

Since "fascination" needs a "has" being singular instead of "have" - A, D are out
"bringing" is preferred over "that bring" because anything after "that" modifies what is immediately preceding "that", in this case "fixtures" which is incorrect as it is the "America´s fascination. that is bringing" .. "bringing" modifies the clause and hence option B is correct

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 05:57
The original as such is very confusing and convoluted .
The answer to such question becomes easy if we paraphrase the original sentence .
A market has grown out of America's fascination with all things antique for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
Now i think the subject becomes very clear and it is singular so we need singular verb.
Hope it helps.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 12:57
Minheequang wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

Hi,

Let me try to help in this question.

Option B,
Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

RESTRUCTURING THE INVERTED SENTENCE STRUCTURE SO THAT IT MAKES MORE SENSE :

A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures has grown out of America's fascination with all things [that are] antique that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

I hope this restructuring of the option B clears the confusion for this question.

Thanks.
-Varun
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 02:55
Dear experts, GMATNinja egmat GMATninja2 daagh. Would you please help here explaining the options.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 00:15
EducationAisle wrote:
niteshgmat wrote:
As you can see, its now easier to figure out the right answer.
fascination->singular->has
market->singular->is

Actually it should be the other way round.

market->singular->has
fascination->singular->is

market...has grown.. and fascination ...is bringing back the chaise lounge, .....

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses inverted sentences. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Hi,
My email adress is maitra.anirban91@gmail.com. I will be grateful if you can kindly send the corresponding section that covers inverted sentences.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 15:22

I think maybe the simplest way to solve this quickly is to get past all the objects and prep phrases and check if the nouns and verbs agree:

market is what has grown
market is what brings back those objects

A and D. "market": singular subject - have grown: plural verb- wrong
C and E. "market" singular subject - that bring : plural verb - wrong

Only B has two singular verbs (has grown, is bringing) that are consistent with the subject of market
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 15:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 66 posts ] 

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap