It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of Americas obsession with all things pet-related have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 264 [7], given: 64

Out of Americas obsession with all things pet-related have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:13) correct 49% (01:19) wrong based on 349 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.

A. things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing
B. things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing
C. things that are pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring
D. pet-related things have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing
E. pet-related things has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 264 [7], given: 64

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 71

Schools: Carey '16
Re: Out of Americas obsession with all things pet-related have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 11:09
Got B. Not too sure if this is a 700 level question - seemed too easy?

Ok, this was what went through my head....

D and E, out of the picture. Idiom mistake and when you read it in your head it doesn't make sense at all when read "pet-related things"

So you're down to A, B, and C.

C is somewhat redundant with the use of "that" - eliminated.

So you're down to A and B.

I started to compare to the two and saw that included "is" and one included "are" implying subject-verb agreement error.

The subject of this statement deals with "America's obsession", which is singular. I guess the tricky part here is that they list all the examples and try to confuse you that it might be somehow plural. tricky tricky :D

So in the end, B it is. Done. Lemme know if that's how you guy thought about it as.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Schools: Carey '16

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 11:11
Kudo's for posting these series of SC, I try to do about 20 of them a day, seeing that about 14-15 of them will actually show up on the real GMAT.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 00:36
I pick B.

The Verb of the verb "bring" is "a market", therefore it needs to be a singular verb form. Only B where the Verb is "IS" agree with "a market".

B rules

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 01:15
This was an easy B...
If you want a question on the similar lines.. see OG11, 116 (Sentence Correction)

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 11:43
:( went for E...........failed to see the later part .........

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9534 [0], given: 1203

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2011, 15:24

Kudos [?]: 9534 [0], given: 1203

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2011, 20:13
Please explain me the sentence ..I am nt getting whether the subject is americas obsession or pet related things...and bit confused with the start too...ie OUT OF....

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4322 [0], given: 217

Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 13:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.

A) things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing
B ) things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing
C ) things that are pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring
D ) pet-related things have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing
E ) pet-related things has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring

Can someone please tell what is the correct answer and why? I will go for E.

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [2], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
The correct answer is option B.

The subject 'market' which is singular agrees in number with the verb 'has'. Moreover, the tense in the original sentence suggests that the action is ongoing and hence the verb form 'bringing' is correct.

In option E, though the subject 'market' agrees with the verb 'has', it does not agree with the verb 'bring' which is plural. Hence it is incorrect.

Hope this helps!

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Kudos [?]: 138 [2], given: 16

Director
Director

Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 14:16
Thanks Sudish. Hope it all goes well for you on the D day!

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 16:48
+1 B

has - market
is matches singular has

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2011, 08:28
Thanks enigma123 :)

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 16

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 13:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 12:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 163

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 05:24
aiming4mba wrote:
A. things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired acessories and accoutrements that are bringing
B. things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing
C. things that are pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring
D. pet-related things have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing
E. pet-related things has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring

A and D are out SV agreement obsession-has
C and E are out again because of SV agreement market-that-brings/bringing
Correct ans B...

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 163

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 139

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 01:19
Request experts to explain the OA..and things wrong about C and E

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 139

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2053 [1], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:

This one is tricky! And I have no memory of ever running into it on the GMATPrep tests -- can anybody out there confirm the source? It looks legit, but I've seen most of the older GMATPrep SCs hundreds of times... so I'm surprised to see one that doesn't ring a bell at all, especially since it's pretty tough. Maybe that brain cell died in a tragic bourbon accident?

Anyway, on to your question. I know that you asked specifically about (C) and (E), but I think the heart of the question shows up in (A) as well. So I'll go through all of the answer choices, QOTD-style.

Quote:
A. things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing

The subject-verb thing is kind of tricky, because the subject comes after the verb. In this case: "a market... have grown" makes no sense.

The word "that" also jumps out at me. It seems like the modifier beginning with "that" ("that are bringing forth rhinestone collars, cashmere dog sweaters...") is modifying "accessories and accoutrements." And that makes no sense: it's not the "accessories and accoutrements" that are "bringing forth" fancy collars and sweaters and beds. The MARKET "brings forth" those things; not the accessories and accoutrements themselves. So this is tricky, but we need "that" to be followed by a singular verb, since it's the (singular) market performing the action of "bringing forth" fancy pet stuff.

The "that" modifier is tricky, but it's the key to the question, after you figure out the subject-verb thing. Anyway, (A) is out.

Quote:

"Has" gives us the correct subject-verb agreement, and notice that the end of the underlined portion is now singular: "a market... that is bringing forth [expensive dog crap]..." That makes way more sense than (A). And the verb tense is OK, too: "is bringing" suggests an ongoing action in the present, and that actually makes sense here, because the current obsession is inspiring a market for fancy dog products right now.

So we can keep (B).

Quote:

This sounds great! "A market... has grown" gives us the right subject-verb agreement. "...accessories and accoutrements [plural!] that bring..." sounds great, but it's wrong, as we described in (A): it's the market that "brings forth" the crazy expensive dog stuff, not the "accessories and accoutrements" themselves.

(By the way, if you ever use the word "accoutrements" in a real-life sentence, Americans will generally assume that you're a pretentious dork.)

Quote:

Subject-verb is wrong in the beginning ("a market... have grown") and also in the end: just like in (A) and (C), this suggests that the "accessories and accoutrements" are "bringing forth" pretentious pet products. (D) is gone.

Quote:

Same issue again as in (A), (C), and (D)! It's the market that brings forth the fancy collars and sweaters -- not the "accessories and accoutrements."

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2053 [1], given: 465

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 181 [1], given: 139

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:

This one is tricky! And I have no memory of ever running into it on the GMATPrep tests -- can anybody out there confirm the source? It looks legit, but I've seen most of the older GMATPrep SCs hundreds of times... so I'm surprised to see one that doesn't ring a bell at all, especially since it's pretty tough. Maybe that brain cell died in a tragic bourbon accident?

Anyway, on to your question. I know that you asked specifically about (C) and (E), but I think the heart of the question shows up in (A) as well. So I'll go through all of the answer choices, QOTD-style.

Quote:

The subject-verb thing is kind of tricky, because the subject comes after the verb. In this case: "a market... have grown" makes no sense.

The word "that" also jumps out at me. It seems like the modifier beginning with "that" ("that are bringing forth rhinestone collars, cashmere dog sweaters...") is modifying "accessories and accoutrements." And that makes no sense: it's not the "accessories and accoutrements" that are "bringing forth" fancy collars and sweaters and beds. The MARKET "brings forth" those things; not the accessories and accoutrements themselves. So this is tricky, but we need "that" to be followed by a singular verb, since it's the (singular) market performing the action of "bringing forth" fancy pet stuff.

The "that" modifier is tricky, but it's the key to the question, after you figure out the subject-verb thing. Anyway, (A) is out.

Quote:

"Has" gives us the correct subject-verb agreement, and notice that the end of the underlined portion is now singular: "a market... that is bringing forth [expensive dog crap]..." That makes way more sense than (A). And the verb tense is OK, too: "is bringing" suggests an ongoing action in the present, and that actually makes sense here, because the current obsession is inspiring a market for fancy dog products right now.

So we can keep (B).

Quote:

This sounds great! "A market... has grown" gives us the right subject-verb agreement. "...accessories and accoutrements [plural!] that bring..." sounds great, but it's wrong, as we described in (A): it's the market that "brings forth" the crazy expensive dog stuff, not the "accessories and accoutrements" themselves.

(By the way, if you ever use the word "accoutrements" in a real-life sentence, Americans will generally assume that you're a pretentious dork.)

Quote:

Subject-verb is wrong in the beginning ("a market... have grown") and also in the end: just like in (A) and (C), this suggests that the "accessories and accoutrements" are "bringing forth" pretentious pet products. (D) is gone.

Quote:

Same issue again as in (A), (C), and (D)! It's the market that brings forth the fancy collars and sweaters -- not the "accessories and accoutrements."

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot GMATNinja for the wonderful explanation..i think mostly meaning was the key here...understanding that that modifies market and not acting as a pretentious dork (modifying accoutrements)...

Indeed a tough one

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Kudos [?]: 181 [1], given: 139

Re: Out of Americas obsession with all things pet-related have   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2017, 20:20

Out of Americas obsession with all things pet-related have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap