It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:02

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 07:49
that is a modifier which modifies the noun or pronoun which precedes it hence the answer should be B

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 967 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 05:20
mikemcgarry , any help please. I marked B as the answer confidently but it seems there is a confusion between B and D.

Kindly help.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 22:56
abhimahna wrote:
mikemcgarry , any help please. I marked B as the answer confidently but it seems there is a confusion between B and D.

Kindly help.

Consider the below example
The book that is blue in colour is mine.
Here that is referring to the book.

Now see the question
Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Since shows is preceding that we will use are instead of is
Hence B is the answer

Yes I agree that this is a poorly constructed question.

Board of Directors
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 00:00
suramya26 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:

Kindly help.

Consider the below example
The book that is blue in colour is mine.
Here that is referring to the book.

Now see the question
Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Since shows is preceding that we will use are instead of is
Hence B is the answer

Yes I agree that this is a poorly constructed question.

Yes, I understand your point. I also marked B as the answer, but if you will read above there is a lot of discussion going on for B and D. That's making me tensed if my understanding is wrong or people are confused.

mikemcgarry , Sir please help!!

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 12:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 20:33
between d and e?please elaborate.
thanks
khv

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 742

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 02:47
In my Kaplan 800 2014 edition, page 161, ISBN: 978-1-6185-406-9, the correct answer to this question is mentioned as E. I quote "the relevant subject of the sentence is "shows", so eliminate (D). Choice (B) uses the unnecessary word phrase "are bringing", whereas (E) uses "bring". (E) is correct."

Can someone please clarify?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gatreya14 wrote:
In my Kaplan 800 2014 edition, page 161, ISBN: 978-1-6185-406-9, the correct answer to this question is mentioned as E. I quote "the relevant subject of the sentence is "shows", so eliminate (D). Choice (B) uses the unnecessary word phrase "are bringing", whereas (E) uses "bring". (E) is correct."

Choice D: The antecedent for the relative pronoun "which" is "shows". Hence "which" is plural, and for a plural subject singular verb "is bringing" is wrong.

Choice B: The present continuous tense is problematic - it indicates as though at the current moment the shows are bringing people onto televison screens (i.e., the movement of people are happening at the current moment).

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 283

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 11:01
D is the correct answer. Here's why:

Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing --> we need has, thus eliminate.
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing --> a booming market, which are bringing (doesn't make sense)
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show, which is bringing --> another person's life. Awkward. Thus, eliminate.
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing --> Correct
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which bring --> remove for "reality" tv shows --> a booming market, which bring (this doesn't make any sense. Incorrect verb)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 283

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 11:20
sayantanc2k wrote:
gatreya14 wrote:

Choice D: The antecedent for the relative pronoun "which" is "shows". Hence "which" is plural, and for a plural subject singular verb "is bringing" is wrong.

Choice B: The present continuous tense is problematic - it indicates as though at the current moment the shows are bringing people onto televison screens (i.e., the movement of people are happening at the current moment).

thank you for your response. So you agree that (E) is correct?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 271 [1], given: 62

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 16:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show, which is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which bring

I chose (E) on this one. On GMAT SC, 'which' modifiers typically modify the closest available noun phrase. In this case, that's 'television shows', not 'market'. That's the first hint that we want 'bring' or 'are bringing', not 'is bringing'. The second hint is in the logic of the sentence. It's not the market that brings ordinary people to the screen; it's the shows. Logically, you want a verb that agrees with 'shows'.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 271 [1], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 09:10
[quote="eybrj2"]Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show, which is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which bring

Can someone please explain why option E is incorrect? the "which bring" part refers to the "reality" television shows.
In D "which is bringing" refers to the market.

Please explain.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 08:10
First of all, I believe that it is the booming market that has grown. So, in the original sentence, "have" should be singular. Eliminate it. Second of all, I think that "which" refers to a booming market for reality tv shows (Remember the structure X of Y,which...Here which refers to X). So, whatever comes after "which" should be singular. Therefore, we can eliminate B and E as well.
Hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 10:06
Abhishekmutha wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

Can someone please explain why option E is incorrect? the "which bring" part refers to the "reality" television shows.
In D "which is bringing" refers to the market.

Please explain.

(E) is correct. Refer to my post above yours. I asked the same question and got a response from souvik.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 01:53
rohitsatya wrote:

The correct answer is E but is currently set as D

It is confirmed by Kaplan that the OA (official answer) is D. Here is the explanation:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/out-of-the-p ... ml#p861528

However the OA is debatable. Please refer to the following posts:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/out-of-the-p ... l#p1765517
https://gmatclub.com/forum/out-of-the-p ... l#p1765789
https://gmatclub.com/forum/out-of-the-p ... ml#p861004

Since the official answer is the answer released by the question writer, the OA remains D.

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 01:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 08:29
D is correct because "for reality shows" is a vital modifier. Without that vital modifier, the sentence is incomplete and which can jump over vital modifiers to modify the subject before that and that is what is happening in the given case.

Here is one example on vital modifiers:
4) In the last decades of his life, Rimsky-Korsakov produced a massive book on orchestration, which is still read by composition students today.

The modifier “which is still …” doesn’t modify the noun “orchestration” (which is something that can’t be “read”) — instead, it modifies “book”, and it’s fine that it doesn’t touch “book”, because the modifier “on orchestration” is a vital noun modifier — that is, it narrows down and identifies the indefinite noun “book.”

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 08:12
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:41
Imo D
We need has here as the subject a booming market is singular .
This implies we have to use is because it is market is bringing regular people .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 00:44
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing - "have" does not go with "interest. we need "has" + "are" does not work here, we need "is"
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing - "are" does not work here with the singular subject "market", we need "is"
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show that is bringing - "a reality television show" is incorrect as we are speaking about "television shows" in general + "another persons" changes the meaning.. basically a mess of sentence that does not deserve any analysis
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that is bringing - CORRECT.. "has" works with singular subject "interest" + "is" works with singular subject "market"
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that bring - "bring" is incorrect as "booming market" is the the subject which is singular

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2017, 00:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 126 posts ] 

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap