It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 16:55

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Re: Very good standard Qs with many concepts hidden [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 10:25
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show that is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that bring

Which one is the correct answer and why ?
This one of very good hard level questions. Answer debate is between 3 and 4 (C and D) to make it simpler, rest all looks obvious.

i.e. Subject "Out of the public’s interest " is singular so "has" .. "increasing frequency" means it has to be progressive tense so E is out.. debate between C and D ..

Tough one.
Thanks for posting this
"public’s interest" -> matches -> "is bringing"
So I selected D

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Re: Very good standard Qs with many concepts hidden [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 11:03
It has to be B.

"public’s interest" (singular) is modifying verb "to have" here. So we need "has"
"television shows" (plural) is modifying verb "to bring". So we need "are bringing"

B resolves both errors.

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:23
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Folks,

This one is indeed tricky because of the 'that' being placed near the word 'shows'. Grammatically, "...shows that bring "regular" people onto the screen with increasing frequency" is correct. However, (E) fails logically. "Reality" shows are already about regular people, but (E) means that the individual shows are featuring more and more regular people, since the plural verb means 'that' modifies 'shows. This seems a little silly; it's clear from the rest of the sentence that the make-up television as a whole is changing, not just the formula of a few shows.

Further, the word 'brings' is the simple present tense. Although there are several ways to use this tense, the most common one--and the one that applies here--is the habitual action. Use of the word 'brings' means that those shows are not just shifting immediately from actors to regular folks, but have been doing so as a matter of course!

The GMAT will usually have errors in its sentences that make them grammatically untenable. But sometimes a grammatically correct but nonsensical answer will show up, and those must be eliminated too. Since (E) has a long-term habit of more and more regular folks showing up on shows that are already 'reality' shows, we can conclude that it does not produce a particularly sensible meaning.

On the other hand, (D) has "...a booming market for "reality" television shows that is...", which looks fishy because of the singular verb 'is'. But 'is' doesn't apply to the plural noun 'shows' in choice (D). Rather, the market (for shows) is changing. (D) is sound construction and matches the intent of the sentence, and for those reasons is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!

Really it doesn't help. Still, the question for me why it is not B? Is it a market that brings new customers or shows do that? For me, shows definitely do that, if you have another opinion please explain.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Power is given only to those who dare to lower themselves and pick it up. Only one thing matters, one thing; to be able to dare!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2011, 23:35
wow! nice question, but still can't decide between B and D.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 742 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:53
andysimple wrote:
Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Is there anyone think that this question is illed- written, as we all know that relative clause always stands right next to the noun modified?

Have vs has => "has" win because it modifies public interest

"that" modifies "market". "for reality television shows" also modifies "market"

Between C and D. "other people's lives" is more concise.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 742 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 14:19
The choice D makes sense since the subject is the "market" and not the "shows".
But still E seems a better choice to me, since it really beyond the scope of the test taker to judge whether the industry as a whole changes or just the "formula" changes for a few shows.

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 308 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
LuckyOne wrote:

Really it doesn't help. Still, the question for me why it is not B? Is it a market that brings new customers or shows do that? For me, shows definitely do that, if you have another opinion please explain.

(B), because of the plural verb 'are,' give us a long complex noun phrase: "reality" shows that are bringing regular people onto television screens with increasing regularity. (B) also tells us that there is a booming market for this type of show.

This, despite appearing grammatically correct, is logically inconsistent. Reality shows by definition bring regular people onto the screeen; it doesn't make sense for such shows to bring those people on with 'increasing regularity. Moreover, (B) implies that ONLY the reality shows that keep increasing the number of regular people they feature make up the 'booming market.' This also isn't the intended meaning of the sentence.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Kudos [?]: 308 [1], given: 2

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 22:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing CORRECT
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

Manager
Manager
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 30

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Re: Out of the publics interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:20
Great question. +1 for D

Key: market is bringing ppl with great frequency....shows are not.

Consider meaning when stuch between last 2 options.

--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 30

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 11

WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2011, 10:16
I am for D. A booming market........is bringing....

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2011, 18:57
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show that is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows that bring

Which one is the correct answer and why ?
This one of very good hard level questions. Answer debate is between 3 and 4 (C and D) to make it simpler, rest all looks obvious.

i.e. Subject "Out of the public’s interest " is singular so "has" .. "increasing frequency" means it has to be progressive tense so E is out.. debate between C and D ..

The contention is between B & E. D is out of question as "Shows" is the subject for the verb not the "Market" - Bring.

So question is between the tenses -
Shows ARE bringing Vs Shows Bring.
Present continuous Vs Simple present.

I will select B over E here becasue of the phrase "Increasing frequency". If E is selected it will be - Reality tv shows bring Regular people onto the television screen with increasing frequency. This distorts the meaning.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2012, 23:06
Out of people's interest ............ has grown a booming market ......that is bringing.....

IMO D

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 51

GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2012, 22:52
+1 for D.Market.........is bringing.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 51

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [3], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
C. another people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which bring

Guys please reason out your answer to this question!

Kudos [?]: 270 [3], given: 33

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 08:22
guys this question was discussed a few years back but the topic ended inconclusive. Hence i am reposting the question as I look for a satisfactory answer. IMO the answer should be E. You can check the previous thread here doubts-on-a-subject-verb-agreement-question-126783.html#p1036438

13 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8330 [13], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
To understand this question in its logical perspective, one needs to appreciate that the shows themselves create the interest by virtue of their sensational nature and therefore people throng to see them. Therefore, it is clear that the shows entice people. Then a demand emerges and the commercial people step in to cash in on the ready-made boom to make easy money. Therefore, the booming market is the end of the chain and not the beginning.
If this tenet is clear, then this can be easily solved. Here the verb has to be plural either -are bringing or a simple present tense bring. It is now the importance of the increasing frequency can be realized. It a frequently changing one means that it is a dynamic factor and an on- going affair. What better way could be there than to describe in a progressive tense—namely, are bringing. Please also note that choice B meticulously abides by the touch rule of relative pronoun. Therefore, B is the best IMO.
Kaplan’ choice of D as the official answer is understandable, considering Kaplan’s fancy for gaining popularity more through controversies than through logic

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8330 [13], given: 366

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 4

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
@daagh Your explanation was really hard for me to understand. Can you please rephrase since I got D in 43 seconds.

My reasoning is as follows:

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
C. another people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which bring

First, the subject here is public's interest. So, we need a singular verb to accompany it (has NOT have).
So, A out.

Now, we all know another should definitely be allowed here. Since, this is seldom used in GMAT and if used it comes in the form of a comparative.
So, C out.

Also, we know that people are coming with increasing frequency (Tense used needs be future tense "verb+ing")
So, E out.

Last check, exactly what is bringing. IMO the interest is bringing. So, interest is singular term. Therefore, B is out.

D is the winner.

Hope I helped :)

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 4

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8330 [2], given: 366

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
@Aki
The trap of the passage is to convolute it by reverse writing, while the trick of the solution is to write in the normal form.
The original sentence reads as:

Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

The reversed order will be

A booming market for "reality" television shows have grown out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives, which are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.
After flipping, you may now realize that the subject of the main clause is not public interest but a booming market. All the same, the subject is still is singular and there is no issue about the singular verb has grown. Therefore, A is gone

You mean to say that the use of another has no place in this context, I suppose. Therefore, C is out and I couldn’t agree more

It is not clear what you imply by saying we need future tense verb+ing and so E is out.
I have a doubt that you are rather taking verb+ing as future tense. Verb+ ing (here in this case bringing) is never a future tense. It can be a present participle or a gerund. It can be part of past progressive when we say - was or were bringing-, part of present progressive when we say is/are brining or part of a future progressive when we say will be bringing. When we use them in progressive tenses, we need to combine them with a suitable auxiliary verb to mark the tense.

In the last check, you have just stopped short of the end. It is not the interest that brings the people. The passage makes it clear in the very beginning itself that the interest is in the details and conflicts of other people’s lives. Therefore, it is the shows that draw the crowds. All that I explained in my previous note was just that. I am sorry you could not make much out of it.

However, I wonder how the flouting of the touch rule of, which is excused in Choice D. Choice B truthfully follows this touch rule creed and hence is grammatically superior to D unless somebody wants to go out of the way to justify the modification of which with the distant interest

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 05:20
@daagh why did you choose B over E?

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
@ vibhav

Chose B over E for nothing much of grammatical reasons. Since the people are being drawn with increasing frequency, it looks like an on-going thing. So I think a progressive tense such as which are bringing will be better than just a staid present tense which we bring

Narendran 98845 44509

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts   [#permalink] 23 May 2012, 06:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 126 posts ] 

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap