It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 12:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2014, 10:37
it cannot refer to the booming markets as WHICH needs to refer to the preceding word! The question is flawed and the correct answer would be is bringing here. This question is one very good reason not to trust on KAPLAN!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 10:03

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 13:06
the correct answer is 'B'. option 'D' cannot be the right answer as it says 'is bringing'. it refers to the television shows(plural) and not the market(singular). Even logically it does not make sense. markets cannot bring people onto the TV screen. its the shows that bring people.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 08:49
blueseas wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
i would go for B due to the which touch rule.
Can some one please explain this and if D is correct, then when to use the which touch rule ...

Hi ankur,

this is a debatable question...as based on OA....so will suggest you to discard it from your list.

moreover IMO B too.

which is modifying tv shows...so we need plural verb here.

hope it helps

Guys,

I'm still learning, but would like to share my understanding. I whet for B since from the context I gathered that interest in peoples' lives can't being local people to television screen. The telivision shows are brining the people to telivision screens is what I think.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 51

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2014, 14:16
eybrj2 wrote:
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show, which is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which bring

I disagree with OA, to me it seems that D is incorrect. The reasons are as follows:
other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing >>> since "which " is pointing at "shows " the verb should be plural, since noun shows is the subject. Subject of the earlier verb (has grown) is correct as singular, since it refers to subject "a booming market".
I think option B is a better answer.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 02:43
andysimple wrote:
Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Is there anyone think that this question is illed- written, as we all know that relative clause always stands right next to the noun modified?

I think the same.Question is poorly designed.
that always refers to closest noun.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Out of the publics interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 20:19

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 08:40
First of all, booming market cannot bring smth to tv. it is the shows that bring people on TV - logically, this is more precise.
Second, has grown and booming - isn't it redundant? booming means increasing, but this idea is already presented by the verb has grown.

I too, was confused between B and D. but if you look closely, booming market "for"...
for reality...- is a prepositional phrase that refers to market, thus the pronoun that should refer to the head of the noun phrase which is booming market.

these types of questions are not poorly written; these are the evil trap-questions, written by the devil himself :D

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 200

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 05:25
KapTeacherEli wrote:
LuckyOne wrote:

Really it doesn't help. Still, the question for me why it is not B? Is it a market that brings new customers or shows do that? For me, shows definitely do that, if you have another opinion please explain.

(B), because of the plural verb 'are,' give us a long complex noun phrase: "reality" shows that are bringing regular people onto television screens with increasing regularity. (B) also tells us that there is a booming market for this type of show.

This, despite appearing grammatically correct, is logically inconsistent. Reality shows by definition bring regular people onto the screeen; it doesn't make sense for such shows to bring those people on with 'increasing regularity. Moreover, (B) implies that ONLY the reality shows that keep increasing the number of regular people they feature make up the 'booming market.' This also isn't the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hello Eli,

Thanks for your explanation. Here in India, most of the reality shows are of a format that casts celebrities and other well known public figures. For instance "Big Brother". So you can understand when i select option E, my thinking is that the public is now opting for reality shows that are increasingly casting "Regular" people.

Your thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 11:49
This is a Kaplan 800 Question. The answer in the book is E.
Explanation: That are bringing vs that bring - GMAT prefers simplistic wordings

Plz help

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 317

Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 19:06
chetan2u
Sir, please guide as to why D chosen over B.
In my opinion, B was the answer.

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 317

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5855 [3], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
debbiem wrote:
chetan2u
Sir, please guide as to why D chosen over B.
In my opinion, B was the answer.

Hi,
that is a flexible pronoun while it forms a part of a 'relative clause'..
and can modify the preceding NOUN or NOUN phrase
here the relative clause is that is/are bringing..
And at most occasions, the meaning should tell you the verb to be used..

Now, we all are used to justifying the OA, so here is the other side..
lets see the OG question, from where this has been copied..
"Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub."

here if we see, CAN furniture and fixtures BRING back SOMETHING.... NO
It is the market of these things that CAN bring back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub."
SO here "that IS" is correct.....

But can we say the same thing about the Q being discussed-
Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

I have my doubts if someone says that ONLY D can be the answer....
B is also a perfectly legitimate answer..
----a booming marketfor "reality" television showsthat is bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.
----a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

BOTH are CORRECT..
so you have TWO correct answers here.. B and D

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5855 [3], given: 117

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 04:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Out of the public's interest in the details and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing" regular people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

A) other people's lives have grown a booming market for ''reality" television shows that are bringing
B) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that have brought
C) another person's life has grown a booming market for a "reality" television show that is bringing
D) other people's lives has grown a booming marker for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

This question is similar to another question that has been posted in here. However, some of the options are slightly different.

Please explain in detail why have you selected or discarded each of the options.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 05:12
Here is my go:

Out of the public's interest in the details and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing" regular people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

A) other people's lives have grown a booming market for ''reality" television shows that are bringing
"have grown" (plural) is not coherent with "a booming market" (singular)
B) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that have brought
The subject of "that have brought" is "a booming market". Hence, the verb should be "that has brought". However, my question here is why "television shows" cannot be the subject of "that have brought". On this case, I believe that this option would be the correct one.
C) another person's life has grown a booming market for a "reality" television show that is bringing
"another person's life" is awkward. "a reality television show" should be plural.
D) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring
I found the verb forms "that is bringing" or "that have brought" preferable to this verbal form.

Your feedback on this analysis will be greatly appreciated.

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 06:01
EBITDA wrote:
Here is my go:

"have grown" (plural) is not coherent with "a booming market" (singular)
The subject of "that have brought" is "a booming market". Hence, the verb should be "that has brought". However, my question here is why "television shows" cannot be the subject of "that have brought". On this case, I believe that this option would be the correct one.
"another person's life" is awkward. "a reality television show" should be plural.
D) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
I found the verb forms "that is bringing" or "that have brought" preferable to this verbal form.

Your feedback on this analysis will be greatly appreciated.

My two cents:

The subject here should be interest. Interest is something which has propelled makers to develop a reality television series. Since interest is singular has makes sense to me. Also, it is an on-going process wherein they continue to make more shows; thus bringing in more people. Hence it is D for me.

A can be rejected for pronoun error.
B - because the process is on-going and it still continues - have brought may seem incorrect
C - another and 'a' reality TV series? There could be many
E - bring seems to be incorrect

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 22:44
"Interest" is singular. So it should be "has" grown booming market
But its the "television shows" (plural) that "have" brought regular people onto television.
Option B fits this structure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 21:54
OP: [ Out of the public's interest in the details and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing regular people onto the television screen with increasing frequency. ]

-> All right. Although the form may throw us off (subject-verb inversion), we should immediately be able to see that there is no consistency between the subject and the verb anyway. Therefore, A is incorrect. Unfortunately, all the other choices have the correct form.

-> Change in meaning. These shows are apparently still bringing the average Joes onto the television screen; changing the verb like this makes it sound like there is now a market for shows that in the past brought regular people onto the television screen. Therefore, B is incorrect.

-> Change in meaning again. This makes it sound like the phrase could be referring to the public's general interest in the details of the life of a specific person. Its ambiguity makes it decisively less preferable. Therefore, C is incorrect.

-> I'll group these two together, because this is probably the tricky part that justifies the question's status as a "700+". Read very carefully the bolded parts. We need to discern if "the market is bringing the average Joes onto the television screen" (D) or "the shows themselves are bringing the average Joes onto the television screen" (E).

While we don't know the wording of the original phrase, there is one critical element in how the phrase is supposed to continue:
"regular people onto the television screen with increasing frequency".

Got it? It's market that, ultimately, makes the shows bring regular people onto the screen with increasing frequency. Now look at E: could the market have some particular interest in "shows that bring people onto the screen with increasing frequency"? It definitely sounds off compared to the other one. Rule out E. D is correct.

One of the rarest breeds of potential GMAT test-takers. Sucks at maths, (usually) rocks linguistic syntax and morphology.
Lil' sign humbly asks of thee: please do be charitable with kudos in case he's helping you in the "Sentence Correction" forum, his natural habitat as a grammar geek. With everyone's help he shall be able to afford a proper tuition and perhaps rediscover the congruence criteria for triangles.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 03:22

Out of the public'sinterest in the details and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing regular people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

Right off the bat after removing the fancy modifiers we are left with two errors
1) interest HAVE grown -> should be has because the subject is SINGULAR.
2) a booming market that ARE bringing -> should be IS because the subject is SINGULAR.

Right away we can eliminate A and B.

We remove C because 'another' changes the meaning of the sentence to focus about a specific person not people in general.

We remove E because it changes the meaning of the sentence to specify that it's the television shows that brings people to into the industry when in actuality it is the booming market that is attracting them.

D) other people's lives has grown a booming marker for "reality" television shows that is bringing
Got the final answer!

My GMAT Journey From 550 - 740

My application debrief to Kellogg '19

My MBA Blog

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 05:05
in option D and E, there is a "that" clause at the end where depending on context "that" can refer to the noun mentioned just before "television" shows or far off "booming market". Please note there is "no comma" mentioned. This fact leads to the confusion to choose either of the nouns and still make the sentence's meaning correct. "is bringing" and "bring" hardly make the difference to decipher the meaning.

What is the source of this question ?

-South City

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2016, 05:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 124 posts ] 

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap