It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 680
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 06:52
Thank you sayantanc2k

Quote:
2. To create a new copy of a noun>
The dog I have barks louder than that you have.

In the first case "that" can be used to refer to a plural antecedent. In the second case, "that" cannot be used to refer to a plural antecedent.


I am unclear about this. Why can't THAT refer to dog? Barks is a verb, but DOG is a singular noun and below sentence does make sense.

The dog I have barks louder than that dog you have. I am comparing a noun vs noun here.
Can you suggest what did I miss?
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 07:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
Thank you sayantanc2k

Quote:
2. To create a new copy of a noun>
The dog I have barks louder than that you have.

In the first case "that" can be used to refer to a plural antecedent. In the second case, "that" cannot be used to refer to a plural antecedent.


I am unclear about this. Why can't THAT refer to dog? Barks is a verb, but DOG is a singular noun and below sentence does make sense.

The dog I have barks louder than that dog you have. I am comparing a noun vs noun here.
Can you suggest what did I miss?


Now I am not clear about your query - The query you originally had was whether the use of "that" is Ok for a plural noun. So I mentioned that the usage is OK for case 1, but not for case2. In any case "that" CAN refer to a singular noun.

The way you interpreted the example in case 2 is absolutely alright. So I do not understand where your confusion is, yet let me try once again as below:

Using "that" in case 2 would be wrong if there were a plural noun ("dogs") instead of singular ("dog").
The dogs I have bark louder than that you have.... wrong.
The dogs I have bark louder than those you have.... right.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 680
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 08:11
Apologies for the confusion sayantanc2k

Quote:
Now I am not clear about your query - The query you originally had was whether the use of "that" is Ok for a plural noun. So I mentioned that the usage is OK for case 1, but not for case2. In any case "that" CAN refer to a singular noun.


Correct, your example 1 helped me to clarify the usage of THAT in OG sentence.

Quote:
The way you interpreted the example in case 2 is absolutely alright. So I do not understand where your confusion is, yet let me try once again as below:

Using "that" in case 2 would be wrong if there were a plural noun ("dogs") instead of singular ("dog").
The dogs I have bark louder than that you have.... wrong.
The dogs I have bark louder than those you have.... right.


I am clear for this example now. It seems because of typo error you wrote singular subject DOG when earlier you quoted eg 2.
Hope we are on same page. :-)
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 02:04
adkikani wrote:
Apologies for the confusion sayantanc2k

Quote:
Now I am not clear about your query - The query you originally had was whether the use of "that" is Ok for a plural noun. So I mentioned that the usage is OK for case 1, but not for case2. In any case "that" CAN refer to a singular noun.


Correct, your example 1 helped me to clarify the usage of THAT in OG sentence.

Quote:
The way you interpreted the example in case 2 is absolutely alright. So I do not understand where your confusion is, yet let me try once again as below:

Using "that" in case 2 would be wrong if there were a plural noun ("dogs") instead of singular ("dog").
The dogs I have bark louder than that you have.... wrong.
The dogs I have bark louder than those you have.... right.


I am clear for this example now. It seems because of typo error you wrote singular subject DOG when earlier you quoted eg 2.
Hope we are on same page. :-)


It was not a typo error - I wrote singular subject DOG (and singular verb BARKS) for example 2, because plural subject would be wrong - as mentioned "that" used to create a new copy cannot take plural subject as antecedent.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 07:18
His can only refer to chief executive. So, option A, B & C are out.
Option (E) = We are already talking about plans. So, wordy.
Option D is correct.
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2018, 07:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 45 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.