It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 282

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2013, 08:23
Yes, I was stuck b/W C and D. Was tricked into choosing D! C is the winner though

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 282

10 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1637 [10], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a tricky one. You need to pay extra attention to MEANING.

We are talking about what PERCENT of energy comes from source X for France, and then the same thing for Germany.

So the beginning of the sentence correctly says "over 75% of energy in France comes from nuclear".

Now look at (D): "33% of the energy comes from [nuclear power in Germany]"

Is this really what we're trying to say?

What we really want to say is "33% of the energy in Germany comes from nuclear power"

Note, this is different from what (D) says. It's close, but the shuffling of the words changes the meaning. They purposely do that to trick you. So structurally it looks like it runs parallel, but MEANING-wise it's not correct. (C) doesn't look parallel, but it matches exactly what we are trying to say.

Kudos [?]: 1637 [10], given: 8

Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 80

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 02:02
metallicafan wrote:
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%.

I have the following doubts with these questions:

a) In choice C, the subject in the first part of the comparison is "over 75 percent of the energy produced in France", while the subject in the second part is "nuclear power". How can these be parallel? Also, based on the explanations of other questions, the compared clauses should be parallel in structure, so the second clause should be something like "(whereas) just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany comes from nuclear power". As you can see, now both structures are similar and the things that are compared are logically parallel (percentage vs. percentage). I don't understand, how C can be correct.

If you see choice E, my analysis would be correct. There, the sentence compares "over 75 percent of the energy produced in France" vs. "energy from nuclear power in Germany": not parallel.

b) In choice E, the OE says that "it" is ambiguous, and Ron Purewal (MGMAT) mentions that "it" doesn't have an antecedent. But I think that "it" refers to "the energy from nuclear power in Germany". I think that there is no problem with "it". If you replace the pronoun for that noun, it works.

Please, your help with this problem.

I chose D as the answer, expost, I think the main idea to take into account is comparing "energy produced" in X, so C could be the better option

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 637 [1], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2013, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
the energy produced in france is compared to the energy produced in Germany

C is correct

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 637 [1], given: 298

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 05:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(A) while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
(B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Could you please help me understand structural parallelism in option C which is the correct answer. Though, I agree the option C is the best option as far as meaning is concerned, i am still not sure if both the clauses in option C are parallel.

Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Jul 2017, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1451 [2], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Mission2012 wrote:
Could you please help me understand structural parallelism in option C which is the correct answer. Though, I agree the option C is the best option as far as meaning is concerned, i am still not sure if both the clauses in option C are parallel.

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent.

OA : C

Look at the original sentence...

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power

Option C whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1451 [2], given: 543

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 988 [0], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 05:36
Hi Mission2012,
pls. Give a proper title to ur posts. The title should be a first few words of the question. You can use the tag option for indicating the source. Also correct rest of your posts

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [2], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
and next time when you post a question, could you state the answer as well as your doubt in spoilers. So that we could practice and at the same time solve your doubt too :D
BTW I'm not sure what's wrong with D. Energy is still being compared with energy.

Kudos [?]: 93 [2], given: 118

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 60 [5], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here "it" has an ambiguous antecedent (what is just over 33%, energy or nuclear power) . Hence wrong.

compared to Germany is not a valid comparison. It seems that energy is compared to Germany.

This is correct and has a parallel structure.

This changes the meaning. Here it seems that "33 percent of energy" comes from "nuclear power in Germany". In other words, 33% of energy for some place where it will be used comes from the nuclear power in Germany. It has ambiguous meaning

This also changes the meaning. This implies a comparison between the 75% of energy in France and energy from nuclear power in Germany. It is also not parallel

Hence C is correct.

Hope it helps :)

Kudos plz if it helped

Last edited by rockstar23 on 07 Oct 2013, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 60 [5], given: 44

BSchool Forum Moderator

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 12:24
Please check before you post. If the topic is already discussed do not begin a fresh thread.

over-75-percent-of-the-energy-produced-in-france-derives-31084.html

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 20:11
rockstar23 wrote:
Here "it" does not have an antecedent. Hence wrong.

compared to Germany is not a valid comparison. It seems that energy is compared to Germany.

This is correct and has a parallel structure.

This changes the meaning. Here it seems that "33 percent of energy" comes from "nuclear power in Germany". In other words, 33% of energy for some place where it will be used comes from the nuclear power in Germany. It has ambiguous meaning

This also changes the meaning. This implies a comparison between the 75% of energy in France and energy from nuclear power in Germany. It is also not parallel

Hence C is correct.

Hope it helps :)

I think A has a wrong comparison error. 'It' does have an antecedent and that is 'nuclear power' IMO.
And yes, thanks for clarifying option D. Need to focus more on the meaning as well.

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 118

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 60 [1], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
mahendru1992 wrote:
I think A has a wrong comparison error. 'It' does have an antecedent and that is 'energy' IMO.
And yes, thanks for clarifying option D. Need to focus more on the meaning as well.

Hi,

Edited the post. Its ambiguous as to what it refers to, energy or nuclear power.

Hope its clear now :)

Kudos plz if it helped

Kudos [?]: 60 [1], given: 44

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9279 [4], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2013, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Mission2012 wrote:

Hi,

Look at the sentence structure below

 Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power,
     whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

The clauses in option C are indeed parallel.

The entities being compared are “energy produced in France” and “energy produced in Germany”.

Observe the verb-ed modifiers “produced in France” and “produced in Germany”.

They appropriately add relevant information to “energy” in both the clauses.

The clauses are essentially comparing relevant entities without any grammatical issues.

The sentence conveys the meaning unambiguously. (Unlike Option D, where the “energy” in the second element is ambiguous).

Therefore there are no parallelism issues in Option C.

However, “the energy” in the underlined portion of Option D refers back to the already mentioned energy in the option i.e. “energy produced in France”. This gives the incorrect meaning that “just over 33% of the energy produced in France comes from nuclear power in Germany.”

This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hence Option D is incorrect.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Krishna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9279 [4], given: 340

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 02:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
metallicafan wrote:
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%.

I have the following doubts with these questions:

a) In choice C, the subject in the first part of the comparison is "over 75 percent of the energy produced in France", while the subject in the second part is "nuclear power". How can these be parallel? Also, based on the explanations of other questions, the compared clauses should be parallel in structure, so the second clause should be something like "(whereas) just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany comes from nuclear power". As you can see, now both structures are similar and the things that are compared are logically parallel (percentage vs. percentage). I don't understand, how C can be correct.

If you see choice E, my analysis would be correct. There, the sentence compares "over 75 percent of the energy produced in France" vs. "energy from nuclear power in Germany": not parallel.

b) In choice E, the OE says that "it" is ambiguous, and Ron Purewal (MGMAT) mentions that "it" doesn't have an antecedent. But I think that "it" refers to "the energy from nuclear power in Germany". I think that there is no problem with "it". If you replace the pronoun for that noun, it works.

Please, your help with this problem.

"while in" implies "at the same time", that's not the intended meaning of the author. A gone

B compares energy to Germany, so B is gone. D implies that 33% of Frances energy comes from Germany, that's not the intended meaning of the author, D is gone.
E uses "compared with", which is idiomatically incorrect, you say "compared TO", because "compared WITH" is awkward and unclear. It implies that you're simply doing an arbitrary comparison between X and Y.

C uses correct parallelism "Over 75% of X is produced in Y... WHEREAS X accounts for 33% produced in Z" Correct past participle, correct objects to compare, and correct comparison indicator "whereas".. That's why we use C

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 47

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2014, 18:11
Hi aeglorre
Your explanations is good but I have a doubt about "COMPARED WITH". You say that is idiomatically incorrect but in lessons of E-Gmat they say the following is idiomatically correct for Gmat Testers:

Compared to
Compared with
In Comparison to
In Comparison With
In contrast to
In contrast With

So...? :s

Jumled L.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 05:51
I also believe there is not substantial difference between "compared to" and "compared with". While there are many sources on that net that do mention the differences, but I think they are slightly ambiguous for the most part.

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 08:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
When you compare unlike elements, you should use "compare to". For e.g. The famous statement by Shakespeare, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" Here, a person is compared to a day. For such implied comparisons, you must use "compare to".

While comparing similar elements, you can use either "compare with" (preferred) or "compare to".

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 911 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 22:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
To summarize:

Between (C) and (D) we should check the modification error.

(D).33% of THE energy ( which energy)

(C). THE energy produced in Germany

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 911 [0], given: 322

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [2], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
A. while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
B. compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
C. whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
D. whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E. compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

my doubts are related to Ellipsis.Please clarify.

meaning- The author says that over 75 percent of the total energy produced in France comes from the nuclear power, while only 33 percent of the total energy produced in Germany comes from nuclear power.

A) Incorrect- while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

1) According to me here IT is ambiguous.

while in Germany ( the energy produced from) it (nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.

while in Germany it(the energy) (produced from nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.

So it can refer to either the energy or nuclear power.

2)According to me there is ambiguity in comparison too.

while in Germany ( the energy produced from) it (nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.
this sentence doesn't convey the intended comparison, it doesn't say that 33 percent of the total energy produced in Germany.

while (the energy produced ) in Germany (from) it (nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.
This is the intended meaning.

Option B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent.

even this is ambiguous.

if we don't use ellipsis.
The energy produced in France is compared to Germany.(this is incorrect)

with ellipsis.
compared to ( the energy produced from nuclear power in ) Germany,which uses just over 33 percent.

Even this doesn't state the intended meaning but my point is that there are 2 comparisons possible.

DOUBT- is this all correct ?? or have i gone too far with Ellipsis. am i missing something.

And can we use that the comparison is illogical or incorrect because we didnt use ellipsis as i did in option B)

if we don't use ellipsis.
The energy produced in France is compared to Germany.(this is incorrect)

Kudos [?]: 9 [2], given: 10

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2014, 01:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 86 posts ] 

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap