GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71
Re: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 16:34
daagh wrote:
Can we count sensitivity as one sensitivity, two sensitivities, and three sensitivities? Can we say that we have two sensitivities, one in the morning and another in the evening? Sensitivity is the generic name given to the kind of general feeling that emanates within us. It is similar to hunger, appetite or anger and we do not say we have hungers, appetites, or angers.

I totally understand what you say. I've found some sentences in online dictionaries that use the word sensitivity in its plural form. Could you please explain the difference in their use? What makes the use of plural form justified in these following sentences, but not in this question?

the only rules that matter are practical ones that respect local sensitivities.

He possessed a fine grasp of human sensitivities, and the way he went about presenting the cups of tea was a lesson in diplomacy.

Your intelligence, your sensitivities... your strength of will.

They are aware of American political sensitivities about their country's role.

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

MGMAT1 :590 Q42 V30 (07/07/18)
VERITAS :660 Q48 V33 (16/07/18)
GMATPREP1 :690 Q46 V36 (22/07/18)
GMATPREP2 :740 Q51 V39 (06/08/18)
ECONOMIST :740 Q49 V44 (11/08/18)
KAPLAN :690 Q49 V36 (17/08/18)
PRINCETON :690 Q48 V38 (26/08/18)
MGMAT2 :720 Q43 V45 (02/09/18)
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 09:41
To me answer E draws the comparison between all 3 equally.. while in the intial sentance the comparison is drawn between monkeys and marmosets on the one hnd and humans on the other.. answer E changes the meaning of the sentence because it implys that outside the range the sensitivity for all three may differ not just between monkeys/marmosets on one hand and humans on the other.. is there something im missing??

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 11:21
Top Contributor
The core idea of the passage is to bring out the levels of haring sensitivity among three types of organisms, say A, B, and C and not to compare the sensitivity of A and B on one hand with C on the other. That the sensitivity of the all three happens to be similar up to 5000 Hertz is stated to highlight the difference among the three beyond that range.

This is the essence of the passage from top to bottom and in all the choices and so, there is no need to read in - between - the - lines that E distorts the original intent.

The choice of the correct answer is made easy here because the first four choices are popping up a visible goof-up

Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ.

(A) Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans -- illegal comparison between sensitivity and humans.

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz -- illegal comparison

(C) Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar -- illegal comparison

(D) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar-- Illegal comparison

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz-- This choice cleverly avoids the comparison altogether.

The Serenity Prayer - A GMAT aspirant’s first entreaty
Over 200 pages of personal course ma[color=#959595]terial on all gamuts of GMAT SC for non-native speakers, great value for the money; 919884544509[/color]
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2019, 01:25
quick solving =
"Compared to" and "similar" is redundancy hence B D E out .
between A and E

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, above which the sensitivity begins to differ. correct 1= "which" correctly modify hertz . 2= correct comparison

(A)Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ. = 1= INCORRECT use of "which" 2= incorrect comparison as I COLORED !
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 10:23
Before "above which" there must be the frequencies => strike out A, C, D

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz
=> Mistake in parallelism when comparing humans with hearing sensitivity

So E is correct!
Re: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2019, 10:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics