Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [47]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [5]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
#Top150 CR: Over an eleven-month period during which national retail [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail computer sales remained stable at 400,000 units per month,
sales by the Friendly Computer Stores chain rose 200 percent, increasing the chain’s share of the total market to 7 percent.
Other retail stores tried, without success, to attract customers away from the Friendly chain.

Then regulation X was imposed on all computer retailers by the federal government.
In the ensuing months, Friendly’s total share of the market fell to 4 percent, even though its monthly sales volume remained at the same level it had reached just prior to the enactment of regulation X.

Each of the following, in conjunction with the information presented above, could be true EXCEPT:

A. All other computer retailers experienced a drop in their sales volume during the four-month period following the enactment of regulation X. (Since FCS lost its total share of the market others should have experienced a rise in their sales. This can be the answer.)

B. All other computer companies lost some market share during the four-month period prior to the enactment of regulation X.
(This addresses the paradox.)

C. The enactment of regulation X provided the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have.

D. The enactment of regulation X did not provide the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have; other dramatic changes in other market forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share.

E. In the period following the enactment of regulation X, many new computer retailers that specialized in low-budget computers entered the marketplace.(This addresses the paradox.)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail computer sal [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry, I agree that this problem type isn't likely to show up on the GMAT, but there's nothing sloppy about the logic. The LSAT uses this format all the time, as in the problem this was copied from! "Could be true EXCEPT" just translates to "MUST BE FALSE," and as you've shown, only A must be false.

In any case, I couldn't find a GMAT question with this format, although I did find a discrepancy question that uses "could . . . EXCEPT": https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-tobacco- ... 12457.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Send PM
Re: #Top150 CR: Over an eleven-month period during which national retail [#permalink]
Hi Experts/ chetan2u / mikemcgarry

In this thread the OA given is A,
but in other thread
over-an-eleven-month-period-during-which-national-retail-co-96396.html
OA is D.

Can you please suggest, which is correct...??

Let me debrief what I have understood with an example and please tell me weather I understood the question wrong or my reasoning is wrong-->

Let say there are 4 companies exist in the market-
Toshiba- A computer company
Lenovo- A computer company
Honda- An Automobile company
Maruti- An Automobile company

If at present in computer industry Toshiba market share rose to 7%, then there must be any COMPUTER FIRM whose market share has been decreased.
Similary, if Toshiba market share decrease to 7%, then there must be any COMPUTER FIRM whose market share has been increased.
According to me, if a firm in a particular industry performs well, then there must be a firm which has not performed well.

Note- According to me, weather Toshiba market share increase or decrease.. OTHER industries ( eg. Automobile, textile etc etc) will have no impact on their performance.

So, in this argument wht I understood is..
Friendly is a computer industry whose market share increase to 7% and then a regulation X has been imposed. After imposition of regulation X, friendly market share has been decreased to 4%.

If friendly market share increase to 7% prior imposition of regulation X then there must be a COMPUTER firm whose performance decrease.

and if friendly market share decrease to 4% post imposition of regulation X then there must be a COMPUTER firm whose performance increased.

In my opinion if any kind of fluctuations going on in ny industry then the result of it will only impact that particular industry not any other industry.
Eg- If Toshiba is performing well in the market, then it can only impact the market share of Lenovo but not on HONDA or MAruti.
Similarly,
If Honda is performing well in the market, then it can only impact the market share of MAruti but not on Toshiba or Lenovo.

Now, lets look at the options,
_____________________________________________________________________________________
A. All other computer retailers experienced a drop in their sales volume during the four-month period following the enactment of regulation X.

D. The enactment of regulation X did not provide the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have; other dramatic changes in other market forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

D says OTHER dramatic changes in OTHER MARKET forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share

Other dramatic changes in other market forces CAN't impact Friendly which is a computer industry
I hope D can't be possible and hence should be the answer

Can you please assist....

Thank and Regards,
Prakhar
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Send PM
Re: #Top150 CR: Over an eleven-month period during which national retail [#permalink]
Hi chetan2u,

I got what I was missing...
Can you please have a look on this situation and tell .Is my reasoning correct..??

If at present in computer industry Toshiba market share rose to 7%, then there must be any COMPUTER FIRM whose market share has been decreased.
Similary, if Toshiba market share decrease to 7%, then there must be any COMPUTER FIRM whose market share has been increased.
According to me, if a firm in a particular industry performs well, then there must be a firm which has not performed well.

Note- According to me, weather Toshiba market share increase or decrease.. OTHER industries ( eg. Automobile, textile etc etc) will have no impact on their performance.

Friendly is a computer industry whose market share increase to 7% and then a regulation X has been imposed. After imposition of regulation X, friendly market share has been decreased to 4%.

If friendly market share increase to 7% prior imposition of regulation X then there must be a COMPUTER firm whose performance decrease.

and if friendly market share decrease to 4% post imposition of regulation X then there must be a COMPUTER firm whose performance increased.

In my opinion if any kind of fluctuations going on in ny industry then the result of it will only impact that particular industry not any other industry.
Eg- If Toshiba is performing well in the market, then it can only impact the market share of Lenovo but not on HONDA or MAruti.
Similarly,
If Honda is performing well in the market, then it can only impact the market share of MAruti but not on Toshiba or Lenovo.

Is this reasoning correct..?

Please assist.
Thnks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

I got what I was missing...
Can you please have a look on this situation and tell .Is my reasoning correct..??

Similarly,

Is this reasoning correct..?

Please assist.
Thnks

Hi,
you are correct to an extent..
the point is what does other market forces MEAN..
Does it MEAN market forces other than enactment of regulation could have had impact on this decline..

what we are told is tht after enactment of X,the share fell, it could be a mere coincidence too..
had it been Strengthening , yes we would have used it in the favour of our answer that X had something to do with the decline, but here we are looking for COULD..

although the answer in the other is given as D, and may be OA is D, i will hold my grounds on A
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Re: Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail computer sal [#permalink]
Expert Reply
As others have pointed out, the answer is listed as A in other forums, and A is the only logical answer. If Friendly's sales are the same but its market share is down, then some of its competitors must have seen an increase in market share. Even if new vendors entered the market, they would still have to see an increase in market share (from zero to positive!) in order to impact Friendly's market share. A cannot possibly be true given the initial information, so it has to be the answer.

(I should add that this is clearly copied from an official LSAT question--PT 31-2-15, for anyone who wants to look it up. In that question, A is the answer for exactly the same reason, so it's pretty clear that A is the intended answer. The original post here should be corrected.)
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
wayne7teng, I see no reason to say that if A were false, B and E would also have to be false. B talks about the period before the regulation, when Friendly was on the rise. Nothing that happens later can invalidate this choice on its own. As for E, it's perfectly compatible with A being false. The entry of a new vendor does not necessitate a drop in *sales volume* on the part of other vendors.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
gmatprep09 wrote:
Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail computer sales remained stable at 400,000 units per month, sales by the Friendly Computer Stores chain rose 200 percent, increasing the chain’s share of the total market to 7 percent. Other retail stores tried, without success, to attract customers away from the Friendly chain. Then regulation X was imposed on all computer retailers by the federal government. In the ensuing months, Friendly’s total share of the market fell to 4 percent, even though its monthly sales volume remained at the same level it had reached just prior to the enactment of regulation X.

Each of the following, in conjunction with the information presented above, could be true EXCEPT:

(1) All other computer retailers experienced a drop in their sales volume during the four-month period following the enactment of regulation X.

(2) All other computer companies lost some market share during the four-month period prior to the enactment of regulation X.

(3) The enactment of regulation X provided the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have.

(4) The enactment of regulation X did not provide the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have; other dramatic changes in other market forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share.

(5) In the period following the enactment of regulation X, many new computer retailers that specialized in low-budget computers entered the marketplace.

I don't have the highest opinion of this question. Among other things, I don't know that I have ever seen an official question of a "could be true" variety. The GMAT CR definitely has "must be true" questions, but this is a looser and sloppier variation that the GMAT doesn't explore.

We know that, during the first eleven-month period before Regulation X, Friendly Computer Stores tripled its sales and shot up to 7% of the market space.
Then, Regulation X goes into effect. In the next moths, Friendly Computer Stores keeps its high levels of sales, but this same value now counts for a smaller percent. A percent is a part over whole ratio. If the part, FCS's sales, stays the same and the percent goes down, this means that the whole, the sales across the whole industry. It absolutely must be true that other computer companies had increased sales during the period following Regulation X.

(A) All other computer retailers experienced a drop in their sales volume during the four-month period following the enactment of regulation X.
This baldly contradicts what we know must be true. There is absolutely no way this statement could be true. This is a promising choice for the answer.

(B) All other computer companies lost some market share during the four-month period prior to the enactment of regulation X.
Certainly, if FCS gained market share, at least some other companies lost market share. Yes, it is at least conceivable that EACH and EVERY other company lost market share. That could in a magical special case world. This is part of what is sloppy about this entire format.

(C) The enactment of regulation X provided the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have.
This is certainly plausible, because it seems that the competitors increased their sales while FCS stayed flat.

(D) The enactment of regulation X did not provide the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have; other dramatic changes in other market forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share.
This is tempting, though not in the way that good GMAT CR wrong answer would be a distractor. It's possible that general condition fostered by Regulation X favored wild grow in the market, and these conditions allowed all other companies to make headway, but that something unrelated to Regulation X (lawsuit, labor dispute, accident, etc.) hampered FCS, such that in these otherwise favorable general conditions, the best it could do was to tread water and maintain the level where they already were.

(E) In the period following the enactment of regulation X, many new computer retailers that specialized in low-budget computers entered the marketplace.
This certainly would explain the increase in the competitors and increase in size of the entire sector.

Choice (B), (C), (D), and (E) are choices that could be true, so these are wrong. (A) is the only one that is strictly impossible, so this is the correct answer.

Once again, I think the "could be true" question format is sloppy. The official questions are much more logically tight.

Here's a book review that may be germane:
Princeton Review GMAT Book Review: Cracking the GMAT 2017

Mike :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts