Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [66]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [21]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [4]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Over the last 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink]
can somebody please explain the OA?

As per Average concept, if a sample with n elements have average X and for a n+1 element to come and increase the average of the sample, the (n+1)th element need to have value greater than sample average i.e X.

How come increasing the number of people under age 18 increases the average from 52 to 57?

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Re: Over the last 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Subhashish

I'll try to help
we have to strengthen the fact that the number of people over 65 have increased.
Now, how can we increase the average. you are write with your approach. whenever something greater than the average is added to the set.

Now consider this,
we add a figure to a set that is actually less than the average.
Average is going to decrease.
but what if we have to increase the average ?
we will first have to add the relevant amount( equal to the amount less than the average to bring it back to the normal) and then increase it some more.

Answer choice A does exactly just that: its says that the no of people below 18 has decreased. but we already know that the overall average has increased. thus there must be some addition of a figure that is greater than the average to increase the average.

However this choice will make sure that the no of people over 55 has increased, but it can not guarantee that the no of people over 65 has increased.
but if you will look at the other answer choices, they have graver loopholes in them.

Hope this helps.
Shubhasish wrote:
can somebody please explain the OA?

As per Average concept, if a sample with n elements have average X and for a n+1 element to come and increase the average of the sample, the (n+1)th element need to have value greater than sample average i.e X.

How come increasing the number of people under age 18 increases the average from 52 to 57?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Kaczet,i’ll do my best to let u understand why A is the answer and not B(since u’ve said B should be the answer)

Conclusion = “the number of people with age over 65 yrs has increased DRAMATICALLY”

Premise = “the average age has increased from 52 to 57”.The premises are facts that need to be taken as hard truths.

A-The number of people under 18 has increased = implies that the number of people older 52 has to increase(because the average has increased)

Now how does this strenthen the conclusion that 65+ increased..?

The difference between (52 and 18) is bigger than (52 and 65).So if the average increased from 52 to 57 the number bigger than 65 has to even bigger because the number below 18 has increased.

B-If the birth rate has come down,it strengthens the fact that the number of 65+ People also should have come down.

Consider this= previously when the birth rate was high(consider their age to be 0 or 1).to even this out(because avg has increased from 52 to 57), the people with 65+ Should have gone up for sure.Now since the number of births has come down,the number of 65+ need not necessarily increase.

Phew!!!excuse me for the long explanation.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [1]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Over the last 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink]
Kudos
nightblade354 wrote:
Over the last 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people over the age of 65 living in this region. This is evident from the fact that during this time the average age of people living in this region has increased from approximately 52 to 57 years.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

(A) The number of people in the region under the age of 18 has increased over the last 10 years.
(B) The birth rate for the region decreased significantly over the last 10 years.
(C) The total number of people living in the region has decreased over the last 10 years.
(D) The number of people who moved into the region over the last 10 years is greater than the number of those who moved out.
(E) The average age for people in the region is higher than that for people in the surrounding regions.

This is a great question.

As per premise:
Cause: Over the last 10 years, the average age of people living in this region has increased from approximately 52 to 57 years.
Effect: there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people over the age of 65 living in this region.

---younger group------Average ------elder group---

The conclusion is strengthened if we can show that age group of over 65 has contributed to the increase in average age from 52 to 57 years, and this is bolstered if the other age group on the left side of average (the younger group) has not pulled the average down.
A indicates just that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Over the last 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose B, but now understand why A is the answer.

For B, if birth rate went down and there is less babies than 10 years ago, this means the average could have just gone up from 52 to 57 if people in other age groups have just aged and increased the average age.

However, for A, teenagers grew steadily, then there must have been a higher increase in the older groups to increase the average age from 52 to 57, therefore strengthening the argument .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
Over the last 10 years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people over the age of 65 living in this region. This is evident from the fact that during this time the average age of people living in this region has increased from approximately 52 to 57 years.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

Argument - Since, the average age of the people living in a region has increased from 52 to 57 --> number of people over 65 years of age has increased.

(A) The number of people in the region under the age of 18 has increased over the last 10 years.
- Let us consider that the average is given as: (A + B + C) / (number of people). Here A = number of people younger than 52 ; B= number of people in the age range of 52 - 65 ; C = number of people elder than 65
Thus, is A has increased and the average also has increased, hence C (our target group) has to increase
- Correct

(B) The birth rate for the region decreased significantly over the last 10 years.
- Considering the same formula to calculate average --> in this case they are saying that A has decreased, causing the contribution of elders to average age to increase. Thus, the increase is not because of increase in the number of people elder than 65 years old.
- To a certain extent this can infact act as a weakener
- Wrong

(C) The total number of people living in the region has decreased over the last 10 years.
- Similar to B, this can infact act as a weakener.
- wrong

(D) The number of people who moved into the region over the last 10 years is greater than the number of those who moved out.
- This statement explains the rise in the denominator. However, on the numerator side, either of three groups could increase.
- Wrong

(E) The average age for people in the region is higher than that for people in the surrounding regions.
- Irrelevant
- Wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM