Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [160]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [15]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [9]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey in the first question, we are asked to provide an "inference" which MUST be true according to the passage!
Also, the passage says nothing about dilution during low levels of straying. It just says that with low levels of straying, there is a solid mix of new genes which could be good for the area. That is the are could or could not benefit from low straying. It becomes crucial if the population of fishes decline in the other area which could be increased by moderate level of straying. (please note that the new population could or could not be diluted: not indicated in the passage). It just means that low levels of straying could save a dying fish population.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Re: Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e [#permalink]
Mike,
Thanks for your kind reply. I am not clear, and I am still confused about both the answer choices.

mikemcgarry wrote:
B is quite wrong because the passage makes very clear --- when a stream is polluted, straying happens, which means dilution happens. The passage describes clearly the straying that resulted from the Mount St. Helen's eruption, and then around line (70) says that the effect of pollution probably would be about the same as what they saw at Mount St. Helen's. When the stream is polluted, the salmon can't use it to spawn, so they stray.

For the first one, as you have stated above, I think that both of us are on the same page : when the stream gets polluted, the polluted stream's salmon population cannot spawn, and hence they have to find other stream to spawn, leading to straying. Isn't this same as saying "preserving without dilution" i.e. the polluted stream's population can be preserved when there is low-level of straying? Now to extend this idea - why do I think that we can preserve the polluted stream's population? It's because in lines 35-40 it's stated that their genes can be preserved. I am still not able to see why B) is incorrect.

I see dear Douvik's point in that "dilution" is not explicitly stated while discussing 'low levels of straying.' I am not sure whether these are grounds to eliminate B. The passage does talk about high-levels of straying, and has explicitly stated that low-levels of straying is better than high-level straying because of the dilution issue. Can't we infer that the dilution doesn't happen in the case of low-level straying. I am not sure about this. It seems logical to me and within the boundaries of the passage.

mikemcgarry wrote:

(E) is a typically GMAT RC distractor, and you fell for the bait. It is a statement that's true in general, but not relevant to the argument. Suppose we said that there was no such thing as a "pristine" perfect place for salmon --- suppose even the environments with zero pollution had natural challenges. Well, then, the salmon in those environments, over the centuries, would adapt to those particular conditions and be quite fit, and then if others stray into their unique stream and interbreed with them, it will reduce the fitness of that population.

For the second one, this is a great 'assumption' question. Let's dissect this further. Conclusion: "Disturbances cause by humans lower the overall fitness of subsequent generation in 'mixed' streams." Premise, as you stated, the salmon in those pristine areas had adaptions particular suited to those areas, which made them quite fit, and along come a bunch of salmon from the polluted stream next door, and they genetically dilute the salmon of that pristine stream, making them less adapted to that unique niche, and hence less fit. I agree 100%. That was my understanding as well. However, I am still not able to see the correctness of C).

No let's negate C - Salmonids in none of the streams benefit from particular local adaptations. In my opinion, this has no effect on the conclusion. The conclusion is about comparing the overall fitness levels between "pristine" population (i.e. native population) and "mixed" population (i.e. native + newly strayed ones). Who cares whether 1% of population benefits from the adaptation or 90% of the native population benefits from the adaptation. We are concerned about the causal link between human activity and the lowering of the overall fitness. It could be possible that the native population is only 1% fit, and the straying would decrease this further down to 0.05%. Do I care about the level of fitness of the native population? No. I am only concerned about the "lowering" of fitness. I am still not clear.

Now let's negate E- (I must admit that while solving this question, I was unsatisfied with all the answer choices and had no option than to choose E) from C and E (50% chance :( ) ) -- I agree that we don't care whether the pristine streams are affected by natural disaster or not. We are only concerned about the link between "human activity" and the lowering of overall Darwinian fitness.

Can you please help me? I am really confused.

Thanks
Voodoo Child
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tae808 wrote:
Is the word "stream" in this passage and questions refer to habitat?
stream=habitat?
Please comment!!

Dear tae808,

I'm happy to respond my friend. :-)

A "habitat" is the environment in which a living thing is designed to live, the place where it naturally thrives. For a deer, the habitat is a forest. For a giraffe, the habitat is the Serengeti. For a salmon, the habitat, for at least part of its life cycle, is a stream. Many things live in a healthy stream, so for these animals, it is a habitat. Does this make sense?

Mike
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [4]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
RMD007 wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
6 min My answers are E D B E . Can you explain me the answer for 12th

I think 12th question answer should be C instead of E if we think about the lines in last paragraph .

6 Mins :o that's awesome!! To read the paragraph itself it took 6 mins for me :P Any tips sir..

I took 12 minutes, all correct.. Yes, last one should be C.

- Read question first - Ignore all the relative clauses , dependent clauses and Examples ; Make structure words exception . Map the paragraph in maximum 4 - 5 words .
General question - guess first
Detail question - use map to come to parah and check
Well i guess this is what a GMAT preparing guy should do. Rather than understanding whole parah and answering form memory.
Think RC is BIG CR question, where background info plays no role.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
tae808 wrote:
stream=habitat?
Please comment!!

Dear tae808,

A "habitat" is the environment in which a living thing is designed to live, the place where it naturally thrives. For a deer, the habitat is a forest. For a giraffe, the habitat is the Serengeti. For a salmon, the habitat, for at least part of its life cycle, is a stream. Many things live in a healthy stream, so for these animals, it is a habitat. Does this make sense?

Mike

Dear Mike,
Hope you can help with this question

6. Which of the following does the author mention as support for the view that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates?

(A) The existence of salmon populations in rivers where the elimination of salmon habitat by human activity had previously made the fish extinct
(B) The results of studies measuring the impact on straying rates of habitat loss caused by human activity
(C) The potential for disturbances in one environment to cause the introduction of novel genes into salmon populations in neighboring areas
(D) The weaknesses in the view that the extinction of entire salmon populations is the only mechanism by which human destruction of salmon habitat reduces genetic diversity in salmon
(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activitiy would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

I cannot find any support for option D.
No where in the passage does it say or imply " elimination of entire salmon population is the only way that leads to reduction in genetic diversity"

So the question of weakness in this view does not arise.

I thought answer for this question should be E.

May be I am missing something. Thanks for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
stne wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
tae808 wrote:
stream=habitat?
Please comment!!

Dear tae808,

Mike

Dear Mike,
Hope you can help with this question

6. Which of the following does the author mention as support for the view that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates?

(A) The existence of salmon populations in rivers where the elimination of salmon habitat by human activity had previously made the fish extinct
(B) The results of studies measuring the impact on straying rates of habitat loss caused by human activity
(C) The potential for disturbances in one environment to cause the introduction of novel genes into salmon populations in neighboring areas
(D) The weaknesses in the view that the extinction of entire salmon populations is the only mechanism by which human destruction of salmon habitat reduces genetic diversity in salmon
(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activitiy would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

No where in the passage does it say or imply " elimination of entire salmon population is the only way that leads to reduction in genetic diversity"

May be I am missing something. Thanks for your help.

I'm also having trouble with this one. This is probably wrong but this is the only way I can make the OA fit.

what are the weaknesses mentioned?

There is only one as far as I can tell and that is by introducing another possible mechanism by which human destruction of Salmon habitat could reduce genetic diversity. Severe disturbances caused by natural disasters have led to an increase in straying which could limit genetic diversity if as indicated the fish that stray interbreed with the existing stock to such a degree that any local adaptations that are present become diluted. It then goes on to say that environmental disturbances caused by human destruction would likely have the same effect (the reason for the confusion with E.)

So what supports the idea that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates? (D) The fact that environmental disturbances caused by natural disasters have lead to an increase in straying.

(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activity would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

My thinking is that E. might need to be combined with D. for it to be in support and so not correct.

I really hope one of the experts could explain the logic behind this question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM

May be I am missing something. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

I'm also having trouble with this one. This is probably wrong but this is the only way I can make the OA fit.

what are the weaknesses mentioned?

There is only one as far as I can tell and that is by introducing another possible mechanism by which human destruction of Salmon habitat could reduce genetic diversity. Severe disturbances caused by natural disasters have led to an increase in straying which could limit genetic diversity if as indicated the fish that stray interbreed with the existing stock to such a degree that any local adaptations that are present become diluted. It then goes on to say that environmental disturbances caused by human destruction would likely have the same effect (the reason for the confusion with E.)

So what supports the idea that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates? (D) The fact that environmental disturbances caused by natural disasters have lead to an increase in straying.

(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activity would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

My thinking is that E. might need to be combined with D. for it to be in support and so not correct.

I really hope one of the experts could explain the logic behind this question.[/quote]

E is clearly wrong because disturbances brought by human activity is indeed different from disturbances by natural causes,
D is correct because D says that the following reasoning is wrong: the disturbances by human activity is the only mechanism that eliminates entire population of the fish (in the first paragraph)
C is the trap that I still do not fully understand
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I found this passage extremely difficult.... Not able to eliminate answer choices for 4 out of 6 questions... And I took almost 14 mintutes of 6 question.

My worry is; what should be a strategy if this passage pops up in actual exam?

Experts : Please suggest.. bb mikemcgarry
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pratik1709 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I found this passage extremely difficult.... Not able to eliminate answer choices for 4 out of 6 questions... And I took almost 14 mintutes of 6 question.

Check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for some tips: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... l#p1857560
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pratik1709 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Dear pratik1709,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, please don't bother bb--he's a busy man.

My friend, I think you need to practice reading in general. This is not about an isolated strategy. This is about building your deep understanding of English. See this article:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM

Can experts here help me understand the process to reach answer in this one.
I was able to remove only A and ended up selecting C :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:

Can experts here help me understand the process to reach answer in this one.
I was able to remove only A and ended up selecting C :(

Luckisnoexcuse not an expert but can try to help you with this
I spent a lot of time figuring why otion e is wrong and oprion d is right.
In para 1 author states that""""the numerical effect is obvious: there are fewer salmon in degraded regions than in pristine ones; however, habitat loss also has the potential to reduce genetic diversity. This is most evident in cases where it results in the extinction of entire salmon populations[/color]
Now according to him the habitat loss as well as population loss are both connected to the numerical effect
in the last paragraph author states thatAlthough no one has quantified changes in the rate of straying as a result of the disturbances caused by humans, there is no reason to suspect that the effect would be qualitatively different than what was seen in the aftermath of the Mount Saint Helens eruption.
what does this mean
it means that earlier author was talking about numbers effect on the habitat loss ((( loss of genes))
then he switches to the second paragraph and tells a whole deal about straying and then gives a particular example of Mount Saint Helens eruption. After that he makes an analogy of rate of habitat destruction by comparing the quantified analysis of mount saint Helens eruption mentioned in last lines of second paragraph to yet to be quantified analysis of human destruction of habitat by straying

So, we start the passage beliving that numerical effect is causing the habitat loss, move on to a discussion on straying as habitat loss , give an example, and in final paragraph we compare humans and mount Saint Helens eruptions rate of habitat destructions by straying
option d states that The weaknesses in the view that the extinction of entire salmon populations is the only mechanism by which human destruction of salmon habitat reduces genetic diversity in salmon
You can clearly see the weakness now .The view of numerical effect to consider the loss of habitat.However, its the
straying effect that hasnt been considered ((( yet to be quantified as mentioned in last paragraph)) totally in how humans are destroying loss of habitat
Hope it helps :)
Kudos are always welcome
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos