GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:36) correct 70% (02:18) wrong based on 211 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car has steadily increased in relation to average individual income. This increase indicates that individuals who buy new cars today spend, on average, a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago.

Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the argument?

(A) There has been a significant increase over the last 25 years in the proportion of individuals in households with more than one wage earner.
(B) The number of used cars sold annually is the same as it was 25 years ago.
(C) Allowing for inflation, average individual income has significantly declined over the last 25 years.
(D) During the last 25 years, annual new-car sales and population have both increased, but new-car sales have increased by a greater percentage.
(E) Sales to individuals make up a smaller proportion of all new-car sales they did 25 years ago.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 09:55
Source :
http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/pt- ... t1721.html

Explanation as per the above thread :

This is a tough question, in large part, I believe, because the issue that the right answer addresses is NOT the issue we typically associate with this type of question --

Notice that the argument involves somewhat well-hidden proportions -- price of car relative to income both now and 25 years ago.

Most problems involving somewhat well-hidden proportions will typically try to get you on a proportion vs amount issue (a proportion of money spent does not equate to an amount), but that's not the case here --

Instead, the right answer, (E), hits on a different issue -- a mismatch between the premise and conclusion -- between "average price paid for a new car" and "average price paid for a new car by individuals." The author assumes these to be the same, but they are not -- it could be that the evidence is true based on cars bought by government, businesses, taxi companies etc, so we cannot use it (without an assumption) to reach any conclusion about individuals who buy cars.

Therefore,(E) weakens the argument by showing that the bond between premise and conclusion is not as strong as the author assumed.

Hope that helps!
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 20:59
Good question indeed. Even I went for option A and had already eliminated E mostly,because I could not comprehend in a p roper manner how it relates to the argument.

Yes, OA is indeed E,which clearly hits the relation between the premise and the conclusion.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2011, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
'What's missing from the discussion are the actual numbers, or any mention of exactly *who* these "average individuals" are, or *how many* of them there are, or how many cars they buy.

So let's think about that for a minute. Take the perspective of someone debating with this author and think of ways that his/her conclusion might not be quite right.

What if mostly super rich individuals buy cars these days, for example? Sure, the price of cars has gone up relative to the "average" income, but if most folks who are actually doing the buying are gazillion-ares, then it's not true that individuals spend a greater proportion of their income on cars, is it?'

this is in fact critical reasoning. dissecting the 'average' word used and then attacking the conclusion.

What if there are more companies and families (as distinguished from individuals) buying bigger cars these days? This could drive the "average" price of a car up, but it wouldn't change the proportion of an individuals' income spent on a car, necessarily. Maybe individuals are buying the cheapest cars out there, and the "average" is just inflated by all the families and companies buying up more pricey autos.

now dissecting 'individual' word and attacking the conclusion . can such question be handled with in the time constraints ? need some strategy

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Reviews Badge
Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 09:25
Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car has steadily increased in relation to average individual income. This increase indicates that individuals who buy new cars today spend, on average, a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago.

Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the argument?

(A) There has been a significant increase over the last 25 years in the proportion of individuals in households with more than one wage earner.

(B) The number of used cars sold annually is the same as it was 25 years ago.

(C) Allowing for inflation, average individual income has significantly declined over the last 25 years.

(D) During the last 25 years, annual new-car sales and the population have both increased, but new-car sales have increased by a greater percentage.

(E) Sales to individuals make up a smaller proportion of all new-car sales than they did 25 years ago.

Source: LSAT

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 09:42
Narrowed down to C and E. I will go for E because if C is true then it will strengthen the argument rather than weaken.

Pls point out my mistakes so that I can improve ..

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 10:37
kumarparitosh123 wrote:
Narrowed down to C and E. I will go for E because if C is true then it will strengthen the argument rather than weaken.

Pls point out my mistakes so that I can improve ..

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You are right, C strengthens the argument.

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 03:41
I marked A too. But still not convinced with E.

Option E talks about the proportion of new cars as a whole segment. Like a collective average.

While the argument talks about INDIVIDUAL average expense going up. We can relate individual expense in option A.

Not sure! Anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 22:25
should be E.
The argument assumes that individuals do most of the new car purchases and hence arrives at conclusion that individual's proportion of individual income spent on new car is greater than 5 years ago.

Choice E, hits the nail on this assumption by saying most of the new cars are not purchased not by individuals but by some other corporations or etc, thereby reducing the proportion of new cars purchased by individuals.
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 02:11
Great Question. This is data invalidation type of weakener. Here E states that the author is utilizing a small portion's data to comment on global scale.
Answer should be E.
Re: Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 02:11

Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap