Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Weakenx         
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [62]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1331 [3]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car has stead [#permalink]
Kudos
'What's missing from the discussion are the actual numbers, or any mention of exactly *who* these "average individuals" are, or *how many* of them there are, or how many cars they buy.

So let's think about that for a minute. Take the perspective of someone debating with this author and think of ways that his/her conclusion might not be quite right.

What if mostly super rich individuals buy cars these days, for example? Sure, the price of cars has gone up relative to the "average" income, but if most folks who are actually doing the buying are gazillion-ares, then it's not true that individuals spend a greater proportion of their income on cars, is it?'

this is in fact critical reasoning. dissecting the 'average' word used and then attacking the conclusion.

What if there are more companies and families (as distinguished from individuals) buying bigger cars these days? This could drive the "average" price of a car up, but it wouldn't change the proportion of an individuals' income spent on a car, necessarily. Maybe individuals are buying the cheapest cars out there, and the "average" is just inflated by all the families and companies buying up more pricey autos.

now dissecting 'individual' word and attacking the conclusion . can such question be handled with in the time constraints ? need some strategy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
Re: Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car has stead [#permalink]
Narrowed down to C and E. I will go for E because if C is true then it will strengthen the argument rather than weaken.

Pls point out my mistakes so that I can improve ..

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4556 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Kudos
kumarparitosh123 wrote:
Narrowed down to C and E. I will go for E because if C is true then it will strengthen the argument rather than weaken.

Pls point out my mistakes so that I can improve ..

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You are right, C strengthens the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Bookmarks
I marked A too. But still not convinced with E.

Option E talks about the proportion of new cars as a whole segment. Like a collective average.

While the argument talks about INDIVIDUAL average expense going up. We can relate individual expense in option A.

Not sure! Anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
should be E.
The argument assumes that individuals do most of the new car purchases and hence arrives at conclusion that individual's proportion of individual income spent on new car is greater than 5 years ago.

Choice E, hits the nail on this assumption by saying most of the new cars are not purchased not by individuals but by some other corporations or etc, thereby reducing the proportion of new cars purchased by individuals.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Great Question. This is data invalidation type of weakener. Here E states that the author is utilizing a small portion's data to comment on global scale.
Answer should be E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Need some more information by expert still confuse by e , a and d

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
aka14 wrote:
Need some more information by expert still confuse by e , a and d

Posted from my mobile device

(A) Talks about a significant increase over the last 25 years in the proportion of individuals in households with more than one wage earner. whereas the conclusion states " individuals who buy new cars today spend, on average, a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago. " ,

Family Income of the Borrower is not to be considered for the increase in spending on cars for individuals...

(D) States both New Car Sales and Population where is doesn't mention anything about proportion of income spent, thus this option may be rejected.
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
nightblade354 i narrowed it down to A and E. Chose A. Why E is right? If you can help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
You're asking why E not A.

I eliminated A when i saw that A mentioned *proportion of individuals in households*. I was thinking how the cost of new car for the individual 25 years ago vs. cost new car for the individual now. That is how i eliminated A.

This is a weakening question so I must pick something that goes against the grain meaning somehow even though sales of cars have increased, sales of new cars has decreased or something in the new cars decreasing or as E says 'sales ... make up a smaller proportion...'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
The argument is saying the price paid for a new car w.r.t individual income has increased. The argument is assuming that individual income has remained the same.
The weakener here will be that individual income has also increased. Then the conclusion is weakened.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun and AndrewN
Quote:
Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car has steadily increased in relation to average individual income. This increase indicates that individuals who buy new cars today spend, on average, a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago.

Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the argument?

(A) There has been a significant increase over the last 25 years in the proportion of individuals in households with more than one wage earner.

(E) Sales to individuals make up a smaller proportion of all new-car sales they did 25 years ago.

Was stuck between A and E, although I could see why A is wrong, I don't understand how E is right.

Quote:
Individuals who buy new cars today spend a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago.

So the argument is talking about a category i.e Individuals who buy new cars.

Quote:
(E) Sales to individuals make up a smaller proportion of all new-car sales they did 25 years ago.

According to E such category is a small portion of a broader category (there maybe corporates who buy cars too) that is people who buy new cars.
However, the argument still stands strong as the E doesnt affect the category of individuals who buy cars.

Can you please help. thank you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
Quote:
Over the last 25 years, the average price paid for a new car has steadily increased in relation to average individual income. This increase indicates that individuals who buy new cars today spend, on average, a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago.

(A) There has been a significant increase over the last 25 years in the proportion of individuals in households with more than one wage earner.

Was stuck between A and E, although I could see why A is wrong, I don't understand how E is right.

Quote:
Individuals who buy new cars today spend a larger amount relative to their incomes buying a car than their counterparts did 25 years ago.

Quote:

According to E such category is a small portion of a broader category (there maybe corporates who buy cars too) that is people who buy new cars.
However, the argument still stands strong as the E doesnt affect the category of individuals who buy cars.

Hey,

E says that the sales Sales to individuals make up a smaller proportion of the new car sales that they did 25 years ago. Sales could be governments, corporates, etc and it is entirely possible that the new cares are being sold to the govts, companies, etc at a much much much higher rate that they are being sold to individuals because of which the the avg price of new cars is going up. This option is not a direct weakener, per se, but it distorts the argument pointing out a flaw in it. The flaw being that the overall avg price does not show a true story of the prices being charged to individuals.

I am no expert, but hope this helps and happy to discuss this further.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello, Hero1kF. I will be honest and say that (E) works as an answer on the LSAT, but I cannot come up with an analogous example within the official GMAT™ question pool. (Perhaps AjiteshArun will be able to find one.) As such, I would probably move on from this question, since it will not likely help you with the task at hand. If this were a GMAT™ question, I would expect (A) to correlate with a passage that mentioned households in the conclusion instead of individuals, or declined in choice (C) to say increased instead.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about this tough question.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello, Hero1kF. I will be honest and say that (E) works as an answer on the LSAT, but I cannot come up with an analogous example within the official GMAT™ question pool. (Perhaps AjiteshArun will be able to find one.) As such, I would probably move on from this question, since it will not likely help you with the task at hand. If this were a GMAT™ question, I would expect (A) to correlate with a passage that mentioned households in the conclusion instead of individuals, or declined in choice (C) to say increased instead.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about this tough question.

- Andrew

I think so too, find this question a little strange. However, I think A would be incorrect in GMAT too.
Thanks Homie!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

(B) The number of used cars sold annually is the same as it was 25 years ago.

(C) Allowing for inflation, average individual income has significantly declined over the last 25 years.

(D) During the last 25 years, annual new-car sales and population have both increased, but new-car sales have increased by a greater percentage.

(E) Sales to individuals make up a smaller proportion of all new-car sales they did 25 years ago. - CORRECT.

For larger part of my attempted time I thought i was going wrong with E but could not understand what exactly. Although i got it right but I am not satisfied with this choice as for individuals who bought cars the average still persists and passage stands intact considering them only.

Anyway it is what it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Conclusion - Individuals buying cars now are paying a greater proportion of their income to get that car ( because income has not risen like the money spend on the cars.

Pre-Thinking- MAYBE THE INDIVIDUALS BUYING THESE CARS ARE THE ONES WITH HIGHER INCOMES AND THUS THEY ARE NOT SPENDING A GREATER PROPORTION OF THEIR INCOMES AS COMPARED TO INDIVIDUALS 25 YEARS AGO DOING SO.

E) basically says the proportion of individuals buying cars HAS DECREASED which COMPANIES OR OTHER ENTITITES BUYING THE CARS MAYBE BE THE ONES GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE CARS weakening the argument saying INDIVIDUALS are spending more.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts