Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [15]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.52
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Overcoming the Verbal – (760 Q50, V42, AWA 6.0, IR8) [#permalink]
Kaplan Verbal was tougher than the actual GMAT, specially the RC. It was tougher due to the diversity in vocabulary used, combined with out of the world passage topics. In RC : the detail questions (questions which ask for specific details) were quite time consuming and really tough, the global questions (questions on the theme of the passage or based on the summary) were confusing too. CR and SC also were moderately tougher than the actual GMAT. Kaplan Quant was a level easier than the actual GMAT. In Kaplan, I used to get 60-65% of Verbal correct, but always got 42+ score.

I think MGMAT Verbal is more in line with the actual GMAT, but the Quant is way tougher than the actual GMAT. And yes, the OG13 questions seemed easier than MGMAT, Kaplan and even the actual GMAT.

I don't think that I am the model student, but here's my view on your case. You need to maintain your momentum in Quant, and improve drastically on Verbal. Given your circumstances, I would suggest :
1) Quant - Don't completely ignore it, just keep in touch so that your score doesn't drop. GMATCLUB tests are just perfect for this.
2) Verbal - Focus more on this, and do more questions. I learnt a lot by doing the same set of questions again and again just to learn the nuances, so that I don't miss those when they appear on test day. I think it gives a sub-conscious moral boost too. Just like you, I hated RC as well, but made sure that I put all the more emphasis on RC due to that, rather than ignoring it. Read the passages and read the full answer explanations. You can just opt for the Verbal portions of the practice exams rather than doing the whole exams. Even the toughest RC questions can be solved given sufficient time, so always time the questions so that you feel adequate time pressure.

I feel that GMAT performance depends on knowing the content up to a certain point (lets say 700). But going beyond this, depends on the person's form and timing - just like in football or tennis - practice, practice and more practice. So to keep the momentum on a steep upward curve, I feel that frequent practice exams are good.

Anyway, these are just my points of view, so please do take my words with a grain of salt.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Since I have 3 weeks left, I will take next 2 days (I work and cannot spend more than effective hours of studying a day during weekdays) to go over my dreadful Kaplan score of 650 (49q, 32v).
After that, I will focus on doing a few RC and CR 700 lvl problems every day.

For SC, I will read the MGMAT SC book over 2-3 times on the commute to/from work. I will probably review SC questions from all previous exams and use some extra questions from magoosh. OG13 are too easy...

Next weekend, I am going to take an official gmat practice exam to get the feel of it. (I took the free gmat practice exams a long time ago). The following week I will take MGMAT exam to toughen me up on IR and quant and give a different take on verbal. I do not have any serious holes in quant but a 51q would be sweet. The tough number properties and 'plug in variables to test answers' problems can be a pain sometimes, but I tend to manage them well for the most part. I try to be very time efficient on easy quant questions so that I have extra time for the tough ones in the end.

By the week of the exam, I am setting a mark to get above a v37. I scored v37 before, so I know I can do it again.

I don't think I have enough time to go over the same tests multiple times (aside from SC), but I will make sure to go over all my right/wrong answers carefully.

Thanks for the insight!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi aanakr

Congratulations on your excellent score. I have my GMAT in 2 weeks and wanted to know a few things from your experience of GMAT. Like you, I have solved a lot of practice tests. I completed my last Kaplan test today. But (un)fortunately I solved the whole GMATPrep question bank available in Gmatclub downloads. I was unaware initially that those questions were from GMATprep question back. Only when I was half way, I came to know what blunder I had done. Now I have already solved every verbal question that will appear on GMATprep test. I even bought the Exam pack 1 hoping that it will have a new question bank but the verbal questions are all the old ones only. The ones I have already solved. So, I have no Official test to judge my progress. If I compare my MGMAT scores with your MGMAT scores, they are similar. I have scored between 710-740 in all of them. I am consistently scoring 51 in quant in both MGAMT and Kaplan tests. But my performance in Kaplan verbal has been poor. I scored 26, 26, 26, 35, 37 in the 5 tests I have given. And the accuracy was extremely poor (Today I scored V37 with 21 correct). Although I know that KAPTESTS are tougher that actual GMAT but I have no official indicator to gauge my performance.

I always feel that the CR and SC questions of both Manhattan and Kaplan tests are too off from the official questions. I have solved around 650 official SC questions twice and while I was solving them for the second time, I was taking less than a minute per question (on average) to solve those questions with 90% accuracy. Similarly with CR questions.

Did you face any such situation during your preparations? And can you please share you individual MGAMT and KAPLAN test scores so that I can get an idea of my verbal performance. It will be extremely helpful. I am thinking of buying Gmatclub tests. How did you feel about their verbal tets...were they any good? I have solved the free verbal test but found it very easy. Solved it in around 60 mins and score 43 (5 incorrect). Are the paid verbal tests better?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aanakr wrote:
Hi Utkmittal1,

The Kaplan and MGMAT SC/CR questions may be a bit off, but I don't think they are too off as you said. It came as a shock on my first take, that most of the actual GMAT questions seemed a lot tougher than the average OG13 questions; I even thought that the Kaplan/MGMAT questions were more in line with my actual GMAT. Anyway, that's just my POV. :-D

The Club Verbal is good, but I wouldn't recommend it as much as I would recommend the Club Quant. Surely, Club Verbal won't do you any harm, so you can try it. Anyway, I would strongly recommend you to do questions you have already done during the last week before the exam. For me, it was more of a summary during the last week - a summary not pouring over error logs, but undergoing the same thinking when you do the questions, and recalling the error I made on my first take, and how I could correct it. Trying out new questions would add little to the pool of questions you've already done, if you've done 650 questions twice, as you said.

Hope some of above helps.

Thanks aanakr for such a detailed reply. Comparing your MGMAT scores with mine gives me a little confidence. Almost similar verbal scores.
I am not trying anything new now. Just solving practice tests and doing few official questions again. I really liked your suggestion to solve the CATs twice. Simply revising the questions that I did wrong the first time itself takes more than 30 minutes. So its better to give a little extra time. I will be doing the verbal on MGMAT CATs again. Thanks again for the advice. Will let you know my score on 15th. Fingers crossed :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
aanakr,

What score were you getting on the GMATClub Quant tests? Were they about the same as your practice and final score?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cubsfan87 wrote:
aanakr,

What score were you getting on the GMATClub Quant tests? Were they about the same as your practice and final score?

Thanks

I scored 43 in verbal test (5 incorrect questions). But I found it extremely easy. Finished it in around 60 minutes. As far as quant is concerned I had to leave the test in the middle. Solved only the first 19 questions and 17 were correct. Unlike most of the people in discussions, I did not find the first it very tough...At least the first 19 questions. Probably difficulty level increases at a later stage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Send PM
You got a decent score! And your advices are very useful too. During my preparation, somehow I feel that keeping an error log does not help much. Besides, since you got a 6 in AWA, can you share a bit about that? Also, may I know where did you pick your timing table and strategy?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@aanakr - After taking the first GMAT test it looked like you focused primarily on practice test. What did you study schedule look like?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts