It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 23:05
shikha.lakhani wrote:
Hey i selected D but the right option seems to be C.

Please help with why the C is right and why each of the others were eliminated

Before reading the answer choices ,lets formulate how the store manager responds to the owner.

He presents new information that is not presented by the owner.
Owner doesn't acknowledge the fact that the teenagers could be bringing more business than the ones who left.

Only C puts this point. Rest all are wrong.
D is wrong because its talks about profits and the argument only about revenue and spending. Moreover its just a restatement of the point made by the manager and doesn't convey the logic behind it.

Hope its clear.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 199

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 04:30
Hi,
I eliminated A,B and D but was confused between C & E. I chose E over C because I gave a thought that the store manager does not imply the status quo should exist, instead it should change and there should be more youngsters coming over to the coffee shop.

Please reply as to why is C correct and E wrong as I am unable to reason it out.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 04:33
Hi,
I eliminated A,B and D but was confused between C & E. I chose E over C because I gave a thought that the store manager does not imply the status quo should exist, instead it should change and there should be more youngsters coming over to the coffee shop.

Please reply as to why is C correct and E wrong as I am unable to reason it out.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3652 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manaliambhageria wrote:
Hi,

Option C:
Status quo means the current condition. The current condition ( i.e. more teenagers coming in, and adults stopping to come ) is not incompatible with the owner’s goal (of making more profit). The new evidence shown is: teenagers spend as much as adults do, and there are more customers. Thus the profit has already increased, and they will continue to be higher than it was before such change, if the current situation prevails. Thus C is correct.
(Note: The term "maximize" may not be ideal.)

Option E: The pronoun "that" refers to evidence. The store manager does not refute the evidence (more teenagers coming in) that is provided by the owner, rather the manager agrees with it - he refutes the conclusion (profits will decrease) of the owner.

Kudos [?]: 3652 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 12:42
C for me . As the ultimate goal of the owner is to maximize revenue and if mgr discourages teenagers their revenue will reduce.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 01:48
bepositive wrote:
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year.

The store manager responds to the owner by _____

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence
(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive
(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal
(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer
(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner

I just did not understand this question at all please explain me this one...thanks!

Confused b/w C & E, finally choose C as E says that the new evidence refutes the owner's evidence (which is not true).
#sniper booyah !!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 04:41
Pick up D for unknown reason :P
Was confused between C and D. There is no demonstration given here.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2017, 04:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 67 posts ] 

Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap