Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2009 applicants [#permalink]
Congrats, Pathfinder! When is your interview date?
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
November 24th or December 1st. I have to decide but it will probably be December 1st. I hope I'll handle the visa application by than :roll:

Originally posted by Pathfinder on 11 Nov 2008, 15:40.
Last edited by Pathfinder on 03 Dec 2008, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Congrats on the interview invite, Pathfinder_77!

It sounds like both Oxbridge schools definitely place importance on visiting the campus. If I manage to get an interview invite from either school, it is going to be interesting to see how I will balance my existing travel for this. I may have to go to the Netherlands or China for the next few weeks, make it back to the United States to get a work visa stamped for Australia, then head out to Oz before mid-December. Then I'm supposed to go back to the United States for Christmas.... :beat
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Ding from Judge.....eh, perhaps I should have spent more than an hour on my essays and maybe have visited while I was in the UK.....not heartbroken it was free :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Sorry to hear about that, Raabenb... But good that it was not from the dream school that could break your heart. So good luck with the others!

Pathfinder_77 wrote:
November 24th or December 1st. I have to decide but it will probablz be December 1st. I hope I'll handle the visa application by than
So it seems that you are in R1-boat after all, Pathfinder :) Now I'm in the same situation as you - hoping to get my visa for Dec 1 interview date. I've PM-ed you some questions.
Current Student
Send PM
One more day for Oxford R1 -- good luck everyone!
Current Student
Send PM
Got my invite just now for Oxford R1! Anyone else?

It looks like there are about 11-12 interview options, with a few by phone available -- does anyone know if the admissions committee still prefers in-person interviews, or are phone interviews treated mostly the same?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Congrats, Teutonic!

Got an invite too! :) It looks like my essays weren't that bad... :roll:

I heard that some people were admitted after the phone interview in the past, but I believe that the Adcom expect you to travel if you are in Europe. However, if you have already visited the school, then, I believe, the phone interview will carry no less weight than the personal one (at least, I remember that I've read about this).

I was going to travel to the Open Day here, and hope that I will be able to be interviewed on that day. Don't know whether they agree...

And you? Are you going to travel?
Current Student
Send PM
Congrats greenoak! Indeed, it sounds my essay number two wasn't as horrible as I imagined, either.... :lol:

I was thinking about the open day as well -- my major dilemma is that I am shuttling between work in the US and Australia for the next several weeks, so I have no idea when I'll be able to travel. The phone interview would definitely be the preferred option, but I still want to assure them that I'm interested in the program if they value a campus visit. I would definitely plan on visiting the campus in December/January if I couldn't make it for the interview.

Basically, I have no idea what country I'll be in each week until a few days in advance. :P What do you think? Should I try to go the phone route, or take my chances with scheduling an on-campus interview?
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
teutonic9 wrote:
Got my invite just now for Oxford R1! Anyone else?

Congrats, Teutonic!
Although Cambridge is the only British university I've applied to, I'm always glad to see that somebody passed through bureaucratic mine-field and get the interview invitation. Good luck!

Originally posted by Pathfinder on 14 Nov 2008, 11:45.
Last edited by Pathfinder on 04 Feb 2009, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Congrats, Devil! :)

As for your question regarding visiting or not, I believe there's no universal advice - I explained my thoughts in one of my previous posts in this thread. I read on another forum that quite a lot of overseas applicants (mainly those from India) asked for phone interviews in previous years, and got admissions later. So if it's really impossible/ highly improbable for you to get your visa in time, I believe the adcom will understand your situation.

After-interview admit ratio is known to be lower for Said than for Judge (because Judge is way more selective with their invites), but I don't know the exact figures. BW site has no such info for Said. The figure of 50% seems to be not far from reality - but who knows?

In any case, good luck to you with your interview!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
thanks buffdaddy and greenoak.
any idea on duration and nature of Oxford interview, esp the telephonic one? i reckon that unlike US schools, the profs take the interview. whatat are the standard questions? the same walk me thru ur resume or anything special focus?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Quote:
any idea on duration and nature of Oxford interview, esp the telephonic one? i reckon that unlike US schools, the profs take the interview. whatat are the standard questions? the same walk me thru ur resume or anything special focus?

Oxford interview is not very long - up to 1 hour or even 30-40 min, but some questions could be rather tricky. Be prepared not only to answer the typical 'why MBA, why now, why here', but also to discuss some issues related to the world economy or your industry specific questions.

Also, you may check this thread from pagalguy, dedicated to the last year admission experience to Oxford:
https://www.pagalguy.com/forum/international-indian-mba-schools-accepting/25826-oxford-2008-application-and-beyond.html
Current Student
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
Good question. I think it depends on how flexible your schedule is and how strong is your desire to get in (and on your profile of course…).

If you never visited the campus, I would advise you to travel there if possible - even if you don’t get an interview on that specific day. In such a way, you will show them a genuine interest in the programme. You could mention your visiting experience during the phone interview later.

I see that it’s hard to plan anything in advance for you, but still, if some of the proposed dates seem doable, you could try scheduling your visit on that date and explain your situation to the adcom (i.e. that you may be required to change your plans because of your work duties). Perhaps some of the earliest dates will be more suitable for you, if you have difficulties with predicting your travels in more distant future.

Kudos greenoak -- that definitely sounds logical. I am going to aim for the sessions early next week or the open day on 10/28. If that doesn't work out, I'll wait until I return to Australia and fly from there. I'll post back if I'm at the Open Day along with you!

Originally posted by prashok on 16 Nov 2008, 23:13.
Last edited by prashok on 16 Nov 2008, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Congrats, Teutonic!
Although Cambridge is the only British university I've applied to, I'm always glad to see that somebody passed through bureaucratic mine-field and get the interview invitation. Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you for JBS as well!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
The deadline for R 1.5 at Judge is tomorrow.

I finished, well almost. Will submit tomorrow morning at work.
Who else is submitting?

Lumone
Current Student
Send PM
I'm in for R1.5 as well! Should have it done later tonight (late morning/early afternoon Cambridge time).

This will complete my first round set of four schools, and it could not be a better time. I'm really starting to get application fatigue... :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30