Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
humblewinner wrote:
pleonasm wrote:
humblewinner wrote:
Hello,

The oxford application has two upload buttons for transcripts for undergraduate degree and one upload button for graduate degree.

I have 8 transcripts for my undergraduate degree (for 8 semesters) and I am not able to upload beyond 2 transcripts. Using the first two buttons after uploading 2 transcripts simply replaces the existing transcript. How can i upload more than two ? Is anyelse facing the same problem ?

Thank you

Scan all your transcripts into one pdf file.

Thank you. I thought of that but they allow only 500 kb !! 8 documents combined into one will be way more than 500 kb even if I choose the lowest resolution.

Darn, ok did you try compressing ? zip or bz2 or something like that ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Regarding the issue of scanning and uploading the transcripts, I also face the same problems.

Even if we choose the lowest resolution for a scanned document, it wud still take up around 150 to 200 kb of space.. But we can reduce it further to around 50kb per scanned copy by 'squeezing' it in Microsoft Paint.

So, I guess we can actually compress everything in then?

Im still working on Essay 1... My mate's comments on it aren't too great :( So wud hav 2 review it..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Greeoak,
How have you arrived at the course fee here - £100K + ?
Taking Oxford as an example the actual fee is £33 + expenses - https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/MBA/Fees.htm/

Cheers,

Aztec
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Aztec wrote:
Greeoak,
How have you arrived at the course fee here - £100K + ?
Taking Oxford as an example the actual fee is £33 + expenses - https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/MBA/Fees.htm/

Hi Aztec,
I never stated that the course fee is 100K GBP - I agree with you that this would be crazy: even LBS is cheaper 8-)
The only time I used '100' (I think) was when mentioning the application fee - it's 100 GBP for Cambridge and 125 GBP for Oxford.

blueyan wrote:
I have really bad undergrad GPA: around 71-72% (B to B-). I know it falls below the minimum, but they said the overall profile will be looked at.

Is it next to impossible to get in with this GPA?

Hi Blueyan - your GPA doesn't seem that low... Anyways, I don't think that those 3.5 and 3.3 that Oxford and Cambridge gave are compulsory; I'd take them as reference. So, if the rest of your profile is strong, the schools will forgive the low GPA. As for GMAT - try to get something in the upper half of the school's 80% range (at least) - I'd say 720-740 will be OK as a compensation for a low GPA.

humblewinner wrote:
greenoak/buffdaddy,

Does the cost of living differ from college to college ?
Which is the nearest to business school.

Hi Humblewinner
Interesting question :) Technically, not all colleges will offer you an accommodation - even in R1 (for example, this year Christ Church didn't). For those colleges that do offer acco, prices could be different, but I can't say how much different.
Regarding the proximity to SBS - Green Templeton is known to offer some nice options... they also usually take a good number of MBAs.
As for the others - colleges usually mention on their sites where their graduate acco is situated. SBS also can provide this info after you get admitted. In fact, you could change your college preference at that stage - quite a lot of people do so. So no need to worry!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Aggh! ;-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Just in case somebody missed it: Cambridge online application is up -

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/how.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
blueyan wrote:
I have really bad undergrad GPA: around 71-72% (B to B-). I know it falls below the minimum, but they said the overall profile will be looked at.

Is it next to impossible to get in with this GPA?

If other factors can compensate for it (ie. professional qualification, work experience, and GMAT score),
1) how high of a GMAT score should I be aiming at?

Are these factors enough to compensate for my low GPA?
a) 5+ years of work experience by sept2010 (I'd say I have good career progression)
had 2 promotions in the past 4 years and currently at managerial level
b) working in a big international firm
c) have a professional designation
d) had some special extracurricular activities / achievements during undergrad

Please advice. Thanks!

I think it is possible to get in with a low GPA, but it would help if you had an extenuating circumstance that explained it. For example, I was admitted and my GPA was around 3.0/4.0, and I talked about my situation in the first essay (I was advised to do this since there was no optional essay in the application).

The GMAT score is one factor that will also help mitigate this -- probably 700+ will be a strong counterweight to the GPA. As you mentioned, I also stressed my work experience and promotions, and showed an alternative transcript from when I took university courses in high school. My extracurriculars were OK in undergrad, and were almost nonexistent post-undergrad, so I wouldn't stress too much about it if you can show academic achievement in other areas and have strong extracurriculars/work experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
I never stated that the course fee is 100K GBP - I agree with you that this would be crazy: even LBS is cheaper 8-)

Add in London living costs for two years, and it's not that far off (I'm still reeling today from paying £720 for an Underground pass). :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC
Send PM
Anyone know how many electives Oxford offers? I know they're offered in the second and third terms, but I can't find mention of how many exactly you can/are required to take. Thanks for any help!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
nyinbxl wrote:
Anyone know how many electives Oxford offers? I know they're offered in the second and third terms, but I can't find mention of how many exactly you can/are required to take. Thanks for any help!

You can find it here:
https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1F ... cation.pdf

You can take 6 + 2optional electives.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q50  V36
Send PM
I will be applying for Judge in R1.
Is there any format for writing the recos for Judge ? Is it some kind of questionnaire or an essay ? How do i know ? Need to ask referees to prepare for it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Hi,

I am reapplying to the Oxford MBA this year. Got interviewed last year but failed to get in. Can any reapplicants help me in identifying the admission process?

Do i submit a whole new application with essays and rec letters?

bye
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
bpr81 wrote:
Hi,

I am reapplying to the Oxford MBA this year. Got interviewed last year but failed to get in. Can any reapplicants help me in identifying the admission process?

Do i submit a whole new application with essays and rec letters?

bye

Hi,

not entirely sure, but I do believe that an entirely new app should be submitted. Best get in touch with the admissions office and they will let you know.

goodluck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
humblewinner wrote:
nyinbxl wrote:

You can find it here:
https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1F ... cation.pdf

You can take 6 + 2optional electives.

the list of electives is very student driven at Oxford. We have been asked recently for that electives we'd like to see in and which ones we are not interested in. Classic supply demand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Oxford, Duke, IESE, ESADE
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I happened to discover it while googling for some perspectives on the second essay question for Said. This thread seems brilliant for Said and Judge applicants. Great job, guys.

As for the second question, would it better to stick to a world event or development or does it make sense to try to link a specific development related to me and how it changed me as a person? The idea i have in my mind relates to meeting a person who is doing immense good to India in the sphere of rural education for girls. It led to me being actively involved in rural education for the less privileged too and changed my perceptions regarding the cause of poverty in my country and the way to eradicate it. It is clearly not a world event nor a development. Meeting someone is a personal event, i presume.

Any idea guys or is this topic even worth considering? I am done with Essay 1 :)
Thanks for your time and advice, this forum is an invaluable aid truly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Oxford, Duke, IESE, ESADE
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Hi arj,

Thank you for your reply. I plan to work in the non-profit sector post-MBA so that should help a bit. Also, my present professional experience involves e-governance projects which dwell on public-private partnerships. Besides, i have interesting community service experiences particularly in the field of rural education for girls in India. As you clearly point out there should be an underlying theme to the whole application, is that a right inference?

As for the SKOLL scholarships, although i have significant experiences in community service i do not have a NGO registered in my name, will that hurt? As i understand Social entrepreneurship is different from working with NGO's as it involves innovation and risk-taking besides passion for social sector.

Originally posted by princeofpentacles on 24 Sep 2009, 22:25.
Last edited by princeofpentacles on 25 Sep 2009, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Mostly in for round 1. If not, round 2. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35