Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Cambridge (rej w/o int) LBS (rej w/o int) Oxford (admit)
 Q50  V31 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
GPA: 6.8 out of 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:HEC Paris,Cambridge (admit), IMD,INSEAD(waiting)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink]
onemore wrote:
Hi Guys!

This is my first post here. I applied to both Cambridge and Oxford. I was denied at Cambridge without interview. About Oxford I applied during this last stage whose deadline is now the 10th of June and I did not receive any answer yet. There is few information about this exceptional deadline so I have some doubts. If we get rejected, do they say something? Is anybody in the same situation?

My profile
6 works experience
660GMAT
Healthcare industry

Thanks in advance.

I submitted my Oxford application before April 1 deadline.. there was a minor delay in my application being considered because one of my recommenders had not submitted her reference document... But anyway, the interview decision deadline was April 29th and I received the invitation on the 28th.. Had a great experience going through the process...

Onemore -
Write to the Oxford adcomm asking for a tentative notification date...They are very prompt and helpful ...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes. Writing to adcom helps. Otherwise also, I am sure they would definitely respond either affirmative or negative. I dont think "no response" is norm.

-- YM
Intern
Intern
Schools:LBS, Stanford GBS, Berkley Haas, Oxford Said
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V39
Send PM
Just got my admission letter from Oxford. Applied in Stage Three, had interview on 20th of May on campus. Interview was 30 mins long with more or less typical questions.

My stats: M32, 730(Q50/V39), Toefl110, MS in Math, 10 years of exp. in Software Development.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
vrepets wrote:
Just got my admission letter from Oxford. Applied in Stage Three, had interview on 20th of May on campus. Interview was 30 mins long with more or less typical questions.

My stats: M32, 730(Q50/V39), Toefl110, MS in Math, 10 years of exp. in Software Development.

Congratulations!!

Still waiting on my own decision here.. good to know that the emails are going out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kylian wrote:
vrepets wrote:

Congratulations!!

Still waiting on my own decision here.. good to know that the emails are going out.

Oops nevermind I just got the email myself. Looks like we'll be classmates next year!!

My stats: Chinese-Canadian M27, 770 (Q49/V47), low GPA (~2.7), B.A. English Literature, 1 yr teaching in Japan, 2 yrs wealth management, level 2 CFA
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Congrats vrepets, Kylian!

I also received the admit email an hour ago and looking forward to it!!!

Profile: Canadian-Middle-Eastern/B Eng (high GPA)/M Eng (high GPA)/720/4years blue-chip tech consulting
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:McCombs Ross Saïd
Send PM
Got The Email a few hours ago.

My stats: Indian working in Texas\ 5 years in the Energy Industry \ GMAT 740

See y'all soon!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Anyone planning to attend the Welcome Day event on June 18?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations to all of you.
I will attend the Welcome Day on June 18. I look forward to meeting my new classmates. See you soon...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone interviewed for JBS with Dr. Yin? My rejection came just days after the interview. Maybe it was just me but he stress tested and challenged me and asked open ended, none standard questions such as why didn't any philosopher before David Hume develop British skepticism and empiricism. I don't believe he read my essays or profile thoroughly and was asking random questions that struck his fancy. He started off with assuming it was my first time in Hong Kong - I flew to Hong Kong just to meet him - and commenting on my 700 plus gmat score in a derisive tone. He then proceeded to ask about my ten year goal. In my career goal essay, I focused mainly on my short and mid-range goals and mentioned my ten year goal more as a "vision" which to my mind is an ideal, a general direction to strive towards and not a concrete clear cut goal. In all honesty, how many people have mapped out their lives for the next decade and can predict the future so that their long term goals would be consistent with the rapidly changing world? However, Dr. Yin was adamant on hearing a detailed 10 year goal right away. He did not give me the chance to talk about my short or mid-range goals which are realistic and achievable given my background and well thought out. When I gave him the 10 year vision, he flat out rejected it, leaned back in his chair with his hands behind his head in a domineering posture and said there is no logic to my idea, that it’s a moving target and that he is a business trainer himself, what makes me think I can compete with him. He then went on asking what I had learned from courses I took a decade ago in an open ended fashion. In the end when I asked Dr. Yin why he felt that there is no logic to my 10 year vision, he said he isn't familiar with my industry and rushed me out of his office as he let the next interviewee in.

Overall, I am very disappointed with the cavalier attitude with which Dr. Yin conducted the interview. Granted, I showed up to the interview haggard and tired because I flew in early and had to climb hills and staircases for 45 minutes to reach the complex for the interview. I didn’t show up with high energy and didn’t sell my ideas with enthusiasm. If I were in Dr. Yin’s shoes, I probably wouldn’t recommend myself on that day either. However, that does not justify the dismissive and arrogant attitude. I purchased plane tickets, missed my work and flew to Hong Kong to meet him and he did not even thank me for coming. I would understand the confrontational and dismissive tone if this were a job interview. However, this was a graduate school interview and I expected some measure of civility and courtesy. Actually, on second thought, even for profit companies have the decency to thank job applicants for applying and coming to interviews not to mention for this interview I had to pay for the plane tickets and travel expenses out of my own pocket.

I am not bitter about not being accepted by JBS. I was accepted by all the other schools I had applied to, which happen to be all higher ranked. I am however disturbed by the interviewer's arrogance. I hope my experience is an outlier and not the norm.
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
NPV

Thanks for sharing your interview experience and I am sorry it did not turn out as well as you had hoped.

All our interviews are conducted by faculty who teach our MBA classes in challenging and thought-provoking ways and that flavour comes through in the interviews. We conduct surveys after most interviews and a significant majority of candidates are very positive about their interview experience.

An admissions interview runs two-ways, and it is as much about you assessing a school, as us assessing you as a candidate. While my team and I try our best to ensure that people we invite for interviews are a good fit for the school and vice-versa, that does not always turn out that way at interviews. In our most recent interview round, we made offers to 75% of interviewed candidates. That was the same percentage for those candidates who were interviewed in Hong Kong.

Reading your post, I get the impression that you too had concluded that you and JBS were not a good fit. Nonetheless, I am glad that you have been accepted in other schools, and in your words, you are "not bitter about not being accepted". I wish you all the best in your MBA.

Conrad Chua
Head, MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NPV wrote:
Anyone interviewed for JBS with Dr. Yin? My rejection came just days after the interview. Maybe it was just me but he stress tested and challenged me and asked open ended, none standard questions such as why didn't any philosopher before David Hume develop British skepticism and empiricism. I don't believe he read my essays or profile thoroughly and was asking random questions that struck his fancy. He started off with assuming it was my first time in Hong Kong - I flew to Hong Kong just to meet him - and commenting on my 700 plus gmat score in a derisive tone. He then proceeded to ask about my ten year goal. In my career goal essay, I focused mainly on my short and mid-range goals and mentioned my ten year goal more as a "vision" which to my mind is an ideal, a general direction to strive towards and not a concrete clear cut goal. In all honesty, how many people have mapped out their lives for the next decade and can predict the future so that their long term goals would be consistent with the rapidly changing world? However, Dr. Yin was adamant on hearing a detailed 10 year goal right away. He did not give me the chance to talk about my short or mid-range goals which are realistic and achievable given my background and well thought out. When I gave him the 10 year vision, he flat out rejected it, leaned back in his chair with his hands behind his head in a domineering posture and said there is no logic to my idea, that it’s a moving target and that he is a business trainer himself, what makes me think I can compete with him. He then went on asking what I had learned from courses I took a decade ago in an open ended fashion. In the end when I asked Dr. Yin why he felt that there is no logic to my 10 year vision, he said he isn't familiar with my industry and rushed me out of his office as he let the next interviewee in.

Overall, I am very disappointed with the cavalier attitude with which Dr. Yin conducted the interview. Granted, I showed up to the interview haggard and tired because I flew in early and had to climb hills and staircases for 45 minutes to reach the complex for the interview. I didn’t show up with high energy and didn’t sell my ideas with enthusiasm. If I were in Dr. Yin’s shoes, I probably wouldn’t recommend myself on that day either. However, that does not justify the dismissive and arrogant attitude. I purchased plane tickets, missed my work and flew to Hong Kong to meet him and he did not even thank me for coming. I would understand the confrontational and dismissive tone if this were a job interview. However, this was a graduate school interview and I expected some measure of civility and courtesy. Actually, on second thought, even for profit companies have the decency to thank job applicants for applying and coming to interviews not to mention for this interview I had to pay for the plane tickets and travel expenses out of my own pocket.

I am not bitter about not being accepted by JBS. I was accepted by all the other schools I had applied to, which happen to be all higher ranked. I am however disturbed by the interviewer's arrogance. I hope my experience is an outlier and not the norm.

I'd chalk it up to a personality clash, or perhaps it was due to something he really didn't like after reading your profile. It may even be as simple as an instance of an educator wanting to find out how well an interviewee handles him/herself under pressure and faced with an unsympathetic adversary; we likely deal with difficult people every day in the realm of business, after all. As always, I'm sure there are two sides to this story.

In any case, if your experience with this particular faculty member was that terrible, I'd count my blessings and be grateful that you found this out before you got in, as opposed to afterwards if you choose to matriculate and end up having him as your professor for an important class. ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
NPV wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I am not sure what Cambridge's policy is on interviews but I know some of the schools do give the applicant a second chance to interview in case they felt the applicant was not given a fair interview. May be you could have sent to your interview coordinator at Cambridge as soon as you left the interview stating your horrid experience.
Intern
Intern
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
NPV wrote:

JBS is definitely having admin problems - I'm still amazed that after strongly insisting that candidates travel to Cambridge for their open interview day (with related visa problems) you will only get a 20min interview. Also that the head of admissions is active on our gossip forum. This is pretty unheard of in graduate admissions (PhD, MBA, MD, etc.) I think assigning megalomaniacal interviewers abroad is the same spirit...

If you want to talk about a legit admissions process, I was really impressed with IESE (admit, not matriculating). Really intense assessment day where we broke into teams and prepped/presented cases. But they are a better (rank, post-grad $$$, food) school ;-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

One quick question. What is the dress code for Oxford Skype video interview? Just neck tie will do or suit with neck tie or business casual?

-- YM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey guys. yeah ive heard some ppl having negative interview experiences at cambridge. Like outstanding candidates but because the interviewer didnt like one answer they were rejected. after flying all the way there. honestly, its cambridge's loss because the people who do well in business are real, normal people who have personality... the robots who answer every question perfectly with their prepared answers might get into cambridge, but those who are successful in the real world are more outspoken in general. The problem with cambridge is many of these "faculty" members who do the interviews have absolutely no idea what it takes to excel in the business world, because they have NEVER been in it. They have been in an academic bubble where they make the rules and study THEORY. i had a great experience at LBS and Oxford. ANd even INSEAD. AT oxford for example i had an interviewer who was an alumn but had also been a banker for several years (like i was)- he knew what to look for.

on another note... are there any american students going to INSEAD or Oxford? if so, do you have any advice on funding and how to go about it... can americans get scholarships at any of these schools, especially this late in the game?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
coucou wrote:
...........If you want to talk about a legit admissions process, I was really impressed with IESE (admit, not matriculating). Really intense assessment day where we broke into teams and prepped/presented cases. But they are a better (rank, post-grad $$$, food) school ;-)

Coucou
I do agree with you that the assessment day is a better idea than just a short interview. I have participated in one for another program and have to say I was impressed.
However, do you mind sharing whether you were admitted to Cambridge Judge in the end?

I don't mean to offend at all, however I just find that candidates (me included) tend to have a negative interview experience whenever they are rejected and positive otherwise.

I also consider the presence of the admission committee here on the forum a rather positive sign. At least people care of the feedback they get. Nowadays every decent business is present at the various social networks and forums to improve its image and collect feedback.

DGreenleaf wrote:
.......They have been in an academic bubble where they make the rules and study THEORY. i had a great experience at LBS and Oxford. ANd even INSEAD. AT oxford for example i had an interviewer who was an alumn but had also been a banker for several years (like i was)- he knew what to look for.

DGreenlead could you share your results please - which ones you were successful at? Oxford, INSEAD and JBS?

CambridgeMBA
it'd be really great if you could comment on the practical experience of the members of faculty.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28