It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:05

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet r

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 0

Schools: Tuck, Duke
Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet r [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2008, 10:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:55) correct 44% (01:28) wrong based on 296 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet rays, reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.

(A) has long appeared that it was immune from
(B) has long appeared to have been immune from
(C) has long appeared as being immune to
(D) had long appeared immune to
(E) had long appeared that it was immune to
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet r [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 00:34
arorag wrote:
Ozone reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.
A) has long appeared that it was immune from
B) has long appeared to have been immune from
C) has long appeared as being immune to
D) had long appeared immune to
E) had long appeared that it was immune to

Not an esay one. First selection is based upon "immune to or from". Immunie TO is right for this case so choices narrowed down to C, D, or E. Out of 3, D is best. Past perfrect tense means any action stopped at past.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Re: Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet r [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 11:05
Immune to is the correct idiom.

Immunity to a disease/virus/bacteria. Immunity from is wrong.

A & B out.

Eliminate C for the evil being.

The non underlined part "we have now realized" is in past tense. So the event that occurs before it needs to be in past perfect.

D & E does that.

E is lengthy, awkward and uses it twice (IMO not needed twice)

D remains.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1005 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 15:12
OA is D.

I chose B for this problem because even though I agree that "immune from" is wrong, I had a bigger problem with "had appeared." We don't have 2 verbs that occurred in the past. We only have 1 verb, so I felt that there was no reason to have a past perfect. Would anyone comment on that point?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 1005 [0], given: 1

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1005 [3], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2008, 04:10
This post received
KUDOS
snaps wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
OA is D.

I chose B for this problem because even though I agree that "immune from" is wrong, I had a bigger problem with "had appeared." We don't have 2 verbs that occurred in the past. We only have 1 verb, so I felt that there was no reason to have a past perfect. Would anyone comment on that point?

Thanks

Went with B for exactly the same reason. Would appreciate any input on the subject.

I think I have figured it out. First of all, the second independent clause after the semicolon starts with "we have now realized." We have to realize that "have realized" is a present perfect, meaning that an action started in the past and that this action is still occurring today. So this action started in the past, and the clause before it refers to an event that occured before the last independent clause. I think this should make sense. What do you think?

Kudos [?]: 1005 [3], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2008, 16:12
tarek99 wrote:
Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet rays, reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.

a) has long appeared that it was immune from

b) has long appeared to have been immune from

c) has long appeared as being immune to

d) had long appeared immune to

e) had long appeared that it was immune to

Please explain your answer.

First of all, do "immune from" and immune to" exist in English or is it just one of them?

Thanks!

Okie thats lot of crap in the sentence

Ozone.... human influence

Immune to....is correct usage and hence A, B is kicked offf

Being is wordy in GMAT ( however, when you feel answer that you have obtained is not the best, go and recheck ones eliminated on the basis of being) Kick off C

E has wordy too. That doesnt have anything to modify nor demonstrate ( That is a relative pronoun used a restrictive/essential modifer and a demonstrative pronoun -often seen in comparison statement ...to that of...)

Mark D

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [3], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
And what I say is -- Snaps and Tarek, you are both correct.

Whenever I and others say that the perfect tense describes an action that happened in the past and "continues up to the present", we are actually oversimplifying somewhat. The perfect tense usually means this, but it can also mean that the action occurred in the past and CREATED A CONDITION which continues to the present AND is relevant. That is what the perfect means in this case: We realized in the past that emissions deplete the ozone layer -- we are NOT still in the process of realizing -- but now we are in a state of KNOWING this, and it matters.

So the event of realizing is a past event. The appearance that the ozone layer was immune to human interference existed BEFORE that past event. For events or conditions that happened before another past event, we use the pluperfect, "had appeared". This reduces the choice to D and E, and E is unnecessarily wordy.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Kudos [?]: 113 [3], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
study wrote:
Ozone reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.

can someone explain the verb tense mood in the sentence - "had vs. has"

I'll go with D

To answer your question at the last - 'had' is to be used when there are 2 past actions in a sentence. 'Had' is to be placed before the action that is performed earlier than the other one. For ex:- The show "had" started by the time we "arrived".

"HAS" is the present perfect form, which means that the action is still going on...

Coming back to the question : The realization( we realized) says that it is the later action hence the earlier action(" appeared") takes "had". Also, I think, immune to is better than immune from.

So we are left with D & E. D is better than E because it is concise and deletion of "that it was" is not causing any loss in clarity

Correct me if I'm wrong....What is OA?

Cheers
Unplugged

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1058 [2], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
study wrote:

can someone explain the verb tense mood in the sentence - "had vs. has"

immune from --> free, exempt (immune from arrest, immune from further taxation)
Immune to --> not susceptible or not responsive ( immune to cancer, immune to all pleas)

here "immune to" correct idiom
A, B are out.

we have now realized --> means they just realized .. this is past tense.
so first setence must be in the past tense. --> "had long appeared" makes sense.

C - out

between D and E

E -- "that it was" --> wordy/redundant.

D is the best.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1058 [2], given: 5

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 11:45
I was not aware of "immune from" as the correct idiom. Thanks x2suresh for the info. I selected D for the following reasons.

Since "immune to" is the correct idiom, only C, D and E are remaining options. Among these, D is the most concise.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 20:01
study wrote:
Thanks, unplugged.

Can you explain which is the first action and which is 2nd in the ozone sentence, for 'had' to be used.

The first action : The ozone had long appeared
The second action: We realized........It is only after "the appearance" that we "realized"

I hope it's clear

BTW What is the OA?

Cheers
Unplugged

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 04:34
I chose D, also. You can eliminate A-C because of the use of the present perfect "has". You want past perfect because the ozone has stopped appearing immune to human influence.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 843 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2010, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
A quick note on the idiom:

"Appear to" is an important idiom here!

Ex. He appears to be a good student.

(There is no structure, "appears as".)

"AS BEING" IS ALWAYS INCORRECT!

Now, if the past is involved in the sentence, then use the perfect infinitive: to + have + V3

Ex. Einstein appears to have been a bad student. (Einstein, now dead, is no longer a student.)

Other idioms like "appear to":
seem to, believed to, estimated to, thought to...

(Idioms are taught in the Small Details lesson at gmaxonline!)

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Kudos [?]: 843 [2], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 949 [2], given: 621

GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2010, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
Come on guys :) check the Oxford Dictionary for idiom usage:

immune /{speaker}Imju:n/ adjective [notusuallybeforenoun]
1 ~ (to sth) that cannot catch or be affected by a particular disease or illness:
Adults are often immune to German measles.
2 ~ (to sth) not affected by sth:
You'll eventually become immune to criticism. * Few men are immune to her charms. * Our business is far from immune to economic conditions.
3 ~ (from sth) protected from sth and therefore able to avoid it
SYNEXEMPT: No one should be immune from prosecution.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 949 [2], given: 621

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2010, 13:14
iamcste wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

a) has long appeared that it was immune from

b) has long appeared to have been immune from

c) has long appeared as being immune to

d) had long appeared immune to

e) had long appeared that it was immune to

Please explain your answer.

First of all, do "immune from" and immune to" exist in English or is it just one of them?

Thanks!

Okie thats lot of crap in the sentence

Ozone.... human influence

Immune to....is correct usage and hence A, B is kicked offf

Being is wordy in GMAT ( however, when you feel answer that you have obtained is not the best, go and recheck ones eliminated on the basis of being) Kick off C

E has wordy too. That doesnt have anything to modify nor demonstrate ( That is a relative pronoun used a restrictive/essential modifer and a demonstrative pronoun -often seen in comparison statement ...to that of...)

Mark D

as a previous post indicates, immune to and immune from are both widely used in english and is accepted by the oxford dictionary. . hence a and B not kicked out.

i would go with B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7884 [1], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO, - immune from - is as acceptable as - immune to.-

E. g: Having suffered typhoid a couple of times, Tom is now immune to that disease.

You are immune from contracting sexually transmitted diseases, when you employ safe sex practices (meaning that you are protected from the ill effects of something, when you are immune from them.)

So what decides the use of - to or from - is the context. I would in the given context choose -immune from - rather than - immune to -because the meaning implies that ozone is far placed and hence protected from human influence.

What however baffles me is how we can afford a past perfect here, when the thumb rules state that

1. A past perfect can not remain alone without a simple past.

2. By custom, a past perfect can not be joined with a present tense or a present perfect, without a past tense intervening.

I can not digest choice D and E, unless somebody makes bold to say that the use of past perfect here is an exception under some blah, blah rule.

B on the other hand uses the present perfect tenses for all descriptions - has long appeared to - and -have been immune from - and it goes parallel with the present perfect in non-underlined part - we have now realized -

B for me therefore on my own reckoning.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7884 [1], given: 363

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 07:35
go on this link you will get all the answers
sc-idiom-72113.html

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2013, 05:21
daagh wrote:
IMO, - immune from - is as acceptable as - immune to.-

E. g: Having suffered typhoid a couple of times, Tom is now immune to that disease.

You are immune from contracting sexually transmitted diseases, when you employ safe sex practices (meaning that you are protected from the ill effects of something, when you are immune from them.)

So what decides the use of - to or from - is the context. I would in the given context choose -immune from - rather than - immune to -because the meaning implies that ozone is far placed and hence protected from human influence.

What however baffles me is how we can afford a past perfect here, when the thumb rules state that

1. A past perfect can not remain alone without a simple past.

2. By custom, a past perfect can not be joined with a present tense or a present perfect, without a past tense intervening.

I can not digest choice D and E, unless somebody makes bold to say that the use of past perfect here is an exception under some blah, blah rule.

B on the other hand uses the present perfect tenses for all descriptions - has long appeared to - and -have been immune from - and it goes parallel with the present perfect in non-underlined part - we have now realized -

B for me therefore on my own reckoning.

you are right daagh. the issue stands unresolved. Even people at Manhattan haven't been able to clarify it. http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ozo ... -t638.html

Its sad to see a GMAT prep question with such ambiguities. Idiom or not D doesn't make sense at all. Use of past perfect cant be justified.

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 291

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 413 [1], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2014, 23:28
This post received
KUDOS
TooLong150 wrote:
Very good question. ACE were awkward. I then had to use the "immune to" idiom to pick D over B. I did not understand how to split the answers using the tenses. Can someone explain how the past perfect is used correctly here?

Striking out prep. phrases and modifiers, we have..
Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet rays, reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it had long appeared immune to human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.

Sequencing of the events is as follows.
Ozone appeared immune (1980s)---> scientists conducted some experiments (1990s) (say event X) ---> (1991) as a result of which we realize that cfcs deplete ozone layer.

'had (long) appeared' denotes that the action had happened in the past before an event X (imaginary event that also happened in the past)
'have (now) realized' denotes that the action is the result of event X (hence present perfect)

It is perfectly right to have a past perfect followed by a present prefect in a scenario such as..

Past perfect --> past action --> present perfect denoting the result of the past action)
Here past action is not necessary, because, present perfect is already denoting the result of the past action (implying that a past action had happened)

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Kudos [?]: 413 [1], given: 56

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 01:23
TooLong150 wrote:
Very good question. ACE were awkward. I then had to use the "immune to" idiom to pick D over B. I did not understand how to split the answers using the tenses. Can someone explain how the past perfect is used correctly here?

As a semicolon is here, we could see this whole sort of thing as TWO part. The second part(after the semicolon) told you that this is the situation NOW, "HAVE NOW REALIZED". Also, the context implied that the first part is the old view, and the second is a recent view. So it will be more reasonable to use a past perfect tense to make a comparison or just make it logically clear.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Re: Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet r   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2014, 01:23

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet r

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap