Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Analysis of an Issue. [#permalink]
yeah it's really hit or miss on this forum. Most people reside in the Quant, Verbal, and B-school app sections of this forum

You'll also see help come in waves...right now I think round 1 just ended, so most people were in the b-school app section rather than here. In addition, the AWA section doesn't hold a lot of weight so most people don't come in here.

I just want to add that when I got that score, it was the first time I had written an essay for the GMAT. I didn't write essays for any of my practice exams. I read that guide 2 days before and just memorized the flow of it.

Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
2 paragraphs won’t do you any good. Write between 4 – 6 paragraphs depending on your typing speed and how you intend to present ideas developed.

Below is my own idea:

INTRODUCTION: State central theme and take position. Summarize any 3 points and go further to develop them a point per paragrph: para1, para2, para3.

PARA1

PARA2

PARA3

CONCLUSION: restate your position with the 3 points in summarized form. XYZ is better than ABC for reasons as evidenced ...stating 1,2, and 3 reasons as discussed above.
Reserve say, 3 – 5 mins for proof reading.
Good examples should be contextual in nature....not just unknown example or one that doesn’t make meaning.

Combine SHORT and LONG sentences in a paragraph.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Stoneface wrote:
Took my first practice test today and got a 3.5 on what I wrote. I would appreciate anything anyone could suggest to bring that score up.

How did you know the rating of your practice essay? Did someone rate it, or was it given by a test prep that scores essays on free gmat online tests?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Basically, what I'm understanding from this is that I need to write this like a very short research paper: Tell them what I'm going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what I told them. So, I could have done something like this:

I. Restate the topic on hand and mention and mention Carnegie and his business, Walton and his business and Gates and his business.

II. Speak about Carnegie and how he strenghtnes my argument and weakens the given argument. Give examples.

III. Speak about Walton and how he strenghtnes my argument and weakens the given argument. Give examples.

IIV. Speak about Gates and how he strenghtnes my argument and weakens the given argument. Give examples.

IV. Conclusion. Look back over the points and recap.

I think I've got it. I'll also be sure to include lots of "therfores," "furthermores" and "the above argument is weakened by the facts," etc. Let me ask, though, about the portion of the instruction that says to support my argument with experience, reading, etc. How significant is that and how much do I need to focus on each one of the three ways to support my argument?

Thanks again, guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@Stoneface
How did you get the 3.5 score in your first practice?

Yes, on the issue essay, you are expected to:

I. State the theme; Take position(either support/oppose); you could also state 3 points and discuss them later in the paragraphs.

II. What is your first (and probably the strongest) reason for opposing the topic?
Give a contextual example to buttress your point.

III. Same as in II

IV. Same as in II

V. Conclusion: look back and recap

You need to practice to master the pattern and to minimize errors. Under stress, you are bound to make some mistakes: typos, grammar, punctuations, etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatbull wrote:
@Stoneface... How did you get the 3.5 score in your first practice?
What do you mean?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
considering the fact that it was a practice essay, I was curious since grades are not awarded
during practice sessions.
Was it graded by a forum member, a gmat prep company, or how was
the 3.5 score allocated?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It was a Veritas practice test. They grade both essays via software. I got a 3.5 on one and 5 on the other with 620 overall (ugh!).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi All,

I am writing only GMAT Prep Test and Manhattan GMAT Test.

But i am not aware of any practise test which gives score for AWA.

Please let me know which tests give scores.

I am giving my GMAT test on Dec 19th , next Monday.

I request for some quick response, so that i can try with one of them and see where i stand .
Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
ckarimanoor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ckarimanoor wrote:
Hi All,

I am writing only GMAT Prep Test and Manhattan GMAT Test.

But i am not aware of any practise test which gives score for AWA.

you already have the answer in the last post before yours: it says, "Veritaprep"

Good luck in your exam...and please do not hesitate to keep us informed of how
you faired on the test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Please rate my essay and provide your comments

Essay Title:

“In any enterprise, the process of making or doing something is ultimately more important than the final product.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed above. Support your point of view with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Essay:

Process is a set of steps describing how to manufacture a product. Manufacturing a product is not possible without knowing how to manufacture a product. Even if we end up with a product without following a process, the possibility of failure is higher. Enterprise’s reputation, standard, quality would then be questioned. Customers will be dissatisfied with an erroneous product. We daily hear in news, lot of accidents like Toxic gas leakage from chemical industry due to malfunction of gas chamber, flight crashes due to engine failure etc are all because of lack of significance given to process.

Process enables to produce products of same quality and standard. It helps to forecast and avoid potential failure/risk achieving high quality product. Process increases productivity by identifying and eliminating wastes involved in making the product. Example: Cost involved in fixing a defected product is costlier than fixing a process.

Process gives manufacture fair amount of knowledge about the product helping to deliver a high quality product. Process helps the enterprise to learn from their mistakes. It becomes a history data for manufacturing a similar kind of product in future.

There is a myth that process increases the product cost. It may be true, but what we need to see is the quality and sustainability of the product. It yields brand name and overall customer satisfaction for the enterprise. It is the process which helps the enterprise to sustain in the market.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts