Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [95]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [30]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [10]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings account with a z percent interest rate, compounded annually. On the same day, Georgia makes an initial deposit of y dollars into a savings account with a z percent annual interest rate, compounded quarterly. Assuming that neither Grace nor Georgia makes any other deposits or withdrawals and that x, y, and z are positive numbers no greater than 50, whose savings account will contain more money at the end of exactly one year?
(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx

Your help is desperately needed folks please.

Responding to a pm:

Actually, u0422811's solution is perfect. That is exactly what went through my mind when I read this question.
Quarterly compounding yields more than annual compounding but the difference is minuscule in % terms.
e.g. if you invest $10 at 10% annual compounding, you get $11 at the end of the year.
but if you invest $10 at 10% quarterly compounding, you get $11.038 at the end of the year.
You get a small fraction of interest extra.

So x is invested at annual compounding and y at quarterly compounding. If x=y, the amount received from y will be a little more.

Statement 1 tells us z = 4. We need to compare x with y so this is not sufficient.

Statement 2 tells us 100y = zx
x/y = 100/z
Since maximum value of z is 50, x is at least twice of y.
If z% = 50%, amount obtained from x is 1.5x (= 3y) and that obtained from y is a little more than 1.5y.
Definitely an investment of $x results in a higher amount at the end of the year.

Answer (B)

Hi Karishma,

taking B into consideration, we can have x=2, y=1, z=50.

so X after one year will be 3.

Y after one year and 4 interest bumps will be over 3....

Can you explain this?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Send PM
Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ronr34 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

taking B into consideration, we can have x=2, y=1, z=50.

so X after one year will be 3.

Y after one year and 4 interest bumps will be over 3....

Can you explain this?

How did you get that "Y after one year and 4 interest bumps will be over 3"?

If initial investment is $1 with an annual rate of 50% compounded quarterly, at the end of the year, the amount is 1(1 + 50/400)^4 = 1.608 i.e. somewhat above 1.5. How is it 3? Note that 50% is annual rate. If it is compounded quarterly, the quarterly rate becomes 50/4%
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [3]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
enigma123 wrote:
Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings account with a z percent interest rate, compounded annually. On the same day, Georgia makes an initial deposit of y dollars into a savings account with a z percent annual interest rate, compounded quarterly. Assuming that neither Grace nor Georgia makes any other deposits or withdrawals and that x, y, and z are positive numbers no greater than 50, whose savings account will contain more money at the end of exactly one year?

(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx

look at choice 2
grace=x(1+Z/10)
Georga= y( 1+z/100*4)^4

from 2 we have, y=zx/100, plug this into condition 2.

Geogra= zx/100(1+z/100*4)^4
it is clear that this expression is smaller than x(1+z/100) even if z=50
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
One doubt : If we are assuming that z=50, for Statement 2, why can't we assume the same for Statement 1 :

I mean, at the final stage we need to compare "x" with "y", since given that "x", "y" and "z" are positive numbers no greater than 50, why can't "x" = "y" = 50?

(Even though Statement 1 doesn't tell us about "x" or "y", we can assume right? Just as we assume for "z" in Statement 2)

If we substitute as above, we find "y" > "x".

So either Statement "1" or Statement "2" is sufficient right?

Kindly enlighten me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
What I did was:
A) clearly not sufficient because we don't know X and Y, what if X is 49 and Y is 1 or vice versa? Interest rates won't make a difference;

B) 100y=zx, y=zx/100, which means y principal amount equals to the interests of z;
and since z<50, then the interest of y, which is <y*50%, is definitely less than y,
therefore the interest of y is definitely is less than the interest of z
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings a [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx

Responding to a pm:

Actually, u0422811's solution is perfect. That is exactly what went through my mind when I read this question.
Quarterly compounding yields more than annual compounding but the difference is minuscule in % terms.
e.g. if you invest $10 at 10% annual compounding, you get $11 at the end of the year.
but if you invest $10 at 10% quarterly compounding, you get $11.038 at the end of the year.

So x is invested at annual compounding and y at quarterly compounding. If x=y, the amount received from y will be a little more.

Statement 1 tells us z = 4. We need to compare x with y so this is not sufficient.

x/y = 100/z
If z% = 50%, amount obtained from x is 1.5x (= 3y) and that obtained from y is a little more than 1.5y.
Definitely an investment of $x results in a higher amount at the end of the year.

Answer (B)

hello KarishmaB
Ma'am could you please explain how to decide after coming to this point
eq 1 : x(3/2)
eq 2 : x/2(9/8)^4
Going by the equation, using st-2, taking z = 50
I came up with this:

Grace's amount at the end of a year = x(1+ 50/100) ----- 1

and Georgia's amount at the end of a year = zx/100(1 + 50/400 )^4 ---- 2 "taking y=zx/100 from the st-2"

I could not just conclude equation is 1 > equation 2.... it took a lot of calculations like doing 9/8 and figuring out (9/8)^4

please help ESPECIALLY with how to come up with a conclusion in a situation such as this
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
deep1624 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx

Responding to a pm:

x/y = 100/z

Answer (B)

hello KarishmaB
Ma'am could you please explain how to decide after coming to this point
Going by the equation, using st-2, taking z = 50
I came up with this:

Grace's amount at the end of a year = x(1+ 50/100) ----- 1

and Georgia's amount at the end of a year = zx/100(1 + 50/400 )^4 ---- 2 "taking y=zx/100 from the st-2"

I could not just conclude equation is 1 > equation 2.... it took a lot of calculations like doing 9/8 and figuring out (9/8)^4

please help ESPECIALLY with how to come up with a conclusion in a situation such as this

Once you do some problems on compound interest, you realise that in the initial years, interest on interest is a small amount.

Also, half yearly compounding or quarterly compounding do give extra interest but slightly. The rate of interest is getting halved or quartered as the case may be in every half year or every quarter. After all, we are not using the rate of interest as 50% in each quarter. It becomes 50/4 = 12.5% in each quarter.
The power of compounding is seen over long term.

Try to keep a more big picture approach in mind instead of getting lost in algebra and equations. Once I realised that x will be at least twice of y from statement 2, and that the rate of interest will be maximum 50%, I know that 50% of x itself will give me the entire y amount. So 50% of y even if compounded quarterly cannot give me double of y. The quarterly compounding will make the interest on y more than y/2 but not by a whole lot.

Check out this video for compound interest in consecutive years: https://youtu.be/pfjZE2xcf04
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts