Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Invited to interview today

Submitted :: 10/11
Under Review :: 10/24
Interview Invite :: 11/18
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
visu83 wrote:
Invited to interview today

Submitted :: 10/11
Under Review :: 10/24
Interview Invite :: 11/18

Congrats, visu83! Hope you ace your interview!

To all those who have been invited to interview or have interviewed, kindly update your profiles to make the stats more accurate. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
I am an international applicant, and I want to know whether opting for off-campus interview would affect my application decision significantly?

The invite clearly mentions we strongly suggest you come on-campus and experience the school

However, I am not so enthusiastic on spending frivolously on air fare just to visit campus, and it takes almost a full day to journey in the plane. I have high regards for the school, but I would be spending and travelling just to go to Ithaca and back.

Does Johnson offer off-campus interview with any Alum?

Can peers and members chime in their opinions?

Thank you.

Originally posted by BlueRobin on 19 Nov 2011, 05:33.
Last edited by BlueRobin on 19 Nov 2011, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
As you saw in their email, it is strongly recommended that you visit the campus and have your interview there. One reason behind that is the fact that if you get admitted there, you would be spending 2 years of your life over there. I think it is important to observe the dynamics of a school with your own eyes rather than depend solely on what you hear from your various sources.
Another reason why you might want to visit the campus: if you want to be interviewed by a current student or adcom. My personal experience has been that 2nd year students are easier to have a conversation with than alumni. But this is just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
srinathreddy wrote:
As you saw in their email, it is strongly recommended that you visit the campus and have your interview there. One reason behind that is the fact that if you get admitted there, you would be spending 2 years of your life over there. I think it is important to observe the dynamics of a school with your own eyes rather than depend solely on what you hear from your various sources.
Another reason why you might want to visit the campus: if you want to be interviewed by a current student or adcom. My personal experience has been that 2nd year students are easier to have a conversation with than alumni. But this is just my opinion.

Obviously nothing can give you the experience of a school than really visiting the campus and interacting with its community members. Having said that business schools understand that sometime it is not possible for the students, especially internationals, to get the visa in such a short time and plan a visit. It is for these reasons alum interviews are norm everywhere. These interviews are not counted any more or less than that conducted in the campus. Johnson too offers alum interviews in India and other international locations. if you have an interview invite you will probably find the instructions to schedule an interview with the alum otherwise reach out to the adcom and they will help you schedule one.

Good luck!

Originally posted by bizschoolprep on 19 Nov 2011, 09:21.
Last edited by bizschoolprep on 19 Nov 2011, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin wrote:
I am an international applicant, and I want to know whether opting for off-campus interview would affect my application decision significantly?

The invite clearly mentions we strongly suggest you come on-campus and experience the school

However, I am not so enthusiastic on spending frivolously on air fare just to visit campus, and it takes almost a full day to journey in the plane. I have high regards for the school, but I would be spending and travelling just to go to Ithaca and back.

Does Johnson offer off-campus interview with any Alum?

Can peers and members chime in their opinions?

Thank you.

I am a domestic applicant, but I live in the Northwest so I could very well be an international applicant at least as far as distance is concerned. Due to work obligations (recently promoted and relocated), it was impossible for me to have my interview on campus. And so, I asked if I could schedule an off-campus interview with an alum. Unfortunately, they currently do not have any alums in my area, so I had to settle for a Skype interview with an AdCom member.

The first thing I did during my interview was emphasize how much I wanted to visit the campus, and that it was unfortunate that my current situation did not allow that. And then I made sure to discuss in detail how at least nine alums/current students, with whom I have spoken, have shared with me how amazing the Ithaca/Collegetown area is. I even mentioned the names of different places that they frequent(ed) during their stay there and why these are places that I would most likely love too. And of course, I spoke about how I really want to go to a school in a small town because it will enable me and my classmates to build long-lasting relationships, vs. a commuter school.

I think I did a pretty decent job of letting my interviewer know that I have done my research and that I would certainly enjoy my two years in Ithaca. Obviously, visiting campus is ideal, but I think there are ways to compensate for not flying to Ithaca for the interview. In any case, good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
For what its worth, I'm a current student and didn't visit the campus for my interview (mine would have been a 15hr flight and a ton of money). As many others have already mentioned, its great to fly out if you have the time and money to do so but by no means is it an absolute necessity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi, I have a question about submission of GMAT scores.

Per the application instructions, we can scan our GMAT score report and submit it ourselves (official scores from MBA.com being required later if we're granted admission). However, there doesn't appear to be a place on the application to upload our "Official - Test Taker Score Report." How should we address this? Should we just upload our scores and email them to the appropriate account manager?

I'm curious how others handled this. Would it be best to just call Admissions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Thank you Threestripes, Redjam, Bizschoolprep, and Srinath Reddy for your helpful suggestions.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
Thank you Threestripes, Redjam, Bizschoolprep, and Srinath Reddy for your helpful suggestions.

No worries. Don't forget to post about your experience after your interview. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
I am planning to apply in R2 (Nov. 30). I have mailed at least 6-7 current students from respective clubs that interest me on Wednesday and Thursday. But I got no reply.
I am going to Cornell tomorrow (Monday) for class visit and information session but I don't have any meeting fixed with current students as no one replied. I found this method ---- mailing and fixing meeting-- before my visit very useful during my other schools’ visit-Tuck and Duke.
Is there any function or competition going on at Cornell ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
app2012 wrote:
I am planning to apply in R2 (Nov. 30). I have mailed at least 6-7 current students from respective clubs that interest me on Wednesday and Thursday. But I got no reply.
I am going to Cornell tomorrow (Monday) for class visit and information session but I don't have any meeting fixed with current students as no one replied. I found this method ---- mailing and fixing meeting-- before my visit very useful during my other schools’ visit-Tuck and Duke.

Have you tried using the Connect With Johnson portal to get contact information for students? I was 0-2 contacting students whose information I gleaned from the student club websites but I heard back from everyone whose information I got from the portal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1291 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Could anyone help me with the Table of Contents essay? Mine has around 250 words, and I was wondering whether it is too short. I have used the chapters name approach, so I did not include any additional comment on the chapter names. I can do that, but the structure worries me a little. All the rest of my app is ready, so if any help here is highly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I interviewed on campus with a second year student. It went exactly as described by other gmatclub members.

One difference is that they did NOT ask about other schools where I applied.

I did answer this question on the app, but the interviewer said it was blind.

Anyone have an idea why they would ask some, but not all students that question?

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
LionsSBC12 wrote:
app2012 wrote:

Have you tried using the Connect With Johnson portal to get contact information for students? I was 0-2 contacting students whose information I gleaned from the student club websites but I heard back from everyone whose information I got from the portal.

I had the same experience. I reached out to students through the student club websites, but I never heard back from them. When I emailed nine student ambassadors through the Connect with Johnson portal, all nine of them responded, some of whom doing so within a couple of hours.

One ambassador was late to the game, replying a day after my interview. When I informed him that I had already completed my interview, he offered to chat with me anyway so that he could give me some tips as to what to expect if I end up getting accepted and matriculating.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
unit157 wrote:
I interviewed on campus with a second year student. It went exactly as described by other gmatclub members.

Anyone have an idea why they would ask some, but not all students that question?

Well, as far as I know, only LionsSBC12 and I have been asked this question. I think maybe it is because we are both from non-traditional industries (LSBC12 is in automotive if I'm not mistaken, and I'm in sports). It could be that they want to understand our rationale as far as choosing the schools to which we are applying, and see what other schools appeal to applicants like us.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
unit157 wrote:

Well, as far as I know, only LionsSBC12 and I have been asked this question. I think maybe it is because we are both from non-traditional industries (LSBC12 is in automotive if I'm not mistaken, and I'm in sports). It could be that they want to understand our rationale as far as choosing the schools to which we are applying, and see what other schools appeal to applicants like us.

I suppose it's also possible that you were just having a nice conversion with the student and they didn't want to abruptly change topics to ask you that question. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be worried about it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts