Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Haas School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink]
ksk80 wrote:
Hi... I'm looking for some advice on the topic: "Please describe a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed." What kind of situations are a fair game here? Any advice or feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

I think you can write about any decision in which there were lot of known unknowns and unknown unknow. I wrote about something which is partially professional and partially personal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
MALD2011 wrote:
ksk80 wrote:
Hi... I'm looking for some advice on the topic: "Please describe a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed." What kind of situations are a fair game here? Any advice or feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

I am toying with couple of ideas

1. The Obvious one. Describing a work place situation. As an engineer many times I had to finalize designs without finishing all the testing because of the approaching deadlines. That would work but I think that one will be a cliche'. If you had a plan B if something failed then you can mention that and whether you had to use it or not.

2. In my second year college some friends a I took a spontaneous hiking trip without thinking too much about weather. When we were at the base camp we were not sure about weather on the mountains be I convinced everyone to march forward and in a day we were trapped in to really bad rains and winds.

For the second idea you can also turn it in to a lesson. I should not have endangered other peoples' lives with that rash decision. Also if you helped your friends to keep their calm, that will show your team building ability or leadership ability.

Just my thoughts. I hope that helps.

OMG I wrote the same story as your idea 2. Now I really hope there has not been a third person with same essay 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the advice.. very helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Anxious to know when the first batch of interview invites will come out for R1 applicants...
Haas School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
speedkk wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
ksk80 wrote:

1. The Obvious one. Describing a work place situation. As an engineer many times I had to finalize designs without finishing all the testing because of the approaching deadlines. That would work but I think that one will be a cliche'. If you had a plan B if something failed then you can mention that and whether you had to use it or not.

2. In my second year college some friends a I took a spontaneous hiking trip without thinking too much about weather. When we were at the base camp we were not sure about weather on the mountains be I convinced everyone to march forward and in a day we were trapped in to really bad rains and winds.

For the second idea you can also turn it in to a lesson. I should not have endangered other peoples' lives with that rash decision. Also if you helped your friends to keep their calm, that will show your team building ability or leadership ability.

OMG I wrote the same story as your idea 2. Now I really hope there has not been a third person with same essay 3.

Haha True that. I am just starting the application .. after my GMAT on 28th Nov. So I know my story will evolve over the time. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
R2 isn't considered death round, it's considered similar to R1 with ~50% of the class coming from both rounds. At least that's what I remember from an info session...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
johnnymac wrote:
R2 isn't considered death round, it's considered similar to R1 with ~50% of the class coming from both rounds. At least that's what I remember from an info session...

Am I reading it wrong?
If "~50% of the class coming from both rounds", does it mean the rest of 50% is coming from R3?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
sleepy1660 wrote:
Am I reading it wrong?
If "~50% of the class coming from both rounds", does it mean the rest of 50% is coming from R3?

Sloan has only 2 rounds, no R3 for Sloan. 50% admits from R1, 50% from R2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Happy Monday everyone. Hopefully the interview invites will start rolling out later this week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
cdr980 wrote:
Happy Monday everyone. Hopefully the interview invites will start rolling out later this week.

Yes, waiting for the Sloan results. Did anyone got any mails from Sloan so far ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: HEC Paris - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hey guys this is my first post for Sloan. I am from Europe and I was not considering a US MBA due to length and cost, but I have MIT in my heart and the more I researched Sloan the more I started liking the idea and now I think it is my #1 choice as there is good financial aid as well. So, I want to do whatever I can to get in. To this end, I am seriously considering retaking the GMAT before the R2 deadline to raise my 700 GMAT to around 730-750 which I am confident I can do. I think it can make a difference, what do you think?

Regarding interviews, when do these take place? Is it like around 5 weeks from the application deadline? Do you have the interviews with alumni like most MBAs or from staff and faculty only?

Good luck to everyone waiting for the R1 interview results!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
gr8tWo wrote:
Regarding interviews, when do these take place? Is it like around 5 weeks from the application deadline? Do you have the interviews with alumni like most MBAs or from staff and faculty only?

Good luck to everyone waiting for the R1 interview results!

Hey, gr8tWo, regarding Sloan as dream school here as well.

As far as I know, all the interviews are conducted by staff from admission office only. They say it will ensure the interviewers are really familiar with your material.

It's five weeks from R1 now, but not hearing any interviews yet...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
MALD2011 wrote:
ksk80 wrote:

You are thinking in the right direction but I believe it has to be more carefully thought.

For example->>I should not have endangered other peoples' lives with that rash decision
The "rash decision" might be taken in a negative way.

I would(did) tell about a situation in which there is no way you can predict what's gonna happen. Explain what are possible outcomes and then explain what you did why.

In my case I took a business example from work and told why there wasn't a bullet proof answer/solution for that situation. Then showed two possible paths that could have been taken.
Then finally what I did, which was a a mid-way solution for both the paths and why.

The example one would become too geeky once you start putting in some details. If the problem is more soft skills related, it would be easier for adcom to relate.

I submitted a geeky essay last year. I applied again in R1. Hopefully some good news this time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So I just logged into the application portal for the first time, and am surprised by how skimpy the app seems to be.
Is there no space for extracurricular activities? Describing work responsibilities (other than the 1-pager resume)? Only 250 words for optional essay?

Am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
scielle wrote:
So I just logged into the application portal for the first time, and am surprised by how skimpy the app seems to be.
Is there no space for extracurricular activities? Describing work responsibilities (other than the 1-pager resume)? Only 250 words for optional essay?

Am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that MIT is down to earth and doesn't want to be fed bullshit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
scielle wrote:

Am I missing something?

Cover letter to Mr. Garcia.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.8
The invites should start coming any day now....eagerly awaiting :-)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts