Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking our questions! My recommender reached out to me today concerned about the correct length of the recommendation letter. He asked if it's appropriate for responses to be ~1 paragraph per question, or if letters are typically 1 page or so per question. I wanted to get your guidance and hopefully give him some helpful feedback to help him along!
Send PM
johnnymac wrote:
Hello,

I had a question about accepting admission. If I was to be accepted in the regular decision round, what would the deadline be for accepting the offer? Is it based on the admission date or is there a single deadline for all regular decision applicants?

Thank you

Hi johnnymac - There is a specific deadline for RD admits. It will be in late February.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
Send PM
rsmba wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking our questions! My recommender reached out to me today concerned about the correct length of the recommendation letter. He asked if it's appropriate for responses to be ~1 paragraph per question, or if letters are typically 1 page or so per question. I wanted to get your guidance and hopefully give him some helpful feedback to help him along!

Hi rsmba,

Recommendations do not have a required length. If your recommender wants to submit a paragraph per answer this is acceptable. Rarely do we see one page per question, but we do not have a required minimum or maximum length.

I hope this helps!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: CBS '15
Send PM
Hi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.
Columbia is my preferred MBA program and I would like to ensure my application is strong.
Given that, I wanted to check whether you have a certain knock-out level (didn’t find it on the program website) for the TOEFL? How will I know that the score I have received is competitive/sufficient and doesn’t jeopardize my application?
In addition, I've heard that Columbia accepts the higher score if I decide to re-take the exam.
Is that correct?

All the compliments for the great Q&A platform you provide :)
Thanks again
Send PM
visitor007 wrote:
Hi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.
Columbia is my preferred MBA program and I would like to ensure my application is strong.
Given that, I wanted to check whether you have a certain knock-out level (didn’t find it on the program website) for the TOEFL? How will I know that the score I have received is competitive/sufficient and doesn’t jeopardize my application?
In addition, I've heard that Columbia accepts the higher score if I decide to re-take the exam.
Is that correct?

All the compliments for the great Q&A platform you provide :)
Thanks again

Hi visitor007

We do not have a minimum requirement for the TOEFL. The only advice I can give you is do the best you can! We will accept your highest TOEFL score no matter how many times you retake the TOEFL.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

I wanted to ask for advice regarding recommendation letters. Of the two letters of professional recommendations, how would the admissions committee feel if I were to use my graduate school supervisor as a referee? I worked closely with my grad supervisor on a research project and he is now one of my clients at my current work. My understanding is that academic referees are discouraged.

For a referee, would my grad supervisor be a good candidate compared to someone else from my current workplace (to complement the recommendation from my current work manager)?

Thanks for any suggestions you could provide,
Kay
Send PM
kma wrote:
Hi there,

I wanted to ask for advice regarding recommendation letters. Of the two letters of professional recommendations, how would the admissions committee feel if I were to use my graduate school supervisor as a referee? I worked closely with my grad supervisor on a research project and he is now one of my clients at my current work. My understanding is that academic referees are discouraged.

For a referee, would my grad supervisor be a good candidate compared to someone else from my current workplace (to complement the recommendation from my current work manager)?

Thanks for any suggestions you could provide,
Kay

Hi Kay,

Thank you for your question. We prefer professional recommendations, however it is up to you who you choose.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Columbia Business School
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.63
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Dear Matthew,

I've just submitted by Columbia application (minutes ago) and from previous posts, I take it that applications are not reviewed until December. Is it therefore, safe to say that I won't know my decision till February? I ask this because I don't want to be obsessing over my application and checking every day!

Also, how open is the GSB to candidates with relatively lesser work experience (in my case 25 months at the time of joining)? Also, will full-time work prior to graduation (with designated responsibilities/goals/targets) be counted? As per the application instructions I have not included it in my calculation of total months of experience, but have included a note in the 'Additional Information' section.

Thank you!
Rohan
Send PM
rohanngupta wrote:
Dear Matthew,

I've just submitted by Columbia application (minutes ago) and from previous posts, I take it that applications are not reviewed until December. Is it therefore, safe to say that I won't know my decision till February? I ask this because I don't want to be obsessing over my application and checking every day!

Also, how open is the GSB to candidates with relatively lesser work experience (in my case 25 months at the time of joining)? Also, will full-time work prior to graduation (with designated responsibilities/goals/targets) be counted? As per the application instructions I have not included it in my calculation of total months of experience, but have included a note in the 'Additional Information' section.

Thank you!
Rohan

Hi Rohan,

Congratulations on submitting your application. You should allow 12 weeks for the application to be reviewed once your application goes 'under review.'

Work experience is not a prerequisite for acceptance into the MBA program at Columbia, however the middle 80 % of admitted students have 3-7 years of prior professional experience. Prospective candidates with strong credentials have been accepted immediately from undergraduate study. In addition, we are not looking for a specific type of work experience, but rather aim to create a diverse class with different backgrounds and interests. Ideal applicants have demonstrated leadership, have the ability to work as members of a team, and can contribute to the academic experience of their peers. We will take into consideration all work experience that you put into the application.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Matthew,

Could you please shed some light on the "Reconsider later" status. What are the chances of acceptance after being deferred (for ED applicants).

Many thanks for your time and contribution to this forum!
Send PM
ksk80 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Could you please shed some light on the "Reconsider later" status. What are the chances of acceptance after being deferred (for ED applicants).

Many thanks for your time and contribution to this forum!

Hi ksk80,

Thank you for your question. These applicants will be considered again with the larger pool and are no longer bound to the ED requirements. Unfortunately we cannot speak to your "chances;" however we do admit students every year who are given this initial decision.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.63
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
rohanngupta wrote:
Dear Matthew,

Thank you!
Rohan

Hi Rohan,

Congratulations on submitting your application. You should allow 12 weeks for the application to be reviewed once your application goes 'under review.'

Work experience is not a prerequisite for acceptance into the MBA program at Columbia, however the middle 80 % of admitted students have 3-7 years of prior professional experience. Prospective candidates with strong credentials have been accepted immediately from undergraduate study. In addition, we are not looking for a specific type of work experience, but rather aim to create a diverse class with different backgrounds and interests. Ideal applicants have demonstrated leadership, have the ability to work as members of a team, and can contribute to the academic experience of their peers. We will take into consideration all work experience that you put into the application.

Good luck!

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for clearing that up. Considering I have 8 months of experience prior to graduation, should I have entered (25 + 8) = 33 months (instead of my current 25) in the online application, or is the note in the 'additional information' section sufficient. Is it worth writing an e-mail to the admissions committee to sort this out?

Thank you again,
Rohan
Send PM
rohanngupta wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
rohanngupta wrote:
Dear Matthew,

Thank you!
Rohan

Hi Rohan,

Good luck!

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for clearing that up. Considering I have 8 months of experience prior to graduation, should I have entered (25 + 8) = 33 months (instead of my current 25) in the online application, or is the note in the 'additional information' section sufficient. Is it worth writing an e-mail to the admissions committee to sort this out?

Thank you again,
Rohan

Hi Rohan - Your original entry is correct. The additional note is enough.

Thank you for your question.
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hi Matthew,

I have a question considering the salary info in the online application.
Am I required to share the gross salary info i.e with taxes included or the net pay from which taxes are deduced ?

Thank you

Best regards,
Send PM
amaterasu wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Am I required to share the gross salary info i.e with taxes included or the net pay from which taxes are deduced ?

Thank you

Best regards,

Hi amaterasu - You should include your salary before taxes.

Thank you!
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
amaterasu wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thank you

Best regards,

Hi amaterasu - You should include your salary before taxes.

Thank you!

Thank you Matthew for your quick reply and information.

Best regards,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Matthew,

I'm applying for the January 4 deadline for the full time program. I am a US citizen and currently reside in NYC. However, I am going to Switzerland to study French for a month just after January 15. I understand from previous comments that the application review can take up to 12 weeks. Therefore, is it safe to assume that if I arrive back in NYC at the end of February that I won't miss any possible interview invitations?

How much notice is given prior to the proposed interview date?

Alternatively, if I am still in Switzerland for over a month, is it possible to rearrange the interview such that it takes place with an alumni or school representative near Geneva or Zurich?

Thank you very much.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts