Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [29]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Destroyed the GMAT with 770 : Strategies & Advice Inside [#permalink]
All the best for admissions. All the best to apply for Wharton and LBS. :)
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Hey,
Congrats on the score.
i am in the same boat. Verbal comes naturally to me but still getting to 47+ seems to be a challenge. Any suggestions for that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Anasthaesium wrote:
Hey,
Congrats on the score.
i am in the same boat. Verbal comes naturally to me but still getting to 47+ seems to be a challenge. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks. Why do you want to get a 47+ on Verbal ? I guess people rarely get that . Since I myself have a 44, so don't know how to get to a 47 :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Congrats!!!

Can you help me in RC, i can read novels and wsj easily but when i read RC, i get confused in intricate writing style of passage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
wow wat a score!!!
congrats....
i am going to write my exam on 19th jan. but i still haven't figured out how to crack RC. i tend to lose concentration and skimming doesn't work for me either. can you help me??
also regarding your first strategy, did you find any topicwise questions for quants?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
foofighter5 wrote:
10. Do not go crazy learning Idioms. I don't remember seeing any Idiom based questions so that rumour that idioms are being phased out is indeed not a rumour,it's the truth. This is from my own personal experience so please don't hold me accountable if you see any idiom based SC.

Congratulations for an outstanding score!

Do you think that, at any point of time during the exam, any of the 220 idioms that are in SC Grail helped you to identify the correct answer? I am quite skeptical to cram the idioms that are in SC Grail since at one hand, the number is quite high and at the other hand, the idioms are not actually idioms but are more on focussed on the usage. Can you help me to get out of this dilemma?

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [2]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: EE - Power Systems
Schools:McCombs, ISB, Insead, LBS
 Q47  V36 GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 1.5
WE 2: 5.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mittal82 wrote:
foofighter5 wrote:
10. Do not go crazy learning Idioms. I don't remember seeing any Idiom based questions so that rumour that idioms are being phased out is indeed not a rumour,it's the truth. This is from my own personal experience so please don't hold me accountable if you see any idiom based SC.

Do you think that, at any point of time during the exam, any of the 220 idioms that are in SC Grail helped you to identify the correct answer? I am quite skeptical to cram the idioms that are in SC Grail since at one hand, the number is quite high and at the other hand, the idioms are not actually idioms but are more on focussed on the usage. Can you help me to get out of this dilemma?

Cheers!

Mittal,

I would not have suggested this to anyone a few weeks ago before all the talk about GMAC trying to phase out "American idioms" out. But from everything I have read so far from different forms, I am inclined to believe that GMAC is actually phasing out all idioms (or at least solely idiom based questions).

That said, I think cramming all the idioms into your head can actually harm you in 2 ways.
1) You end up spending disproportional amount of time on studying idioms compared to the frequency they appear on the test. Obviously not the best bang for your study time.
2) I feel that most of the idioms actually diverge from the traditional grammar rules. You run the risk of unlearning some of the rules for the sake of idioms and end up being more confused.

I am planning to take my test in Feb and above are my thoughts about idioms and am going to stick to those. Highly recommend folks to evaluate their situation and pick their approach.

Vijay
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
congrats on the great score....n all the best for your future endeavours...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
great score indeed!

Quote:
2. Read the explanations to each question and in your error log , write down the takeaway from each question. This will help you revise the questions easily.

3. The cardinal rule which I learnt early on is that "if you don't learn anything new from a question, that means you have wasted your time and effort".

I have been using the same take-away technique - particularly for Sentence Correction.
However for Critical Reasoning - Strengthen and Weaken questions, I can rarely see any patterns or types of correct choices. So I get a feeling that I am not gaining much by solving. Is that how this question type works you think?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
vbetanabhatla wrote:
mittal82 wrote:
foofighter5 wrote:

Cheers!

Mittal,

I would not have suggested this to anyone a few weeks ago before all the talk about GMAC trying to phase out "American idioms" out. But from everything I have read so far from different forms, I am inclined to believe that GMAC is actually phasing out all idioms (or at least solely idiom based questions).

That said, I think cramming all the idioms into your head can actually harm you in 2 ways.
1) You end up spending disproportional amount of time on studying idioms compared to the frequency they appear on the test. Obviously not the best bang for your study time.
2) I feel that most of the idioms actually diverge from the traditional grammar rules. You run the risk of unlearning some of the rules for the sake of idioms and end up being more confused.

I am planning to take my test in Feb and above are my thoughts about idioms and am going to stick to those. Highly recommend folks to evaluate their situation and pick their approach.

Vijay

Thanks Vijay!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
FooFighter5:
1. I did a quick search on Aristotle SC Grail & Aristotle New SC Question bank on Amazon- A Powerscore book showed up- I this the one you are referring to?
https://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-GMAT-S ... 146&sr=8-1
2. Ultimate One minute Explanations to OG12 S- I didn't find this book either

Care to share link for purchase?
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
alicegmat wrote:
great score indeed!

Quote:
2. Read the explanations to each question and in your error log , write down the takeaway from each question. This will help you revise the questions easily.

3. The cardinal rule which I learnt early on is that "if you don't learn anything new from a question, that means you have wasted your time and effort".

I have been using the same take-away technique - particularly for Sentence Correction.
However for Critical Reasoning - Strengthen and Weaken questions, I can rarely see any patterns or types of correct choices. So I get a feeling that I am not gaining much by solving. Is that how this question type works you think?

I made an error log because it was recommended by many succesful test takers but i do not know how to benefit from it. Can anyone explain by showing a snippet of his/her error log
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations- this was inspiring to read :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Hi
From where can i get Aristotle SC grail ??
Also GMAT prep SC --> are you talking about the questions from gmat prep tests ?

thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
congratulation for scoring such a high score.. and very effective debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1488 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Hey congrats, can you please suggest material for Quant? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
crimemaster wrote:
FooFighter5:
1. I did a quick search on Aristotle SC Grail & Aristotle New SC Question bank on Amazon- A Powerscore book showed up- I this the one you are referring to?
https://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-GMAT-S ... 146&sr=8-1
2. Ultimate One minute Explanations to OG12 S- I didn't find this book either

Care to share link for purchase?
Thanks!

All of the books can be purchased from www.aristotleprep.com. All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts