Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [17]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [7]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which will rip its own [#permalink]
Kudos
I was confused with C.. good question.. +1E too.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which will rip its own [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I plead to know what exactly a meaning –based question is. I think that many perceive it mainly focusing of distortion of meaning, altered intent, or not carrying the original intent intact and so on. Some also profess that whereupon the original text displays a ridiculous meaning, we have a right to choose something more sensible and logical. However, is this any thing new? This has been there all through in the past. Then what does GMAT intend to convey by saying it is changing over to more meaning – focused questions?

We have so far realized that, after dumping all those ungrammatical choices, the final choice will fall upon the one that is more logical over the one that is grammatical, yet less logical.

Let us delve into the issue at hand.

A. Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which will rip its own kin at the slightest of need --- its is wrong pronoun – a grammar error
B. Heartless human beings were like wild animals, which have ripped their own kin at the slightest of need ----- This is a generalization and the use of were is wrong tense; a grammar error
C. Human beings are like heartless wild animals, which rip their own kin in the slightest of need –----- The sweeping remark that all human beings are heartless is absurd; a sever distortion of original intent
D. Human beings are like heartless wild animals, which rip at its own kin in the slightest of need------ Same as C
E. Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which rip their own kin in the slightest of need. ----The remnant that corrects the errors

Aren’t these old types of questions? Can some lead me on to some thing new about these questions?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Its E

A---->invalid Subject verb agreement
B---->No need to use any perfect tense
C---->Change in meaning
D---->Change in meaning
E----->Correct(both Subject verb agreement,concise and meaning is preserved)

E is the answer
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
@tuanquang269 - great explanation and correct answer. You get the Video solutions for posting your response. Please sign up on e-GMAT and send us your account details.

@daagh

In my opinion, (understanding) Meaning has been central to solving Sentence Correction questions since OG 11 and therfore an integral part e-GMAT Sentence Correction course. OG 12, released in April 2010, continued this emphasis and had more questions in which one had to understand the intent of the sentence based on the original choice to be able to respond correctly.

However, this emphasis on meaning came as a surprise to quite a few individuals and a few experts. People on GMATClub and BTG panicked (you can read their posts on the forums) after realizing they could no longer do well in Sentence Correction purely on grammatical issues without understand the intended meaning. This was further accentuated when GMAC openly stated that a sentence correction questions may have more than one grammatically correct answer choice, but only one of them would communicate the intended meaning.

Since the egmat SC course is probably one of the few courses that has such a clear emphasis on meaning, and since a good amount of confusion still exists, we decided to share our research through various ways. We have a free concept accessible to everyone who registers on e-GMAT. We also conduct a free live session on "importance on meaning" every month. In addition we decided to write this article with the aim to:

1. Help those who have been ignoring the meaning and primarily been following the splits approach to understand the various strategies that GMAC uses to distort the meaning.

2. Provide them with an modified approach (we call it the e-GMAT 3 step process) so that they can attain higher accuracy on the GMAT.

we have only detailed one approach in this article so far and will be outlining other approaches over the next 10 days. Those who are planning to take the exam in the next 4-5 days can download the document and go through the OG questions that we have outlined in the table.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the elucidation from e-gmat and agreeing with me that this meaning-based affair is indeed an ongoing one and not a new concept. I was wondering whether those making noise about it now had anything fresh, up their sleeve as a surprise.
apparently there seems to be none.

Still I have a gut-feeling that there is more to it than meets the eye, though I am not able to give a concrete shape to it.But my feeling may just be a fancy of my own. Let’s wait and see
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which will rip its own kin at the slightest of need and that too without a sign of remorse.

A. Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which will rip its own kin at the slightest of need
B. Heartless human beings were like wild animals, which have ripped their own kin at the slightest of need
C. Human beings are like heartless wild animals, which rip their own kin in the slightest of need
D. Human beings are like heartless wild animals, which rip at its own kin in the slightest of need
E. Heartless human beings are like wild animals, which rip their own kin in the slightest of need.

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents a similarity (use of word like) between heartless human beings and wild animals. Heartless human beings are like wild animals. These wild animals rip their own kin when the need arises and they do not even feel any sign of remorse.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

1. Heartless human beings are like wild animals,
2. which will rip its own kin at the slightest of need and that too without a sign of remorse.
The sentence structure of the sentence is as shown above. The two SV pairs agree in number and logically make sense. The simple present tense “are” is appropriate as this sentence states a fact that is true in the present context. However, use of future tense “will rip” appears incorrect. This is a general fact about the wild animals and hence should be stated in simple present tense. Furthermore, “its” pronoun refers to wild animals but it does not agree in number. It should be “their”.

Review Answer choices to do POE

Choice B – use of past tense “were” implies that heartless humans beings are no longer like wild animals. This distorts the intended meaning. Furthermore, “have ripped” is incorrect since it now no longer communicates a general fact about wild animals. It states as if the action of “have ripped” is a one-time action that has been completed.

Choice C – This choice changes the intended meaning of the sentence. It now implies that “human beings” in general are like “heartless wild animals”. Note that the original sentence implied that “heartless human beings” are like “wild animals”. Thus, by changing the placement of the modifier “heartless”, the meaning of the sentence has changed. Note that this sentence is otherwise grammatically sound.

Choice D – This choice changes the intended meaning of the sentence as choice C does. It also has pronoun error as choice A does. Also, the expression “rip at its own kin” distorts the meaning of the expression “rip its own kin”.

Choice E – Correct Choice.

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the intended meaning of the sentence and then select the choice that correctly communicates that meaning. Understand the role of each modifier in the sentence and note for any changes in the placement of these modifiers.

2. Use appropriate verb tense to communicate the intended logical meaning. This implies that you should understand two things
a. The function of each verb tense – grammatical knowledge
b. The intent of the sentence – What does the sentence want to communicate? – meaning

Note: The attachment at https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html contains the document with Strategies for Meaning Change and the questions with detailed solutions. Note that this is a "living" document. We add the strategies, questions, and explanations in this document as we add them on the forum. So be sure to download the latest version!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Leadership
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Nice explanation Payal.. (assuming its you...) this egmat process is great for SC. thanks for this again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
can someone explain why A) its is the wrong pronoun? wild animlas–its///// animals (plural) its is plural as well no? or is this where I am worng.. Its is singular and their is plural?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
johndepp wrote:
Nice explanation Payal.. (assuming its you...) this egmat process is great for SC. thanks for this again.

@johndepp, yes that's me Payal...:) I am glad you like the process...
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Send PM
Kudos