Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [7]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: 100 Point Improvements - THEY ARE POSSIBLE [#permalink]
wow....thats hope for ppl stuck in the 600s rut....Congrats!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
I can so relate with you, but the only difference was that I had to work on sentence correction.

Just like you, I scored between 680-720 before the GMAT and scored 620 on the GMAT in October.

I barely studied since my last gmat and scored 730 on the second attempt.

I think that GMAT had a lot of weird questions in the month of october and the questions in december are more like OG12 questions.

Which schools are you planning to apply to?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
This is a great example of doing what works for you. You didn't let the original GMAT bring you down, you didn't quit, and you made the necessary changes. All great characteristics in an MBA hopeful. Congrats on your stellar score!

As a quick question, did you take any of the GMATprep tests more than once before your original test? I have seen some members using 2nd attempt GMATprep tests as a true indicator of test day success.

You really made a huge improvement. Quite an accomplishment! Now your done with the GMAT FOREVER :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Did you do any additional Verbal prep after your first attempt or all focus was on Quant?

Zero, zilch. Was hard to just leave it alone, but I needed to be really effective on the quant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
This is a great example of doing what works for you. You didn't let the original GMAT bring you down, you didn't quit, and you made the necessary changes. All great characteristics in an MBA hopeful. Congrats on your stellar score!

As a quick question, did you take any of the GMATprep tests more than once before your original test? I have seen some members using 2nd attempt GMATprep tests as a true indicator of test day success.

You really made a huge improvement. Quite an accomplishment! Now your done with the GMAT FOREVER :-D

Thanks so much. I feel great about my results. I did take the GMATprep tests I think twice each, and had very few repeat questions. This was extremely helpful for me and I think the results were fairly accurate. I think that I got 640, 690, 710, 710 on my prep tests. I did just the quant section the weekend before my second exam and got a 48. I then got a 48 on the actual exam. Fairly accurate in my opinion on the quant.

However, I didn't think that the verbal was as accurate. I never got higher than a 41 on the GMATprep tests, but got a 44 on both my actual exams.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Congrats. I am on the same boat. But rowing the Quant oar faster now :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
46 verbal- do you have any tips especially for verbal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Great result, really good accomplishment!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 01-12-2012
Send PM
Wow! Fantastic score!! Congrats!

I had the exact numbers in my First attempt 640. 44. 31.The only difference Q44 and V 31!!!!!!

Any tips on verbal!???I got my exam in Early Jan!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi all,
Thanks so much for your kind words and congratulations. Unfortunately I don't have any great tips for verbal - I am just very lucky that the verbal component of the test comes very naturally to me. I was a literature & creative writing major in college and I have a job in which I do a large amount of communications work.

However, there is one component to my quant studying that I think is valuable when applied to any portion of the test: improving your stamina. As I was preparing for my second exam, I spent many days doing sets of 20-40 quant problems in a row without checking answers or reviewing. After each set I would check to see how many I had done correctly, but would not review the correct answers/methods until I had completed 3-4 sets. This made test day feel mild in comparison. This to me seems especially relevant for those who struggle with verbal, because on test day you'll be taking the verbal section when tired because it comes last. If you work on large problem sets, you will be accustomed to answering verbal questions when tired :)

I think that building up my stamina helped me to feel calm about my performance on the exam - I wouldn't be the overwhelming, anxiety-ridden disaster that the first exam felt like.

Best wishes to all! I'm still in disbelief that I could improve my score so drastically - but if I can do it, so can others!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [5]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos