Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
booth1styear - To me you sound like someone who was not prepared for things to be difficult once you got into an MBA program, like maybe you thought you were just going to be handed your dream job once you walked in the door. Now that you realize its not easy and you have to work even harder at getting a job than you did at getting accepted, you think the grass is greener somewhere else.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
The harsh reality ( espescially for career changers from Asia) sets in when they get to the campus and realise jobs dont just shore up on the campus like they used to at Undergrads in Asia., that you need to "network" your way into the real world ( a concept usually looked down upon as "brown-nosing" in India and China) and if you have no relevant experience in your past ( IT guys trying to MBB / GS MS JPM) then you better be fantabulous at networking and selling yourself in the limited airtime that you get at the recruiting fairs. If not, you got ~500 days till recruiting for internships, get out there and learn how to.

All these factors lead to a bitter job search for the Asian applicant. I have seen it happen personally a lot of times with 1st degree friends, which is why I give thanks everyday for me becoming an entrepreneur ( For an entrep., the way of life is networking and sales no matter what your industry is)

It is true that the so-called " prestigious jobs" are going to be scarce even at the Internship stage. Not even H/S can give a "100% guarantee to every candidate who wants a job at Mckinsey that they will have it because Harvard is better than Booth". The important thing is to know that MBB/ GS MS JPM recruit at Booth. They really do.

A top school can only get your foot in the front door ( Even Sloan is no different than Booth in this regard). Once they bring those recruiters in, those who acknowledge the fact that the world is not fair, those who realize that time is better spent preparing than whining and those who plunge head first into the competition will most often than not , come out with a job offer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
congratulations to all the admits and best of luck to all in waitlists

cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Be careful of booth1styear; he may be trying to get off waitlist or something and ruining someone else's judgments and good chance of selecting their own ideal school. I think in general such whining posts should go somewhere else. It helps no one.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Just to put things into a "complete perspective", here is a link to an insider from Wharton and how she spent an year jobless from WHARTON.

https://thembasaga.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... on-on.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I think everyone who has done their research knows that banking jobs and whatnot are down RIGHT NOW but who knows what it will be in a few years. All top b schools are facing the same situation its not just Booth
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
To be honest, I read the flagged post. I think it's weird someone's talking about getting internships when no interviews take place before January. I would reply with my perspective on his post but it's clear from the replies the applicants/admits in this forum can clearly think for themselves. All I can say is that I've never heard anything remotely negative like this about Booth from other 1st years.

Having said that I genuinely encourage people to visit all schools and talk to current students in person before making up their mind about school A or B. Booth may not be for you and that's totally fine. We're here because we were in your shoes last year--we're not cheerleaders.

As always if anyone wants to talk about Booth--the good, the bad and the ugly, feel free to PM me.

I won't delete the post (I abhor the thought of suppressing opinions), but if any other mods/admins feel it's warranted, by all means go ahead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Congrats to all those who were accepted to Booth! It is a great school. I was waitlisted last year and was dinged after interview this year. Luckily, the day before I was admitted to Kellogg and was kind of leaning that way due to fit and my interests.

Especially glad to see OsborneCox break through this year! I always enjoyed reading is posts.

As for the disgruntled poster above. Don't let one person sway your opinion. There is always going to be a vocal minority. I imagine that there are 10 happy Booth alums for every dissatisfied one. Business school will be what you make of it.

Sorry to hear those who got dings. I'm sure be accepted to another great school, but for now I'll attach my pick-me-up song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry4iwzS4Na0

Best of luck in the future,
C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hey,

Is any of the accepted students in NYC going to the Student-Hosted event today?

I'm not sure if it's for accepted or only prospective students.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
m2608 wrote:
Hey,

Is any of the accepted students in NYC going to the Student-Hosted event today?

I'm not sure if it's for accepted or only prospective students.

Thanks!

i had the same question, but i am going.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Moderators.. Please check/flag this post. This person seems to have joined today, and his only post is a rant about Booth. There is no way to verify this.

USAinUK wrote:
Can we flag this somehow? How do we know this person is associated w/ Booth? .

So, for now I've decided to leave the post as it is and not delete it. My reasoning for it is -
1. There is almost no way to verify the genuineness of the post.
2. It is merely an opinion (even if real). It is not abusive or offensive in any way.

We do have awesome GC members who are current students or alums of Booth. We can always reach out to them via PM or through the forum to seek information on any topic. Further, all of us are mature enough not to be swayed by one opinion. I believe that if each of one of us is preparing to spend 2 years of our lives and close to $200K, we will do our due diligence carefully before deciding on anything.

At the end of the day, take the post as it is - just an opinion. Take it, evaluate it and think about it if you wish to or simply leave it. The option is yours. If people don't react to it, it will anyway fade away...

However, if these posts become repetitive, obviously misleading or offensive in any way, I will be the first one to delete them and ban the user.

Feel free to let me know if anyone differs with my opinion...If the collective opinion is that the posts should be deleted, I will be happy to do so..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Moderators.. Please check/flag this post. This person seems to have joined today, and his only post is a rant about Booth. There is no way to verify this.

USAinUK wrote:
Can we flag this somehow? How do we know this person is associated w/ Booth? .

So, for now I've decided to leave the post as it is and not delete it. My reasoning for it is -
1. There is almost no way to verify the genuineness of the post.
2. It is merely an opinion (even if real). It is not abusive or offensive in any way.

We do have awesome GC members who are current students or alums of Booth. We can always reach out to them via PM or through the forum to seek information on any topic. Further, all of us are mature enough not to be swayed by one opinion. I believe that if each of one of us is preparing to spend 2 years of our lives and close to $200K, we will do our due diligence carefully before deciding on anything.

At the end of the day, take the post as it is - just an opinion. Take it, evaluate it and think about it if you wish to or simply leave it. The option is yours. If people don't react to it, it will anyway fade away...

However, if these posts become repetitive, obviously misleading or offensive in any way, I will be the first one to delete them and ban the user.

Feel free to let me know if anyone differs with my opinion...If the collective opinion is that the posts should be deleted, I will be happy to do so..

I agree 100%.

It is just an opinion and it should be considered just like that. I don't understand why this big scandal. We, prospective MBA's, should be prepared for opinions we dislike or disagree.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
booth1styear wrote:
Hi All,

I am a first year student at Chicago Booth. Congrats to all who made it. For people who did not make it, please do not lose heart. I know you might think that it is easier for me to say this because I am already in. I was in your shoes last year and was anxious about my results. I worked very hard on my essays and succeeded in getting in. I was happy but now i regret joining Booth. Contrary to perception, Booth students are struggling in getting internship. There are 200+ chasing consulting for internship with very few consulting opportunities out there. Banking recruitment is down and bank did not make enough offers to 2nd years who did internships. There is hardly any collaboration among Booth students. I and most of my friends have struggled in getting any guidance from batch mates, seniors and alumni. No matter what the admissions blog tells you, Booth alumnus don't respond to your mails. The faculty is great and one learns a lot. But it's practically impossible to land your dream job or anything close to that.

If you have a choice between Booth and H,S,W,Kellogg, Sloan, choose the other schools. There is much more support available. In case you are from Asia, NUS and ISB are better if you consider the money invested in your valuations. It's your career and the choice is completely yours. I just wanted to put the truth out there.

Regards

Your well wisher

Boys,

I'm a current student at Booth and Booth1year probably knows who I am as I used the same photo on my Booth Facebook page and still use it on my Linked page.

To be fare, I must admit that this recruiting is equally tough for everyone in all top school and ONLY strong candidates
will get their "dream" jobs. For me, a given candidate has equal chance of getting the job regardless of whether he is in Booth/MIT/HBS/Wharton/Columbia/Kellogg, provided that the firm recruits on campus. As for alumni support, I have not heard any complaint about this; alumni network helped me and my friends to arrange meetings/calls with key people.

Folks, let me repeat, everything depends on a candidate, and you will screwd if you think that admission guarantees you a fantastic job offer and you can relax. Your admission is just a start of a very interesting challenge and Booth equips you with all ammunition you need to win the war. Accepting you, Adcoms assumed that you are capable of using "these tools", so stop regretting and start working.

P.S. I bet you would have written the same post if you were admitted to any other good school. And, in case you are real, I am ready to grab some beer and meet with you this week to learn about your disappointment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [3]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
booth1styear wrote:
Hi All,

I am a first year student at Chicago Booth. Congrats to all who made it. For people who did not make it, please do not lose heart. I know you might think that it is easier for me to say this because I am already in. I was in your shoes last year and was anxious about my results. I worked very hard on my essays and succeeded in getting in. I was happy but now i regret joining Booth. Contrary to perception, Booth students are struggling in getting internship. There are 200+ chasing consulting for internship with very few consulting opportunities out there. Banking recruitment is down and bank did not make enough offers to 2nd years who did internships. There is hardly any collaboration among Booth students. I and most of my friends have struggled in getting any guidance from batch mates, seniors and alumni. No matter what the admissions blog tells you, Booth alumnus don't respond to your mails. The faculty is great and one learns a lot. But it's practically impossible to land your dream job or anything close to that.

If you have a choice between Booth and H,S,W,Kellogg, Sloan, choose the other schools. There is much more support available. In case you are from Asia, NUS and ISB are better if you consider the money invested in your valuations. It's your career and the choice is completely yours. I just wanted to put the truth out there.

Regards

Your well wisher

I love this kind of stuff. The school is definitely doing a great job. Honestly, you don't seem to be a Booth student (are you in the WL? or have been dinged?).

As far as recruiting goes, we have more than 100 internship invite slots for interviewing at McKinsey. Same thing for Bain and BCG (therefore, 300+ slots for a class of 570 people).

Here the last update from Career Services (November'11):

Class of 2013: Internship postings: up 12% overall (consulting up 10%, IB up 5%,
Attachment:
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png [ 10.76 KiB | Viewed 5881 times ]

And here you can find Booth some Booth 2011 numbers (Consulting) https://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/16/mc ... ke-haas/2/

About student collaboration, one of the things I'm liking the most about the school is about how extremely collaborative are the students. For example, I cannot tell you how many times in the Metra (train) to the school I've seen people helping others with individual class assignments due the same day. By the way, I remember you that here we are under GND.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
wow IB is up 5% even with all the banking layoffs?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
rid82 wrote:
And here you can find Booth some Booth 2011 numbers (Consulting) https://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/16/mc ... ke-haas/2/

With the exception of Kellogg, Booth seems to be the strongest school for consulting. And even compared to Kellogg's numbers, Booth is probably on the same level given that so many of its students go into finance.

Here's another article that touches on internship hires at the top schools: https://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/28/fi ... a-interns/
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for sharing with us your opinion.

The wording is not rude or offensive. It is just an opinion. Considering today's downturn I think the guy says true.
I know guys your disappointment hearing not so good news about Booth, but the truth is there , yes it is hard to get an internship. Yes alumni are not 100% responsive.

Please respect other opinions and don't ask moderators to delete posts saying true but unpleasant things.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  55   56   57   58   59  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts