Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: GMAT correlation with being successful in bschool [#permalink]
I like this post because it is a great example of how ANYONE can flip statistics to look good in their favor. I read a book once called "How to Lie With Statistics" and it really shows how these types of articles really make no valid points.

What I'm trying to say is that her population that she's looking at is not representative. If these low GMATers she's looking at got into Ross with a low GMAT they were probably already successful in other areas (leadership, overall success potential, strong GPA). GMAT is just one rating of success, but why is she even correlating it to anything else other than 1st year Bschool success? This is not what it's meant for... This is what GMAC says the GMAT can be used for:
Quote:
• The GMAT® exam is a reliable and valid measure of verbal and quantitative skills found to be important in the graduate business study. In repeated research studies, GMAT scores have been found to be an accurate predictor of academic success in the first year of an MBA or other graduate management program.

So in admissions the GMAT is just one aspect that is looked it. Of course people with low GMATs will often be the most successful, because the school saw that they were successful in other areas of there application. Of course this test doesn't correlate to leadership, success in school, and other areas. It's not what it was meant for, and its not one GMAC wants it to be meant for. This article is just a way to show that the GMAT isn't everything, but we already knew that.

Generally a high GMAT score is going to help an Adcom decide if this person will be successful, but if other areas of your application trump this, of course you'll get in!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
I'd flip the question to the extreme - who cares about success in a school (not to mention the GMAT)? Show that you can do in the real life!
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
GMAT is just one rating of success, but why is she even correlating it to anything else other than 1st year Bschool success? This is not what it's meant for... This is what GMAC says the GMAT can be used for: • The GMAT® exam is a reliable and valid measure of verbal and quantitative skills found to be important in the graduate business study. In repeated research studies, GMAT scores have been found to be an accurate predictor of academic success in the first year of an MBA or other graduate management program.

Perhaps that's why she's pointing it out, because so many people take the GMAT as more than it was meant to be, including schools themselves sometimes. Not even to mention rankings which expand the value of higher GMAT scores.

GMATLA wrote:
So in admissions the GMAT is just one aspect that is looked it. Of course people with low GMATs will often be the most successful, because the school saw that they were successful in other areas of there application. Of course this test doesn't correlate to leadership, success in school, and other areas. It's not what it was meant for, and its not one GMAC wants it to be meant for. This article is just a way to show that the GMAT isn't everything, but we already knew that.

I think the problem is a lot of people don't know that, especially when recruiters sometimes ask for people's GMAT scores. The only reason to do that is because they think it will effect how well you do in the jobs they have to offer.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Vorskl wrote:
I'd flip the question to the extreme - who cares about success in a school (not to mention the GMAT)? Show that you can do in the real life!

Part of being successful in business school is being recruited into the job you want - and I think everyone would say that's also a measure of real-life success. And that's one of the things the head of admissions was saying they check in on at Ross - whether students were doing well or struggling with recruiting. Also depending on whether your school has grade disclosure or not you might care a lot of about success in school. I'm sure some recruiters also want to see that you displayed leadership in school - which is another thing the article said they were using as a measure of success in bschool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
I wouldn't know! People are pretty guarded about their GMAT scores here. We talk a bit about the GMAT and our experiences, but nobody talks scores...
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Moss wrote:
I wouldn't know! People are pretty guarded about their GMAT scores here. We talk a bit about the GMAT and our experiences, but nobody talks scores...

Maybe it just doesn't matter to people so much after they're admitted so discussing scores isn't interesting. But if you get the feeling it's because people are self-conscious about it, I find that odd.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Not really sure why people don't discuss it... but honestly I think people see the GMAT for what it is: a means to an end. And the end is the business school where all of us, regardless of what we scored, ended up at.
GMAT Club Bot