Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
MDF wrote:
Does anyone know if Kroll checks undergrad extracurriculars?

I ask because I was in several student run groups that I'm putting on my application. And I'm quite certain that it's going to be near impossible for Kroll to get these verified given the fact that they were mostly student run and my involvement was over 3-5 years ago.

The only reason a school will probably revoke admission is if they can prove that an applicant lied on the application, i.e. if they call someone up and find out you didn't actually work there or didn't volunteer there. They won't revoke an admission because they can't verify something - I recommend not basing the application details on what will happen in the background check - as long as you don't make up stuff you should be fine!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
fmkhan84 wrote:
does anyone know if kroll asks for the HR number or the employer number?

They use https://www.theworknumber.com/ where possible (in my experience at least).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
dalillama wrote:

I wonder what happens for those of those that run our own company where we are the only full-time employee :roll:

If it serves as any indication, MIT (who, along with Kellogg, does their verification with ReVera, not Kroll), says that in those cases they will ask for the certificate of incorporation and perhaps other documents.

But really, with my own company and another nonprofit I'm involved with--we were functioning organizations for months, if not years, before incorporating.

So the dates for a startup would be impossible to verify IMO. And further, there are many small businesses that choose not to incorporate at all or choose another legal structure all together.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can anybody confirm whether or not Kroll verifies extra-curriculars like university clubs or volunteering at an NGO?

I know it varies depending on school but does anyone know of any school checking specifically for extracurriculars? Someone asked above but i'm still not clear about this. I have virtually no proof or evidence of at least 2 extra-curriculars and I am not sure if they can be confirmed.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Kudos
I talked with the assistant director of admissions at Fuqua regarding the Kroll background check. Of course I didn't come out and just straight ask her, but mentioned all the little things I still needed to do now that the school has admitted me into the program. She said that the background check is very basic, at least in Fuqua's case.

So Kroll will check your current work, your education history, any licenses/professional designations, one recommender, public records, credit history, and current salary (through contact with your company). Kroll will ask for the contact details to make these checks, your personal details so they can check your credit details, and your consent. The conversation with your company should literally take a couple minutes and just confirm what you’ve already reported. Finally, they charge you about $100 for the check. She pretty much came out and said it really was no big deal (almost exactly what she said).

When you get down to it, for the small price you are paying, how much of a check do you really think they will do? They aren’t likely to sic some investigative guru on your one little case when they have countless thousands to process. So unless you lied outright on your application, it's all good.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
krismba2012 wrote:
Can anybody confirm whether or not Kroll verifies extra-curriculars like university clubs or volunteering at an NGO?

I know it varies depending on school but does anyone know of any school checking specifically for extracurriculars? Someone asked above but i'm still not clear about this. I have virtually no proof or evidence of at least 2 extra-curriculars and I am not sure if they can be confirmed.

Thanks

No idea, and like you said a lot of that stuff would be near impossible to verify--forget about the difficulty of proving you were in an ECA, think about all the other stuff like hours per week, offices held, number of people in the club, etc. My guess is that Kroll will take a cursory look into anything that sounds a little too incredible, but beyond that they don't have the time or manpower to go further. Or if they are unable to verify something they wanted to check on, they'll contact you and ask for contact information for someone who can verify it--in my case I had to provide an alternate phone number for a part-time employer.

I still stand by my initial assertion from about 150 posts back--unless you were deliberately misleading in some way, you've got nothing to worry about on the background check. They're not going to get hung up on exact salaries or dates or bonuses or number of direct-reports.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I thought I should chime in here.

Kroll is divided into various divisions and they each manage differing levels of what can broadly be described as "investigations." They range from background checks for entry-level hires at corporations, to client on-boarding reviews (done by compliance officers) at multinationals, to very tailored special-situation investigations where their staff are hired out at very high rates (big law/MC rates, something like $800 an hour).

Business schools want to make sure they haven't admitted a fraud. Outright frauds are not terribly difficult to uncover when you've committed to cooperating fully with the process (ie. you agree to disclose information and authorize Kroll to carry out checks) and that's what schools are looking out for. Picture yourself as the admissions officer, and picture what kind of violation or contradiction would make them seriously question their decision to admit you. Don't worry unless you have something as serious as that (ie. your recommender doesn't exist, your company of 25 staff that you founded doesn't exist, etc).
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Phillips Exeter
Schools:Wharton, Duke, Columbia, Yale, Dartmouth, NYU, Cornell
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.55 [Ivy Engineering]
WE 1: Boutique IB / Tech - 5 years at mat.
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
Hi, I thought I should chime in here.

Kroll is divided into various divisions and they each manage differing levels of what can broadly be described as "investigations." They range from background checks for entry-level hires at corporations, to client on-boarding reviews (done by compliance officers) at multinationals, to very tailored special-situation investigations where their staff are hired out at very high rates (big law/MC rates, something like $800 an hour).

Business schools want to make sure they haven't admitted a fraud. Outright frauds are not terribly difficult to uncover when you've committed to cooperating fully with the process (ie. you agree to disclose information and authorize Kroll to carry out checks) and that's what schools are looking out for. Picture yourself as the admissions officer, and picture what kind of violation or contradiction would make them seriously question their decision to admit you. Don't worry unless you have something as serious as that (ie. your recommender doesn't exist, your company of 25 staff that you founded doesn't exist, etc).

what about missing information? say you did not report a masters program enrollment or something... don't think Kroll could find it. although, how would a school respond to that? imagine the rest of the app. is 100% correct and you just did not report one masters which you had for completely irrelevant reasons- I have seen instances (not in the US) where people do this for military or earning state grants etc. wonder if a top school takes action against some enrolled student for something like that-
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
I have job exp. in a nonprofit organization in a developing country. We didn't even have a website. How are they going to perform a background check?

I also don't want my employer to know I am leaving. I just don't have the courage to do tell them that, bec they might fire me on the spot. I am the Executive Assistant of the CEO here, and I told my boss I will just go to night school :(
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM