Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Part Time MBA program Vs Full Time MBA program [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies!

I actually did not know that they require you to work while your in a part time grad school. Thats very interesting. Having been working at my company for a good solid four years in Banking (retail management), I can only assume I can find some sort of work but then again I wouldnt know how the job market would be during that time.

Yeah, I guess if I want the brand to travel quite a bit, Boston College is the way to go!

Any other insight would be awesome! Thank you Gmat Clubbers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I am not 100% sure they require you to work, but based on the programs my friends attended they had to have a job at least when they enrolled.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
rgupta is right - a lot of part-time programs require you to have a job when you apply with the intent of working during your time in school but state that should you lose your job (or not work to due some other factor) you can stay in the program. The only thing you can't do is switch to the full-time program.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
I think this is important for you to know if you're considering a part-time/executive/fully employed program and looking to switch career paths. Not all career centers are built equally
https://www.businessweek.com/business-sc ... 32011.html

That said, yes like others mentioned the median gmat or gpa scores may be a little lower, but that's mainly because they are sampling from local applicants vs a nationwide or international pool. At reputable part-time programs, the diff between full-time and part-time stats may just be 20-30 points. (in our case 705 FT GMAT median vs 690 FEMBA GMAT median).

Certain programs you can might be able to slide by or they'll have different faculty that teach part time vs full time programs, but for others the grading criteria and class competition can be just as stiff as full time programs. Compound this with family and a full work schedule, and well... it doesn't feel so "part-time" any more.

Just speaking from personal experience, at Anderson we have the same faculty and same finals for our FEMBA program as the full-time program.

Here's some more info:
https://www.businessweek.com/business-sc ... 2011.html#

Best of luck with your decision, my big advice would be to talk to students and alumni of the programs you're looking to apply to. Don't just read school web sites or brochures, they don't always give you all the juicy details or dirt on the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
thisguy310 wrote:
I think this is important for you to know if you're considering a part-time/executive/fully employed program and looking to switch career paths. Not all career centers are built equally

That said, yes like others mentioned the median gmat or gpa scores may be a little lower, but that's mainly because they are sampling from local applicants vs a nationwide or international pool. At reputable part-time programs, the diff between full-time and part-time stats may just be 20-30 points. (in our case 705 FT GMAT median vs 690 FEMBA GMAT median).

Certain programs you can might be able to slide by or they'll have different faculty that teach part time vs full time programs, but for others the grading criteria and class competition can be just as stiff as full time programs. Compound this with family and a full work schedule, and well... it doesn't feel so "part-time" any more.

Just speaking from personal experience, at Anderson we have the same faculty and same finals for our FEMBA program as the full-time program.

Here's some more info:

Best of luck with your decision, my big advice would be to talk to students and alumni of the programs you're looking to apply to. Don't just read school web sites or brochures, they don't always give you all the juicy details or dirt on the school.

thisguy310 hit is on the nose, but to add to his post:

If you are unemployed I would push you to go full time, especially if you want to go in the next year or two. It is hard to get into a company, understand what they're about, and move up to a position where one they will fully support you (Not financially) through a part time/executive program and secondly you'll be able to apply what you're learning (That is one of the big bonuses of part time /executive programs)

The barriers to entry with regard to testing/grades etc. are a little bit lower, but if you're applying to a well ranked EMBA or part time program, the people you will be in class with will have A LOT more experience (In a good program) than they would in a full time program. So while some aspects are easier, others are more challenging; it is a little humbling when you're at an open house and your only a middle manager and you're talking with Directors, VP's, Start-Up owners etc. You'll see that the weekend EMBA programs will have a larger geography associated with them (i.e. people fly in b/c classes are every other weekend), but evening weekly programs will be more centralized around the area of the school (i.e. smaller applicant pool)

If you're planning on changing careers / industries be careful about a part time / EMBA program, you don't get a chance for internships or full immersion into the B-School life like you will in full time. This is good if you plan to stay in your current industry, you can keep chugging along on career development and moving up while in the program w/o missing a beat, where you couldn't in a full time program.

And again as thisguy310 said above, DO YOUR RESEARCH on programs and professors. You don't want to end up in a half rate program that uses all adjunct professors for their part time / EMBA programs. And you want to make sure you mesh well with the people and type of curriculum (Case, lecture, etc.). Believe me you'll know when you don't mesh with a program (You figure this out by going to a bunch of open houses and finding people who have completed the programs)

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
phyandrew wrote:
thisguy310 wrote:

Here's some more info:

thisguy310 hit is on the nose, but to add to his post:

If you are unemployed I would push you to go full time, especially if you want to go in the next year or two. It is hard to get into a company, understand what they're about, and move up to a position where one they will fully support you (Not financially) through a part time/executive program and secondly you'll be able to apply what you're learning (That is one of the big bonuses of part time /executive programs)

The barriers to entry with regard to testing/grades etc. are a little bit lower, but if you're applying to a well ranked EMBA or part time program, the people you will be in class with will have A LOT more experience (In a good program) than they would in a full time program. So while some aspects are easier, others are more challenging; it is a little humbling when you're at an open house and your only a middle manager and you're talking with Directors, VP's, Start-Up owners etc. You'll see that the weekend EMBA programs will have a larger geography associated with them (i.e. people fly in b/c classes are every other weekend), but evening weekly programs will be more centralized around the area of the school (i.e. smaller applicant pool)

If you're planning on changing careers / industries be careful about a part time / EMBA program, you don't get a chance for internships or full immersion into the B-School life like you will in full time. This is good if you plan to stay in your current industry, you can keep chugging along on career development and moving up while in the program w/o missing a beat, where you couldn't in a full time program.

And again as thisguy310 said above, DO YOUR RESEARCH on programs and professors. You don't want to end up in a half rate program that uses all adjunct professors for their part time / EMBA programs. And you want to make sure you mesh well with the people and type of curriculum (Case, lecture, etc.). Believe me you'll know when you don't mesh with a program (You figure this out by going to a bunch of open houses and finding people who have completed the programs)

Hope this helps!

One more thing, a good program will require you to have a job, and official corporate support (Written letter from your company); UNC and Duke both require this.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
I would make sure you goto the best part-time MBA program you can get into. Besides probably Booth.

Ensure they let you use the career services, like Ross.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jeffelite wrote:
I would make sure you goto the best part-time MBA program you can get into. Besides probably Booth.

Totally agree with both points

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Send PM
Why did you say "besides Booth"?
Booth part-time is not good?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Jeffelite wrote:

Same question - why do you say "besides Booth"? I was thinking about the weekend MBA at Booth - can you please shed any lights on any information that you think might be worth considering?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
To add a little more info, the Berkeley EWMBA program does have internship opportunities available for people who want to move into IB or Consulting roles. While you have a pretty much zero chance of getting into PE/VC without prior experience, many people do make the career switch into other diciplines. Also, if you do get an internship while in the PT program, you will be required to quit your job (this is the case at Berkeley). The internship takes place between your second and third year.

To reinforce what some of the other posters have stated, while the admissions requirements at top PT programs statistically speaking are lower (GMAT, GPA, selectivity), the work experience and job responsibilities/titles of the students will on average be significatly higher than students in a full-time program. As another poster stated, you'll be in school with lawyers, doctors, mid to high-level managers, and entreprenuers. The main difference will be that the majority of students in the PT program will be local to the area.

One thing I don't see in your post is your age. If you're going to matriculate when you're under 30, seriously look into a FT program. Over 30, PT is probably the way to go. It really just depends on where you're at in your career and if you plan to make a career switch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Foster '15
GMAT Date: 04-13-2013
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Going to revive this thread.

I'm applying to a local part-time MBA program, and I'm a bit concerned about my GMAT score. I plan to take the GMAT in about one month, and I'm just afraid that the score may not be enough to meet the average score for the school. On every other aspect, I feel like an ideal candidate. I have the GPA, the work experience, the fit for the program, etc. Should I worry so much about being about 50 points below the average test score? My wife is in their full-time program, so I'm very familiar with their curriculum. I feel I'd be able to handle the course load and classes with no problems. Thoughts?

MN
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Yes, part-time programs are easier to get into, but they really serve a different purpose than full-time programs. If you're interested in switching careers, I would caution you against going to business school part-time. The beauty of the full-time program is that you get the chance to try out the new career during your internship, plus you have full access to the career management office, which oftentimes cannot be said for part-time students.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
First time poster on GMAT Club, if my post is long winded...I apologize in advance. I’ve been looking at a few schools for an MBA in Marketing. All part-time and local to NJ. I really like what the Rutgers Part-Time MBA program in Marketing has to offer. I read through the prior posts but wanted to garner some opinions on my "competitiveness."

Background: Graduated in 2007 with degree in Marketing from a top 25 Undergraduate Business school (at least according to Bloomberg Business), GPA was a 3.09. I have been working in the high-tech/telecommunications industry since June of 2007, in various sales & marketing capacities. I have extensive experience working in teams and as the team lead in the majority of my past and current positions. I also work as a marketing consultant for a small software development company. I feel like I have solid essays and recommendations.

The only weak area I can influence now is my GRE score. I’m looking to take the GRE again in a few weeks to try and boost my first score which was a 299 – 153Q, 146V (530 scaled GMAT). I’m shooting for a 307-309 (scaled GMAT 580-600) on round 2. What is the general felling on the 530 as it stands with my previous work experience, undergrad, etc as “competitive” for Part-Time admission to Rutgers MBA program?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
If it is your first MBA, do it full time.

If you want the interactions, atmosphere, the learning experience, then go for Full time

If you want a certificate and some promotion/pay hike, anything will do.

If you desperately want to change domain or function, a full time may provide more option than a comparatively part time course.

If fees is a issue, part time are generally cheaper.

If your finance is shaky and you need income during your study, a part time is the better option.

And there are so many similar if-else
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi, thank you for the insight. Unfortunately, I can’t enroll in a Full-Time program for a variety of reasons, inclusive of but not limited to; paying the mortgage, feeding the kid and dog, loans, etc. I appreciate the reply and opinion on the various programs but your response does not address my question of “competitiveness.”
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
If you want the interactions, atmosphere, the learning experience, then go for Full time

If current work was flexible enough (could take 1 weekday off, set me own hours), would it be possible to get the full time experience (interactions, atmosphere, the learning experience) with a part time MBA? If so, what steps should be taken?

TIA
GMAT Club Bot