Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here is a link to the PT MBA rankings from Forbes.com (Don't how it Ranks the programs...but FYI)

https://msnbc.msn.com/id/9006844

1. New York Univ. (Stern)
2. UCLA (Anderson)
3. Norwestern (Kellogg)
4. Chicago Univ.
5. Univ. of Michagan (Ross)
6. Univ. of Minnesota (Carlson)
7. Univ. of Maryland (Smith)
8. Carnegie Mellon Univ. (Tepper)
9. Fordham Univ.
10. Southern Methodist Univ. (Cox)
11. Washington Univ.-St. Louis (Olin)
12. Wake Forest Univ. (Babcock)
13. USC (Marshall)
14. Rollins College (Crummer)
15. Boston College (Carroll)
16. UC Davis
17. Georgia State (Robinson)
18. Michigan State (Broad)
19. Pepperdine (Graziadio)
20. Univ. of Denver (Daniels)
21. Univ. of Iowa (Tippie)
22. SUNY Buffalo
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
giddi77 wrote:
Here is a link to the PT MBA rankings from Forbes.com (Don't how it Ranks the programs...but FYI)

2. UCLA (Anderson)
3. Norwestern (Kellogg)
4. Chicago Univ.
9. Fordham Univ.
13. USC (Marshall)
16. UC Davis
22. SUNY Buffalo

Wow...does not even list Kelley School of Business :-( But I don't have a choice...Purdue does not offer a part-time program and I cannot re-locate and don't want to do any 'distance' learning....
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As I you already know, the Kelley PT program is in downtown Indianapolis while the FT program is in Bloomington. The two programs appear to have distinct faculty although it does appear that students can transfer from the PT to the FT program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

That list is pretty disturbing! Haas (UC Berkley) PT program is also not mentioned.

I don't understand how the rankings can be so different. Most school mention that the coursework and the faculty is the same, so does anyone know where the difference come from?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Kudos
giddi77 wrote:

2. UCLA (Anderson)
3. Norwestern (Kellogg)
4. Chicago Univ.
9. Fordham Univ.
13. USC (Marshall)
16. UC Davis
22. SUNY Buffalo

Thanks a lot .. but I think from ROI point of view , the list would change significantly. Specially , Stern , Booth are so costly considering that there are practically no employment opportunities out of graduation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Re: [#permalink]
thisiszico2006 wrote:
Thanks a lot .. but I think from ROI point of view , the list would change significantly. Specially , Stern , Booth are so costly considering that there are practically no employment opportunities out of graduation.

I'm not considering NYU or Chicago, but at least from what I understand, NYU does not put PT MBA students' resumes in with FT students, so is that the same with Chicago? If this is the case, then any student who goes to these schools basically is doing it for a job promotion at the same company and not much more.

Every school I've looked at (Georgetown, UMD, GW, American) will put PT MBA resumes with FT students' and there is more career counseling from what I've seen.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools: University of Rochester (Simon) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Ranking for PartTime MBA programs [#permalink]
Can someone please tell me why there is a differentiation between part time and full time MBA rankings ?

I am currently enrolled in part-time MBA at Simon School of Business (Univ of Rochester), but I am taking the same exact classes a FT would take, so why the ranking ? I am learning the same material.

No idea how Forbes ranked SUNY Buffalo 22 and not even rank U of R.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
omar72787 wrote:
Can someone please tell me why there is a differentiation between part time and full time MBA rankings ?

I am currently enrolled in part-time MBA at Simon School of Business (Univ of Rochester), but I am taking the same exact classes a FT would take, so why the ranking ? I am learning the same material.

No idea how Forbes ranked SUNY Buffalo 22 and not even rank U of R.

In short, some schools don't submit their data to the publications and therefore don't get ranked.

PT rankings differ from FT because students generally are trying to advance in the same line of work, and many FT's want to change careers completely. Second, peers and maybe local employers could have more influence on the rankings as well. But I still look at the FT ranking because the bulk of any B school's rep depends on that ranking.

After all, in Washington DC, US News and Forbes ranked Maryland ahead of Georgetown for PT MBA and prob in large part because UMD has an established PT MBA reputation while G-Town's PT MBA is a new concept (less than 10 years old). But the avg GMAT at G-Town is much higher than UMD, and the FT ranking at G-Town is higher than UMD as well. FT students either way have different career goals than PT students, generally speaking.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am a licensed (P.E) Electrical Engineer with 6 years of experience . First of all is MBA worth anything in this economy?
I have been to accepted to part-time MBA program at Belk School of Buisness- University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Wake Forest University Saturday program in Charlotte. Classes for both the program will be held in uptown Charlotte, so its the same commute regardless. The cost for UNC-Charlotte - Belk school is about $30,000 for the entire thing. The cost for Wake Forest including everything is $60,000. It seems like Wake Forest has better ranking than Belk but the cost of MBA at Wake forest is twice the cost of MBA at UNC-Charlotte.

Please advise.

Originally posted by Sunny198119 on 12 Dec 2011, 13:36.
Last edited by Sunny198119 on 23 Dec 2011, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I think it depends.

If you intend on staying at your current job for the foreseeable future, and you want minimal student debt (fewer employers will sponsor students today than in the past), then maybe UNC-Charlotte is a good choice. Since you are a North Carolininan (I assume you are), that would make things easier on the budget. Doesn't look like the stats of either program are terribly different for the PT programs so I think the peers at both schools will be similar in class.

If you have considerable thoughts on moving outside the region (though you may stay working in the same line of work), or you want the pride of having a more prestigious name on your diploma, then I'd go to Wake, and that is even considering the private school price. Wake Forest University is an overall better school than UNC-Charlotte (business aside) and it is therefore a more noticeable name nationally (though ACC sports help raise the profile too). I would think that the full time Wake b-school program is also more prestigious but then you should consider that your program at Wake (if you go there) is still 100 miles away from the main campus so you may not get the same faculty, while I assume that you certainly will get the full time faculty at UNC-Charlotte.

The third thing I'd say is that you should see how the school culture is at both schools. You may feel that you fit in better at one school better than the other.

It is ultimately up to you, but these are things I'd consider before making a final decision on any school, and to a lesser extent these were the things I looked at before going to college, though parents had a much larger say then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
As I you already know, the Kelley PT program is in downtown Indianapolis while the FT program is in Bloomington. The two programs appear to have distinct faculty although it does appear that students can transfer from the PT to the FT program.

As far as I know, Kelley PT students CANNOT transfer to the FT program at Bloomington. And yes, they do have a separate set of faculties. Also, note that Kelley PT does not offer career services. However, they do allow students to take part in the recruitment season at Bloomington.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
NYU is great but seems odd to see it at the top - I mean, when you graduate, its same as full-time on the resume.
I suspect NY's HCOL leads to higher salaries offering better post-MBA salaries, boosting whatever scoring the ranking has.
GMAT Club Bot