Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [2]
Send PM
Re: Too Old to gain Admittance? Chances, anyone? [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear Littlefauss,

Best Wishes for your new life. And yes, I remember you very well.

Just to introduce myself to our young club members, some of us (including Praetorian) had a cute idea of starting a forum for PhD entrance. It is now so active and with tons of good advice.

I have now completed my PhD (in 4 years), and landed a tenure track job at a bigshot university.

To answer the core question of this thread, after completion - No, it is not too old anytime, but very difficult to get placements at some universities where recruiters are 10 years younger than you. But all in all, the original advice stays - if your heart is in it, go for it !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Sameer, Tkkoh,

Thanks for the congrats from both of you.

Congrats to you as well, Sameer. Four years is quite an accomplishment--certainly puts you on the tail of the normal distribution curve. Congrats on the job also. Big Shot U. That sounds nice!

LF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm encouraged to see that so many applicants are in 40s like me. I hope I'll have my luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
This thread is encouraging. I expect that some programs are less friendly to older students. On the other hand, some of us who are older may bring contacts and experience that will lead to research topics or even access to data. If a program only wants 20 somethings... I guess I won't get to go there, lol.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I'm an "older" guy who stumbled on this forum by accident. I can't believe the age bias in favour of youth; that's ridiculous. I would have hoped that being older was a big advantage: more life experience, more maturity, etc.

Some of the comments from younger folks here could across as very immature. The arrogance of youth, perhaps ...

I'm not interested in a PhD, because I'm very happy with my career. However, I wanted to cheer on the older folks who are interested in pursuing their education. Good for you - a big thumbs up from me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GRE 1: Q800 V750
Send PM
Even in my postgrad days I had a bunch of older guys and girls studying with me. And in fact they usually tend to do better than us in some ways because of the higher maturity and experience as well as a greater commitement( they only do it because they want to, for the rest of us it is sometimes just part of the process of education and/or getting employed).
There were a couple of issues too, as in a lot of them did not really recall much of their previous studies and some had a hard time giving exams.
All said and done, no university will ever refuse anyone only on age related grounds. And personally we loved a mix of people from all ages ( and one my best buddies was a 55 year old guy with whom I went biking along the Pacific Coast ).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I finished a PhD in Finance two years ago from a descent Canadian university. I ended up in a teaching school for several reasons including a very bad year and not being from a top school. I’m seriously thinking of enrolling into a PhD program in Financial Accounting in a top US school. I always loved accounting, and a major part of my research overlaps with some of the hottest topic in financial accounting (actually I have published in CAR, one of top 5 accounting journal). My biggest problem is that I’m 38 years old and with virtually no practical experience in accounting!! I’m really worried that top schools will not take me seriously.
What are my chances considering that:
- I hold a PhD in Finance from a Canadian school (AACSB & EQUIS accreditation, # 1 MBA in Canada and # 1 MBA outside the US, etc…).
- I’m very research active: Over 15 journal publications, some of them in top ranked journals: Contemporary Accounting Research (now is a top FT 45), Journal of Business Ethics (a FT 45 journal), Financial Management (a top 10 finance journal), etc…
- I held the best and most lucrative scholarships offered by my former university and also by the Canadian governance. Now my research is funded by grants from the Canadian government.
- I was a visiting scholar at NYU, and visiting research at INSEAD.
- My ultimate goal is to become an accounting faculty in a top ranked BS school and to remain very research active (i.e. publication in top journals).
I’m very persistent and hard working person. However, I feel that my age can hamper my goal to get into a top ranked PhD program in the U.S. Am I right? Do you know of any top school that accepts “old” candidate? What should I work on to improve my chances?
Thanks a million.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Hugo: Infante
Schools: Ipade - Class of 2004
GMAT Date: 06-08-2013
GPA: 3.36
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Any new comment ? I am 42 MBA in 2004 from latam university and executive career. Now i want o change my career. I was professor of finance so i like academia. Wanted to know your feedbak because i saw you all talking since 2005 ? What happened to you? Hugo

tkkoh wrote:
littlefauss wrote:
For anyone who cares or remembers me:

Three long years have gone by since I first posted this thread. A lot of things have happened. I never did apply for a PhD program.

However, after five years of adjuncting for beans, watching my bank account go from black to red, shooting out 100 vitaes, constant networking, attending an academic conference to present research when I was so strapped for cash I slept in the back of the car rather than in the hotel with the other attendees, my JD/MBA finally landed me a tenure track job in AACSB business academia at a fair-sized state university. I start this fall (08).

A position in academia at such a school is the primary reason I was interested in a PhD--really, the only reason. So things took care of themselves. I may one day advance my education and get a second doctorate--the real kind--but for now I'm just glad that I got where I dreamed.

Thanks to all for their advice, I hope all of you who were here 2 - 3 years ago got into PhD programs, perhaps we may meet in academia.

Best to you all.

LF

Congrats! I'm glad that things worked out for you...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
jaypalm wrote:
For littlefauss and any other "greybeards" interested in pursuing a business PhD later in life, I'm happy to report that I was accepted at one of the 6 b-schools that I applied to for (M)IS, and I'll be starting there in the fall. The university does not have a USN/BW ranked MBA program, but it does place in the top 75 in the UTD research rankings. There are several other factors that make it a good fit for me, so I am very happy to be going there. I believe that I got very close with a top 25 school (2 interviews and a lot of other contact), and made a couple of other waitlists (top 50 or so schools).

Was age a factor in the 5 rejections? I still don't really know, although I'll share some impressions. First of all my stats, which are solid, but not outstanding:

Age 45, 20 years w/e covering all phases of systems development, native English speaking male, BA Math from large metro univ. (20 years ago) GPA 3.0, MS Info Systems from small regional school (just completing) GPA 4.0, GMAT 680 (42q 40v), GRE 730q 710v (I used GRE when I could), no academic publications (a few practitioner pubs), no academic research experience.

Nevertheless, these stats are not out of line with the posted profiles of any of the schools I applied to. I asked for feedback from the Top 25 school that interviewed me and was told that the final decision came down, primarily, to their assessment of my motivation to do high-level research. (I think that I can reasonably assume that this was at least one factor with the other schools also.) While I don't think that my age had a direct impact on their decision (a couple of the current students in this school were around 40), I do think that the burden of proof of motivation was probably higher for me. For example, one of the profs I talked with assumed my primary interest was teaching when my SOP was pretty much entirely about my motivation to do research (although I am interested in teaching). I think that some actual research that my recommenders could have talked about would have helped with this, but my current school is a teaching school and my current program is heavily practitioner-oriented (like an MBA). Ironically, both my recommenders have contacts at the school that accepted me (one is an alum), which certainly didn't hurt.

So, here are my impressions: 1) the older you are, the more you have to convince adcoms that you want to do research. Demonstrating that is better than telling. Also, the higher ranked the school is, the more they may want "young lions" who will crank vast quantities of high-quality publications throughout their careers. If you're not young, you have to at least convice them that you're a lion. 2) As others have said on this forum, it helps to take a look at the program web pages to see if they have any current older students. Also, I think the older the profs, the better. 3) Recommenders that resonate with the adcoms, either through reputation or affiliation, are very useful.

I'm hoping that this will be some encouragement to other oldsters who may be considering a career change to academia, but are concerned that they won't be accepted. It was very close (I didn’t get accepted until last week--I had pretty much given up), but I got in. The hard part begins in the fall. I'm really looking forward to it.

I am 42 applying for phd with an MBA from a Top global university in India after 20 years..is it likely that i will be considered favorably for admissions based on my quant capabilities, i expect to repeat a 750-800 on the GMAT (Q59, V 43 IR 10 AWA 6) but recommendations will be from contacts of 20 years ago, with last 5 years in self study and financial analysis business experiments

Undergraduate education is from one of the original IITs MBA GPA was 3.12 ( 3.9 aftr conversion) and BTech was 3.0 how do you think I should choose my schools

You are obviously thinking after reading this post that it is the GPA thats gonna be the problem..if that does work however, again which ones(advisors/colleges/research centers) are looking for old, mature students and are looking to be friendly. i want to go for at least 15 international applications to minimise the risk but is there something at the center of it all?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Sameer wrote:
Dear Littlefauss,

Best Wishes for your new life. And yes, I remember you very well.

Just to introduce myself to our young club members, some of us (including Praetorian) had a cute idea of starting a forum for PhD entrance. It is now so active and with tons of good advice.

I have now completed my PhD (in 4 years), and landed a tenure track job at a bigshot university.

To answer the core question of this thread, after completion - No, it is not too old anytime, but very difficult to get placements at some universities where recruiters are 10 years younger than you. But all in all, the original advice stays - if your heart is in it, go for it !!

Sameer,

I am 42 applying for phd with an MBA from a Top global university in India after 20 years..is it likely that i will be considered favorably for admissions based on my quant capabilities, i expect to repeat a 750-800 on the GMAT (Q59, V 43 IR 10 AWA 6) but recommendations will be from contacts of 20 years ago, with last 5 years in self study and financial analysis business experiments

Undergraduate education is from one of the original IITs MBA GPA was 3.12 ( 3.9 aftr conversion) and BTech was 3.0 how do you think I should choose my schools

Whats your take on it...PM me if you dont want to bother the others..)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [2]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
In accordance with Harvard University policy, Harvard Business School does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran status, or handicap in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs and activities.

It's never too soon to consider a career in academia—nor too late. The profile of today's doctoral students in business administration reflects a diverse cross section of society—virtually all life stages, professional experiences, nationalities, and economic and ethnic backgrounds are represented. The existing range of schools and programs offers a wealth of possibilities for those interested in finding a program that will closely match their individual needs.

We hope this is helpful, and invite you to explore the opportunities at our school. If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We wish you the best in your endeavors.

Best regards,

HBS Doctoral Programs Office
Harvard Business School
Doctoral Programs
Boston, MA 02163
www.hbs.edu/doctoral
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts