Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink]
I know I wouldn't use my car on a daily basis. I figured I would more than likely drive it on weekends if I wanted to go into Chicago to visit friends or do grocery shopping or take a road trip some place. However, monthly insurance, gas, oil changes, and maintenance can add up. I've just had a car for so long I can't imagine not having one at my disposal.

Do any students rent out houses?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:

One thing to know about renting houses is that there is a law in Evanston that no more than three unrelated people can live together. When I was in undergrad the law wasn't enforced so 6-10 people would rent out the houses, but they have started to enforce the laws in the past few years. Given how many people used to live together in houses, my guess is that they are probably prohibitively expensive for 2-3 students to rent out. Evanston isn't NY/LA/San Fran, but housing isn't cheap.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
tjdeluca wrote:
So do any admits want to start a rock band? I've played guitar for 20 yrs. I'm willing to play on weekends for beer and tips (gotta start getting back into that poor student mindset!)

There are a couple rock bands at Kellogg, so be sure to check them out if you matriculate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Can anyone provide insight on whether or not it's preferable to live in McManus? I wasn't sure if it's preferred over off-campus housing.

Also, in for DAK. My fiance and I are admits. Looking forward to it!
VP
VP
Send PM
I just booked a double room at the Hilton Orrington from Feb 9 - Feb 12 for DAK. If anyone wants to go in on the room with me, let me know. Happy Holidays!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: the parking issue. You wont need to park on campus as long as you live in the normal areas Kellogg students frequently reside. Many apartments/condos include parking, some charge more others its built into the rent so you are paying it no matter what. You can get by without a car, yes Whole Foods is expensive but it is still cheaper to shop there than to have a car with all the associated costs that come with it (payment, gas, insurance, maintenance). Some people do rent houses, mainly families who have multiple kids. There will be some classmates with 4 or 5 kids. However, the vast majority of folks go with condos/apartments.

McManus is a great option for single folks, that way you don't have to rent a place over the summer if you are moving for your internship. It is not as nice as some of the other buildings in town, but what you get for the money makes it the best deal available.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey guys. I will be coming to DAK - plan to arrive Thursday and Leave Sunday.
I'm planning on booking a room and wondered if you'd like to share?
Work in finance in London. Male 26.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hello all - congratulations to go with a Happy New Year! Considering I'll mostly be signing up, in a bit of a coma at this stage on how I am going to manage funding the next two years. Though I was really planning on attending, it's almost a certainty that I will not be able to make it to DAK. Pity though, I would have loved to have met everyone before classes start.

Skimming through the discussion so far... I'm from outside the US and single. I'd be grateful for suggestions on the practicality of buying a car and on decent places to rent without turning up for class with holes in both of my pockets. Gratitude in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys, congrats on the admit. Does any of you has the "nice problem" of being admitted to Kellogg and Booth? how are you handling the admit weekends? (are you choosing one or are you going to both?)
VP
VP
Send PM
blg529 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

One thing to know about renting houses is that there is a law in Evanston that no more than three unrelated people can live together. When I was in undergrad the law wasn't enforced so 6-10 people would rent out the houses, but they have started to enforce the laws in the past few years. Given how many people used to live together in houses, my guess is that they are probably prohibitively expensive for 2-3 students to rent out. Evanston isn't NY/LA/San Fran, but housing isn't cheap.

Hmm, that's an interesting law. I currently rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house in the Philadelphia area for $1800/month. I can't imagine a house in Evanston costing significantly more. If I could find 2 roommates that could be a cheap option on the rent front. However, utilities for a house can be sky high so that might offset any potential savings. I'm thinking that parking at a house would be free though.
Speaking of shared living spaces, for those of us coming Kellogg (or any school) alone does anyone plan on having a roommate? That's another thing I'm trying to decide. I live alone right now but I'm thinking of looking for a roommate to cut down on costs.
VP
VP
Send PM
meister wrote:
Hello all - congratulations to go with a Happy New Year! Considering I'll mostly be signing up, in a bit of a coma at this stage on how I am going to manage funding the next two years. Though I was really planning on attending, it's almost a certainty that I will not be able to make it to DAK. Pity though, I would have loved to have met everyone before classes start.

Skimming through the discussion so far... I'm from outside the US and single. I'd be grateful for suggestions on the practicality of buying a car and on decent places to rent without turning up for class with holes in both of my pockets. Gratitude in advance.

If you're looking to buy a car I would check craigslist. You should be able to find a decent vehicle that can get you from point A to point B. As for places to rent did you see the housing information on the DAK website. There are video tours of apartments in several popular places where students live.
VP
VP
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I just booked a double room at the Hilton Orrington from Feb 9 - Feb 12 for DAK. If anyone wants to go in on the room with me, let me know. Happy Holidays!

Roommate found!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone attending the Chicago area admissions reception on Thursday 12th?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
meister wrote:

If you're looking to buy a car I would check craigslist. You should be able to find a decent vehicle that can get you from point A to point B. As for places to rent did you see the housing information on the DAK website. There are video tours of apartments in several popular places where students live.

Thanks, just talked to several people who all advise against a car in general. What's the general vibe with all on this forum - McManus or off-campus housing?

Pardon my naivete - what is the current situation with financial aid for international students? Do all offered options require you to have a US citizen/Green Card Holder as a co-signer?

~ meister
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
adrianbr wrote:
Hey guys, congrats on the admit. Does any of you has the "nice problem" of being admitted to Kellogg and Booth? how are you handling the admit weekends? (are you choosing one or are you going to both?)

I am going to try to attend both. However, I'm not sure which one to go to on Friday since for both schools it sounds like Friday is the more substantial of the two (Saturday involves more "B-school life," housing, community, etc).

What are you going to do?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
spivey181 wrote:
adrianbr wrote:

I am going to try to attend both. However, I'm not sure which one to go to on Friday since for both schools it sounds like Friday is the more substantial of the two (Saturday involves more "B-school life," housing, community, etc).

What are you going to do?

I'm still not sure, I already have my flight ticket to Chicago and a hotel reservation downtown, however I'm not sure which one to go on Friday and which one to go on Saturday. I'm thinking Booth Friday and Kellogg Saturday...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I just gave Kellogg my $2K. Hope to see you all in the fall! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it out there until KWEST.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4