Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: New GMAT Section "Integrated Reasoning" Coming June 5, 2012 [#permalink]
If I need to prepare for this section, what books do I refer now?Any lead on that?If its a new section add on, none of the current books will have this section covered.....
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
There are no books yet. GMAC will release the new GMATPrep in March that includes the new integrated reasoning section.

Scoring will also be a new thing for GMAC once it is rolled out. Test score releases will be on the higher end of the time limit (20 biz days) until a more stable scoring algorithm is available.

See this year's Test Prep Summit for more info:

gmatclub-attends-2011-gmac-test-prep-summit-nyc-120877.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
All that I have read says that there are no study resources out for the integrated reasoning yet. To be released sometime early this year. That is why I'm planning on taking the test before the switchover.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I wonder how it will factor into the admission process because some people will not take the new section and others will take it. I am glad there are more business schools accepting the GRE (Columbia, Stanford, NYU, Dartmouth, University of Michigan, Yale, Cornell, University of Virginia, and University of Washington-St.Louis) because people need alternatives. We are already putting in 20-25 hours a week for the GMAT and adding a new section will COST us more money and time. The articles stated the GMAT is making the change to stay competitive with the GRE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I singed up to do it. You do it right after verbal and before you get your score. Obviously you're exhausted and you don't try as hard as you would. I liked the questions for the most part, and there is a verbal component similar to RC.

As an incentive, I get $20 back from my fee plus a chance of getting it all back.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
A few Q&A's that might help clear up your understanding of what will come in June.

Q: How does Integrated Reasoning affect your 800 score?

It doesn’t. You actually get a completely separate score for it – similar to the way you get a separate AWA score.

So your score transcript will show your 800 score, your AWA score, and your IR score.

Q: Will there be a calculator for the integrated reasoning section?

Yes. Unlike the quant section of the existing GMAT section, the integrated reasoning section will involve “weird” math.
I say weird, because you’ll be using a lot more realistic numbers. Rather than seeing nice round numbers, or nice decimals, you’l actually see things like

.738 billion

And you might have to divide that by 1.25%

On the regular Quant section, you wouldn’t see weird numbers like this. But the purpose of the IR section is to be more “real-world” realistic in terms of the numbers you’d actually use in business and in business school. So yes, you’ll see these kinds of numbers and may very well need to use the on-screen calculator.

Q: How much longer will the exam be?

Actually it’s going to be the same amount of time. But it’s going to take the place of the 2nd AWA essay. So total time of the exam is still the same. However, it’s going to be a lot more grueling because the amount of thinking involved to sort data, do calculatins, and think critically on the IR section will be a lot more than the amount of thinking that you would have done for just a simple essay.

We've created created solutions to sample Integrated Reasoning questions from GMAC for their new GMAT exam.

For more info...

Watch video solutions to GMAC sampleIntegrated Reasoning questions.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
That's actually great to know that it will not affect the 800 point score. It makes me much more comfortable and less worried about taking the test in may or in june.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Ahhhh! This is getting clear to me now. So as I understand, we will be able to use on screen calculator....this kind of calculations will never end otherwise. Its implemented 5th June onwards right? What will be the possible challenges to this section.... (apart from calculations factor)? And on an average, how much prep time will this involve (ideally)?
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys,

Manhattan GMAT has put a ton of information together about the Next Generation GMAT and IR specifically. Check it out:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/ir.cfm

MGMAT will start incorporating IR into courses starting March 5th and later. We'll have a book with online question banks, IR integrated into our practice exams, and online IR workshops starting April 9th.

Best,
Matt
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thank you so much for this info. I have been wanting to know more about this since my test date preference is bordering around the time this new section is implemented. I will prepare like I am going to take the test on June 4th the latest.
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
Thank you so much for this info. I have been wanting to know more about this since my test date preference is bordering around the time this new section is implemented. I will prepare like I am going to take the test on June 4th the latest.

Just remember to book you appointment early! Those last time slots will most likely be very busy, and may even be booked out already. I have heard of people already booking 1 apt in May and another in early June (just in case) so that they can take a repeat test if necessary without the IR section. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Some very helpful information Matt.

GMATLA how early are we supposed to register for the exam? I was planning on taking it in May should I be registering now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Does anyone know if the GMAT, in its current format, will still be offered between June 1st and June 4th? If not, could someone please provide the last date upon which the GMAT will be offered in its current format? I am currently planning on taking the exam in mid-late April, assuming I can get those dates, and wish to be able to have another crack at it right before the format change, assuming I don't score the type of score that I am looking for. Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
GMATLA how early are we supposed to register for the exam? I was planning on taking it in May should I be registering now?

There is no specific time that you're "supposed" to sign up, but I would recommend that you atleast start thinking about a date, and research the GMAC website to see if your date is open. I would also see what times and days you're closest testing centers offer the test. If I were in your shoes, I would register for the test very soon. I'm the kind of person that works better under the gun, and like to have that date set up in stone. Especially since the new IR section is being added on June 5th, I think that the spots closer to that date are going to fill up quite quickly. And if you'd like a second chance at the test before that date, I would recommend that you actually reserve 2 spots, 30+ days apart just to be safe. Maybe May 1 and June 1 (assuming these are available)... something like that. This way you don't have to study for a whole new section while your prepping for the 2nd go at it, even if you second go is June 10 or something... just doesn't make sense to burden yourself like that. And if you kill the first test, then you can cancel the second and get $80 back (the small loss would be worth the piece of mind of having a booked out date to me)... or book that 2nd one closer to your 1st test date to see if spots are filling...

If your 100% that you want to take the GMAT, then I would book the date. Put your money where your mouth is, and make it happen. Good luck!
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cecilpaladin32 wrote:
Does anyone know if the GMAT, in its current format, will still be offered between June 1st and June 4th? If not, could someone please provide the last date upon which the GMAT will be offered in its current format? I am currently planning on taking the exam in mid-late April, assuming I can get those dates, and wish to be able to have another crack at it right before the format change, assuming I don't score the type of score that I am looking for. Thanks!

The Next Generation GMAT with IR launches on Tuesday, June 5th, 2012
The last day the current GMAT will be offered is Saturday, June 2nd, 2012.

Nothing will be offered June 3rd and 4th. If you want to test on June 1st or 2nd, you might want to try booking now, as spots will fill up quickly.

More info on everything IR here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/ir.cfm

Best,
Matt
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
@mmapplebeck: Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I will be taking the test in the middle of nowhere Upstate New York and am not too worried about slots being completely filled up, but will be extremely vigilant and book my second exam the day I take my first exam, if necessary.
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I will be taking the test in the middle of nowhere Upstate New York and am not too worried about slots being completely filled up, but will be extremely vigilant and book my second exam the day I take my first exam, if necessary.

PS. as much as you think spots won't fill up, people will start traveling for these spots if they need to. Don't underestimate the power of 30-50 extra hours of studying will push people to do. I would reserve a spot, or keep a close eye on them at the least. Maybe call the center, and see how many spots are open every week or so...

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2