Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Schools I should target ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mba05 wrote:
Dear Linda,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. They mean a lot to me.
I promise to go away after a few more questions !

I would like to switch to mgmt consulting (even corp finance if I can muster the courage).

But as an intl student (who needs a work visa) with extensive IT experience, my chances of securing a job at mgmt cons or financial services firm or anything unrelated to IT seem rather dismal.

Do people with my background generally get mgmt cons / finance jobs ?
Do you think I'm better of going to a school like CMU, UT, where I can have a plan B (get a tech job) in addition to taking a shot at the consults ?

Thats it. I'm done. No more questions :)

Thanks again.

you don't have to go away.

Some of the answer to your question will depend on the job market when you graduate. If the market is tight and US businesses need or want the background you bring to the table, then they will go to the trouble of helping you get a visa. If there are a lot of people looking for work, then the employers have no incentive to go to the extra trouble.

Assuming you are dealing with a slightly favorable market, yes it is possible to switch from IT consulting to management consulting. The key is to show the relevance of your previous experience. Obviously, the consulting part is relevant. And if you go into managment consulting for the IT industry, then your experience is also relevant. For more info, please see "MBA Admissions Advice for Career Changers."

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Schools I should target ? [#permalink]