Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Re: From 600(even after 3 months of hard work)to 720(in 20 days) [#permalink]
rg1 wrote:
Thanks for your sharing your experience. I'm exactly in the same position you were few days back- Q47, V25. Could you please answer following questions?

ray5677 wrote:
For verbal I started browsing the CR bible and solved Sentence correction problems only from GMAT prep question dumps. If I had doubts I used to find explanations only from reputed instructors (in my case I followed the MGMAT GMAT prep folder discussion). To my surprise I started recognizing the question pattern, my strength (the things I can improve), and my weakness (the things I can’t improve).

How did you keep track of patterns? Can you share 'your' way of keeping track of patterns especially the ones representing GMATPrep questions?

For SC I used an excel sheet to track similar kind of problems. For example these are few common trends that I have seen in GMAT prep problems:
1. While- indicates verb to be simultaneous,i.e. tense must agree and mostly they are used in wrong construction(not always but mostly)
2. Adverbs are prohibited between a verb and 'to; ;i.e. ask him to 'quickly' go: WRONG
3.If the answer choices have ';', there is a chance wrong answer choice will be sentence fragment OR Run on sentence. And almost always the ';' sentences are correct.
4. 'in order to','having been' etc are mostly redundant. Anything ending with 'ing' is tricky.
Remember these are patterns in case you are running short on time but not rules. And the second thing, if you are trying to find patterns always follow GMAT prep questions. Never( I repeat never) try to find these patters with randomly collected or even reputed prep center questions.

For CR:
You need to get the "feel". Just go over OG and prep problems. And you will find that pattern. I did not practice any new CR problem in last 15 days, just browsed the CR bible the day before exam. CR is the easiest to find the pattern.
For RC:
I didn't do any practice. Also I never took notes. Even if you are a non native speaker, comprehension should be your first priority. My experience says taking notes hinders that comprehension.

ray5677 wrote:
I planned to go faster on SC and save time for CRs and RCs. From day one I saw everyone concentrating on SCs, so I too thought SC is the single most important thing. But things worked out differently for me. I was solving SC great without time pressure but under that ticking clock SC was a mess for me. I decided if I have to get a question wrong then let me do that faster.
Quote:
Did you simply choose random answer to the question falling in your weakest area or make educated guess?
How to classify a problem solvable or unsolvable in 2 mins?
Did you follow any specific timing strategy for verbal?

This is tricky and subjective to some extent. I'll share my strategy but I suggest to work on your own strategy for time management. I used:
SC 1 min to 1:30 min on a question.The average was around 1:05 min.
CR 1:30 to 2:15(Max 2:45) ,average was 2:10
RC 3-4 mins to read short RCs and 2:30 mins to solve the questions,(So max 6:30 for short RCs). For long RCs 8 to 9 mins.

There are 5 quarters.
End of 1st quarter 8 questions(9 if getting lot of SCs)[My first quarter was not as productive as other quarters, I used to take some time to get into groove for verbal]
End of 2nd quarter:16 questions. So get another 7 -9 questions done( This is the part you are supposed to get your first RC):
End of 3rd quarter :25 questions
End of 4th quarter :34 questions
Last quarter: Just 7 questions. I always tried to keep time for the last quarter so I don't have to rush into things and get my score screwed unfairly.

And yes, I have made a lot of educated guesses(based on patterns) in SC in real exam. I slacked off in 3rd quarter and a bit on 4th quarter.I was left with 12 questions in last 17-18mins(Including one RC).
When I felt I don't know the rule(or logic) or can't decide between two choices after a premeditated time allotment, I used to move on. My idea was: I don't want to get wrong the questions I definitely know because of time shortage. Although I mismanaged time on G-Day, this strategy worked wonder for me. Even when I had shortage of time, I didn't jump around the last RC. I knew I had a strong hold on that. So patiently solved that and cut time in solving SCs. For last few SCs, I have spent an average of 45 sec.

Originally posted by ray5677 on 10 Jan 2012, 02:15.
Last edited by ray5677 on 10 Jan 2012, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Simba2012 wrote:
ray5677,
Congratulations on fantastic score and strategies! I have one question though, you said you solved gmatprep problems but did you do those problems prior to taking your gmatprep exam? if so, dint your scores inflate? because you must have solved gmatprep problems already?

If you really look around there are ginormous numbers of GMAT prep problems. So I was not able to solve 10% of them in last 10 days.I had around 2-3 questions that were repeated in GMAT prep. And I spent the same time on those known questions as I would have in case they were unknown(didn't want a leveraged time cushion). And knowing couple of question out of 41 doesn't make much difference. So the score was not inflated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Great debrief! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

congratulations on your score.

Would you say that the Quant (PS and DS) on the actual exam is harder than those on the OG (red book) but easier than those on the MGMT?

Also, I guess the GMATPrep would be the most reflective of the actual?

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your strategies, Ray. For me, I was never able to control the pace in the test because I couldn't implement educated guessing strategy. Without sacrificing couple of questions, it's difficult to complete the section in time and i'm yet to learn this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Congrates for your score
Great motivating story
Intern
Intern
Send PM
smellbelly wrote:
Hi,

congratulations on your score.

Would you say that the Quant (PS and DS) on the actual exam is harder than those on the OG (red book) but easier than those on the MGMT?

Also, I guess the GMATPrep would be the most reflective of the actual?

Thanks,

Yes, they were way tougher than OG. They were exactly like GMAT prep problems. MGMAT problems are sheer cumbersome with lot of calculation involved. Where as GMAT quant is tricky. If you know the trick/method, no GMAT problem, no matter how hard it is, should take more than 3 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your strategies, Ray. For me, I was never able to control the pace in the test because I couldn't implement educated guessing strategy. Without sacrificing couple of questions, it's difficult to complete the section in time and i'm yet to learn this.

I see your scores and I'm sorry that your efforts are not reflected on the score sheet. I would suggest a dramatic strategy change, doing something unthinkable. You can ask some help from fellow members or get a tutor. Someone else other than you can see what you are doing wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Ray.

I hope my test day experience will be similar to yours. I can't seem to concentrate in RCs (not sure why).

I have however, improved a lot from my first mock (1.5 months ago) till now:

MGMT1: 410
MGMT2: 430
MGMT3: 550
MGMT4: 580
MGMT5: 580
MGMT6: 630
GMATPrep1: 640
GMATPrep2: 610 (not sure what happened - I think it was because I wrote the mock at 12AM)

Quant has never been an issue for me (46 - 50) but for some strange reason, my verbal can never pass the 33 mark!!

Advice from anyone would be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Congratulations! I wish you get in the school you are interested.

Your story is lot motivating for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Hi Ray, congrats on the massive improvement. Could you please reflect back on what "list of gmat prep problems " you used to prepare for SC. Could you possibly attach that file. Thankyou :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
aisha12 wrote:
Hi Ray, congrats on the massive improvement. Could you please reflect back on what "list of gmat prep problems " you used to prepare for SC. Could you possibly attach that file. Thankyou :D

Here is the link, uploaded by whiplash: GPSC and GPOA. This is not exhaustive list.
If you need more go to MGMAT. Sort out the SC questions. I did not make any collection of questions since I was trying those prep problem in last few days before the test.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
thank you so much :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks a lot Ray - it was such an inspiring story and congratulations for this excellent feat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
"The GMAT prep software is the only standard comparable with real GMAT."

Hi Ray,

Congrats on your score!

From your quote above about the GMAT prep software, are you referring to the GMAT prep software by mba dot com?

I am also using the OG but since you reckon they are not GMAT standard, where can I get more GMAT standard material?

I am also using Kaplan by the way, any opinions on that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tunrayo wrote:
Quote:
"The GMAT prep software is the only standard comparable with real GMAT."

Hi Ray,

Congrats on your score!

From your quote above about the GMAT prep software, are you referring to the GMAT prep software by mba dot com?

I am also using the OG but since you reckon they are not GMAT standard, where can I get more GMAT standard material?

I am also using Kaplan by the way, any opinions on that?

Yes GMAT prep is from mba.com.

And just to be clear only the quant is not og standard. the verbal is pretty much the same in og or gmat prep. for extra quant practice you can find plenty of materials in this forum. Let me know you have anymore questions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi Ray,
Thats quite impressive. Congrats on your score. I have few qns, would be grateful ig you could answer them.
1. I am also using the GMATPrep Qns (the link you provided), my accuracy is 85% - 90% , But while taking the test the SC accuracy comes down to 60% - 65 %. From your post I could read that you also faced the same issue, Could you please tell me how did you overcome.
2. For CR also did you practiced the GMATPrep qns. ? If not than could you please explain your strategy on how did you approach the CR qns.

Also if you could please explain in detail your strategy for verbal: like was it ok to sacrifice some SC qns so that one gain time for the CR and RC . What was your approach.

Thanks, and waiting for your reply. Thats really a great improvement.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts