Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Private tutoring? [#permalink]
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Thanks for your reply Eli,

The problem is that we don't have proper course centers in my country (Kuwait), so I can only enroll in online, however if I enroll in online, if I can find proper timings, I'll be obliged to go through all the material all over again, which I don't want. I also have seen your advanced GMAT course on kaplan, do you think it would be helpful?

My pactice tests were as follows

kaplan (650, dont remember scales, i remember something in the 70% for math and english i think)

MGMAT (660 Q45, V35)

and actual GMAT a disappointing 600 (Q47, V26)

So I believe what I need is more of a customized course, since I'm already decent in Quant, so i need maybe like 90% focus on Verbal I guess, since I really underperformed comparing to my practice tests. (I'm hoping for a score of 690-720, which I believe I'm capable of, however I just need the proper guidance).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Private tutoring? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Albuloushi wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to ask you guys if private tutoring is worth it? I was thinking of getting a tutor, since I already am familiar with the GMAT, I got a score of 600 (Q47, V26), so i thought maybe it would be easier instead of joining a course, to get private tutoring, and just get it over with so I can improve my verbal, and slightly my quant. Any thoughts? or better solutions?

A score of 600+ is certainly suitable for private tutoring since you would want to focus on only those things which are not working for you. You may not want to sit through the entire course. But the split you have, Q-47 and V-26, doesn't support opting for private tutoring, in my opinion. The relevant Verbal theory is not too much. You can easily go through it using books and then practice lots of questions from these books.
If you want, you can take the services of a private tutor for a short duration - say a couple of hrs for CR, a couple for basics of SC and an hour for RC. Thereafter, you can practice on your own for a month and put together questions you have issues with. Then, you can take another 2 hrs of your tutor's time and use it to clear all your doubts. Some such set up might help you.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 12 Jan 2012, 10:05.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2022, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Albuloushi wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Thanks for your reply Eli,

The problem is that we don't have proper course centers in my country (Kuwait), so I can only enroll in online, however if I enroll in online, if I can find proper timings, I'll be obliged to go through all the material all over again, which I don't want. I also have seen your advanced GMAT course on kaplan, do you think it would be helpful?

My pactice tests were as follows

kaplan (650, dont remember scales, i remember something in the 70% for math and english i think)

MGMAT (660 Q45, V35)

and actual GMAT a disappointing 600 (Q47, V26)

So I believe what I need is more of a customized course, since I'm already decent in Quant, so i need maybe like 90% focus on Verbal I guess, since I really underperformed comparing to my practice tests. (I'm hoping for a score of 690-720, which I believe I'm capable of, however I just need the proper guidance).
Okay, in that case, it sounds like you're right. When students seriously underperform on Test Day compared to their practice tests, that can be a sign of a number of things--a one-on-one tutor can help you dissect exactly what went wrong, and how to avoid those pitfalls the next time around.

However, the Advanced course is definitely another option. Remember, for most schools, points are points. Even if you're really good at Quant, if the Advanced math topics can squeeze 10-20 points more into your math performance, that's 10-20 points less verbal you need to make your goal!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Albuloushi wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to ask you guys if private tutoring is worth it? I was thinking of getting a tutor, since I already am familiar with the GMAT, I got a score of 600 (Q47, V26), so i thought maybe it would be easier instead of joining a course, to get private tutoring, and just get it over with so I can improve my verbal, and slightly my quant. Any thoughts? or better solutions?

Hi
Have you managed a private tutor? If not, you can try the e-GMAT verbal Live course. It is undoubtedly a great course which can help to score well.
GMAT Club Bot