Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Management of Technology/ General Management
Schools:Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this really comes down to where you want to work afterwards - INSEAD has a great brand name abroad, but it's not that well known in the US outside of consulting/finance circles that keep close track of the MBA rankings.

If you're thinking about working in Europe, then INSEAD makes more sense for you.

Another few things to consider is

- US Visa issues. It is true that it is still tough to get a job in industry and not all companies will sponsor. The plus side for you that most companies in Operations and Supply Chain tend to sponsor so you may not find that to be as difficult as other internationals who are gunning for CPG Marketing, for instance

- 1Yr vs 2Yr - A 2 year program means internship opportunities which means a higher probability of switching both function and industry. This is much harder to do from one year programs such as INSEAD.

You have great options either way so you can't go wrong - I'll say focus on where you want to work first and make the decision from there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Wow congrats on both! Although a tough decision, you're definitely in a great place. A full scholarship to Ross is definitely hard to turn down. Maybe Ross can get you in touch with some alums with similar backgrounds in your target jobs for you to talk through this with someone who has been through this. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
tgrlil wrote:
Wow congrats on both! Although a tough decision, you're definitely in a great place. A full scholarship to Ross is definitely hard to turn down. Maybe Ross can get you in touch with some alums with similar backgrounds in your target jobs for you to talk through this with someone who has been through this. Good luck!

Originally posted by tgrlil on 17 Jan 2012, 07:46.
Last edited by tgrlil on 18 Jan 2012, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi guys,

before making suggestions like " I am leaning to Ross as well" please make some simple calculations.
The difference in cash flows is almost immaterial.
I have sent the author my calculations and he can assure that the difference is not so material.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
dude - take the ROSS offer hands down..

You are not from mainland China or anything, folks who have long visa waits and so. the european school would almost shut doors for you to come back to US. You have worked here and if you have liked it stateside so far, then take the ROSS offer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
PTK wrote:
Hi guys,

before making suggestions like " I am leaning to Ross as well" please make some simple calculations.
The difference in cash flows is almost immaterial.
I have sent the author my calculations and he can assure that the difference is not so material.

Although financial considerations do factor in, I doubt that's the determining factor in many people's "suggestions". There are many other reasons why one might choose Ross over INSEAD. Rest assured that the financial calculations are made by most.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IMHO, salary comparison (especially, averages between schools) is pointless:

Operations are paid worse than IB, but better than marketing. But if you like operations (or finance) in top schools you'll get access to more or less same companies.
Another factor that skews $$ statistcis completely is taxation. The US, EU, and Dubai/Russia tax rates convert the same salary into three absolutely different numbers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I would argue that INSEAD doesn't make a lot of sense for people who are looking for major shifts in their career - a staggering 65% of all graduates go into Consulting and Finance and this is partly a function of the 1yr year program which limits major shifts in career (Consulting and Finance tends to not care about prior experience and background over pure smartness).

That said, if you already have the background to get to your post-MBA job and won't need the time to "discover yourself" then INSEAD will be a better value proposition...although I personally enjoy the US life ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
woomba wrote:
I would argue that INSEAD doesn't make a lot of sense for people who are looking for major shifts in their career - a staggering 65% of all graduates go into Consulting and Finance and this is partly a function of the 1yr year program which limits major shifts in career (Consulting and Finance tends to not care about prior experience and background over pure smartness).

That said, if you already have the background to get to your post-MBA job and won't need the time to "discover yourself" then INSEAD will be a better value proposition...although I personally enjoy the US life ;)

---
~20% of students are company-sponsored, so those you need to substract from 65% of con/fin graduates. But that is true, two main employees of INSEAD students are C and F.
Also, I would heavily challenge your statement that F companies don't care about your previos experience.

Aside from a small number of very specific positions (PE, HF, Investment Management), most Finance positions are pretty willing to take people with little experience in finance as long as you have the drive and the technical knowledge (which you will learn in school). They're also surprisingly more networking oriented, so much of the recruiting process is going to corporate events and schmoozing with the recruiters and impressing them with your enthusiam.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Unlike that in the US and Europe, the income tax rate in Russia is 13% :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
If I were in your shoes, I would also go with Ross.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
PTK wrote:
Unlike that in the US and Europe, the income tax rate in Russia is 13% :)

In Bulgaria the income tax is 10% and in Dubai.. income tax does not exist [at least for foreigners]]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
If you want to work in the U.S and also involve yourself in extra curriculars while in school the extra year at Ross would give you more opportunity to travel on social treks as well as an opportunity for a summer operations internship. The full tuition scholarship plus lower cost of living in Ann Arbor makes the extra 1 year cost negligible. Comparing 1 year Insead tuition vs. 1 year forgone wages makes the finances quite equal, tipping the scales to Ross when adding Summer Internship money.

Congrats on the scholarship its a great opportunity.
GMAT Club Bot