Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
TheSenator wrote:
Darden wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
Has anyone on the Darden R1 Waitlist received any feedback on how they can strengthen their application and/or why they were waitlisted? Also I'm curious about the waitlist policy in general. In the message I got it said they may not inform you if you've gotten in until July!?!? Is this common?

Yes, one can get off the waitlist on the very last moment. But one can be admitted at any given time (or rejected off the waitlist) as well. It's tough, and one needs to show persistence. Some schools will let you know what their policy is and with others you will have to initiate. Don't be disencouraged, try to think what your weaknesses might be and try to address them. Try to initiate everything that might strengthen your candidacy. I'm sorry there isn't a specific advice since it's very subjective. Good luck! Oh, and there's no feedback given while on the waitlist.

I just wish the waitlist process was a bit more straightforward. Wharton has done a good job of keeping applicants informed of what's going on. As big of a decision as it is to go to b-school, it causes me to question the sincerity of the waitlist process if a school's unstated philosophy is not to keep you informed. Very frustrating for someone who has generally positive feelings about the institution.

What do you mean by "informed"? If you mean - ways in which you could strengthen your application, just think of it this way: the school looks for initiative and persistence, it wants you to come up with creative ideas. If you mean, dates in which they will inform you next, well, I think there are many possibilities so they can't commit. Even if other schools give you dates they can still keep you on the waitlist on the notification date and just give you another date... And I'm pretty sure no school gives a feedback while one is waitlisted. Bottom line, a lot of uncertainty but try to keep motivated, the list in Darden is usually small!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Darden wrote:
What do you mean by "informed"? If you mean - ways in which you could strengthen your application, just think of it this way: the school looks for initiative and persistence, it wants you to come up with creative ideas. If you mean, dates in which they will inform you next, well, I think there are many possibilities so they can't commit. Even if other schools give you dates they can still keep you on the waitlist on the notification date and just give you another date... And I'm pretty sure no school gives a feedback while one is waitlisted. Bottom line, a lot of uncertainty but try to keep motivated, the list in Darden is usually small!

Wharton sets a firm date of March 30th (which is reasonable) of when they will decide on your application, up or down. They also send updates every two weeks on where they are in the process and when students will expect to hear their fate. The also explicitly tell you NOT to submit anything else, do NOT reach out, etc. I wish Darden didn't just leave waitlisters twisting in the wind to wait until (possibly) July. Even a simple e-mail stating, we've begun reviewing waitlist applicants, would help. Is that too much to ask? Also, there are schools out there that include as part of their waitlist policy, 'if there is some change or something in your candidacy we should know about please inform us'.

Finally, and I failed to mention this before, I applied via the Consortium and to do date I don't know of a single Consortium candidate that was granted admission in Round One. I may be wrong, but the general sentiment was that we all got waitlisted so Darden could see what would come along in Round Two. If this proves to be true I think it's tough to argue against the fact it's a bit disingenuous, especially for those of us who were excited by the prospect of Darden as a potential school.

I'm not trying to argue and I think you provide a valid point about persistence but I'm asking for a simple communication that would take all of 15 minutes to draft a bulk e-mail. Again, I ask, is that too much to ask?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
^^ Completely agree!!

I'm on the waitlist of Kellogg and Booth as well and both schools have been WAY clearer with the dos & don'ts for waitlisted students.

Darden just dented its image in my eyes by making the waitlist a huge black box and not being upfront or clear with what waitlisted students can/should expect...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
TheSenator wrote:
Darden wrote:

Wharton sets a firm date of March 30th (which is reasonable) of when they will decide on your application, up or down. They also send updates every two weeks on where they are in the process and when students will expect to hear their fate. The also explicitly tell you NOT to submit anything else, do NOT reach out, etc. I wish Darden didn't just leave waitlisters twisting in the wind to wait until (possibly) July. Even a simple e-mail stating, we've begun reviewing waitlist applicants, would help. Is that too much to ask? Also, there are schools out there that include as part of their waitlist policy, 'if there is some change or something in your candidacy we should know about please inform us'.

Finally, and I failed to mention this before, I applied via the Consortium and to do date I don't know of a single Consortium candidate that was granted admission in Round One. I may be wrong, but the general sentiment was that we all got waitlisted so Darden could see what would come along in Round Two. If this proves to be true I think it's tough to argue against the fact it's a bit disingenuous, especially for those of us who were excited by the prospect of Darden as a potential school.

I'm not trying to argue and I think you provide a valid point about persistence but I'm asking for a simple communication that would take all of 15 minutes to draft a bulk e-mail. Again, I ask, is that too much to ask?

Some emails with updates do get sent out once in a while. Sometimes they narrow down the list and update what's going on etc. I'm on the student Admissions Committee so I'll pass the feedback along. In the meantime if someone wants to talk one on one about his/her specific situation you can send me a private message and I'll send my number. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Applied R2 and just got my interview invite. Any other R2ers get theirs yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
I just got my invite to interview! I'm very excited, I thought I'd have to wait much longer to hear back.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Damn, I got nothing...hopefully I get something soon...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Nothing here yet. I submitted the day the application was due. For those that have received invites, what was your timing regarding when you submitted?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:

It's literally been less than 10 minutes since I got my invite... I trust there are many more in the works!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:

It's literally been less than 10 minutes since I got my invite... I trust there are many more in the works!

Congrats and ATB LadyRoadWarrior & spacecurves.

Lets hope others (including me :) ) get invites soon as well.

Btw did your application status change after you received the invite ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I submitted 1 day before deadline.
App still shows submitted status, but my interview invite is on the app page as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Just got the invite email! (3:00 PM CT) Excited to visit Charlottesville! I submitted my app on Jan 10/11.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Consulting2Finance wrote:
Nothing here yet. I submitted the day the application was due. For those that have received invites, what was your timing regarding when you submitted?

I submitted the day before the deadline.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey guys, I had a question. In the apply home page, in the bottom left hand side, there is a "Apply Online" Section. THere you would find a line -
Program - MBA, Application Due Date - Round 3, April 4, 2012, (Application Submitted).

What is the value of the Application Due Date for you guys? One of my recommendations was a little late so I am a little afraid that my application went over to the 3rd round!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
Hey guys, I had a question. In the apply home page, in the bottom left hand side, there is a "Apply Online" Section. THere you would find a line -
Program - MBA, Application Due Date - Round 3, April 4, 2012, (Application Submitted).

What is the value of the Application Due Date for you guys? One of my recommendations was a little late so I am a little afraid that my application went over to the 3rd round!

You should be fine. I believe it just shows you the upcoming due dates. Since you have already submitted, you cannot submit again so it shows you the submitted status. I would confirm but I am in the same boat as you so my screen showing the same would be of now value :).

Congrats to everyone getting invites for R2 thus far and good luck with the interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
srjaidev wrote:

You should be fine. I believe it just shows you the upcoming due dates. Since you have already submitted, you cannot submit again so it shows you the submitted status. I would confirm but I am in the same boat as you so my screen showing the same would be of now value :).

Congrats to everyone getting invites for R2 thus far and good luck with the interview.

You should be fine. I submitted about 3 am the day it was due and my screen shows the same as yours. If you are truly concerned that your recommender missed the deadline and that will push you to round 3, it may be worth calling the Admissions office or sending an email, although they likely are very busy right now. If the letter was submitted only a few hours (or even days) late, I think you will be fine. I don't know Darden's policy but both HBS and Booth said they give a couple day grace period on the recs since they know they largely are out of the applicant's control. I would think that's industry norm.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:

they are ok with recommender being late by 1-2 days, they mentioned this in one of their admission chat.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts