Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.27
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

Had my interview yesterday.
It was with a 2nd year student.
The interviewer was very cool and the interview was highly conversational.
A slight variation from standard trend.
A few questions:
intro, questions from my profile/exp, career plans, why MBA, strengths,Any questions.

The interview lasted for about 50 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.61
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
In for round three...my final application. What a fun process this has been :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
K86 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have a consortium Skype interview in the next two weeks. First Skype interview so wish me luck. I will be sure to report back how it goes. Congrats to everyone that has been admitted so far!

K86 ,

When did you get the interview invite ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
MrTunes wrote:
No $$ here as of yet.

Same here. No $$. :(
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Any R3 In't Applicant got an invite for interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
2013 McCombs here willing to answer questions within my power.

That's a broad range of topics, but the questions I can't answer are about what your chances of admission or scholarship are.

I'd rather not get too personal with my own story, but I do have a job I plan on taking this summer. I can definitely answer questions more generally about the successes and frustrations of my fellow students (and there's a lot of success, these dudes are smart and accomplished) with the summer job getting process as well as academic, social, etc. questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
luffkin wrote:

That's a broad range of topics, but the questions I can't answer are about what your chances of admission or scholarship are.

I'd rather not get too personal with my own story, but I do have a job I plan on taking this summer. I can definitely answer questions more generally about the successes and frustrations of my fellow students (and there's a lot of success, these dudes are smart and accomplished) with the summer job getting process as well as academic, social, etc. questions.

Thanks for taking the time Luffkin.

My question is related to the MBA Investment Fund. How competitive is the application process to obtain a spot on the student-team that manages the fund? This program is something that really appeals to me about McCombs, so it would be a shame to enroll and then not land a spot on the team.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
luffkin wrote:

Thank you .

1) Are you an international student ?
How's the scene for international students in the summer placements ? Apart from just the statistics, hows the mood around the campus ? I understand this is very common question but more I learn from people like you the better for me before I come over to McCombs in July/August :)

2) How do you rate the academic study @ McCombs apart from the extra curricular stuff ? How rigorous is it ?

3) Some books to read before coming over to McCombs ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
mbain2012a wrote:
luffkin wrote:

Thanks for taking the time Luffkin.

My question is related to the MBA Investment Fund. How competitive is the application process to obtain a spot on the student-team that manages the fund? This program is something that really appeals to me about McCombs, so it would be a shame to enroll and then not land a spot on the team.

Competitive but not unreasonably so. The bigger thing is that it takes over your life if you want to make it in and then doubly so while doing it. The amount of work required winnows the field of serious people I think. of course I can't assure anyone will get it but if you have the right background, ability and a desire and willingness to make it THE thing you do, I think you stand a good chance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
inclinedplatform wrote:
luffkin wrote:

Thank you .

1) Are you an international student ?
How's the scene for international students in the summer placements ? Apart from just the statistics, hows the mood around the campus ? I understand this is very common question but more I learn from people like you the better for me before I come over to McCombs in July/August :)

2) How do you rate the academic study @ McCombs apart from the extra curricular stuff ? How rigorous is it ?

3) Some books to read before coming over to McCombs ?

1. I'm not international but of course have many international friends. Placement depends heavily on industry and location as well as sort of how well you integrate. But already there are plenty of classmates who have their summer jobs lined up as internationals.

2. This is a really tough question to answer. Unlike some places basically all our first semester classes are with the same people. That means a fashion designer is competing with a guy who finished his CFA basic finance class on a curve. If you're CFA guy that makes the class a breeze. If you're the fashion designer you need to take it very seriously to get good grades.

But that brings up another issue: how much do you care about your grades really? Those after consulting will need higher grades than say those who want brand management.

The thing is though that school can take a lot out of you from classes but it's all that stuff that surrounds it that makes it a time crunch: recruiting, all night case competitions, drinking... It takes a toll.

3. Depends on what you did before. If you've never done finance or accounting it sure couldn't hurt to make yourself acquainted with basic concepts. Those classes only go from August to October so there isn't much room for gradually getting it. The good thing is that people here love to help each other out in figuring out material. Not just will help, but actively want to help.

Otherwise read for fun become more interesting. Success in business school from my narrow experience is about connecting with people, be they your classmates or potential employers.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Send PM
Gawinsan - No invite for me. I'd guess later this week or next week. Fingers crossed.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Kudos
Update for those of us on the waitlist (at least those put on the waitlist in R1) - I got an e-mail this morning from the admissions committee with a link to a survey to fill out in order to share any new or relevant information.

The deadline for submission of the survey is Feb 10th and they state that you will have a new decision the week of Feb. 20th (whether it's admission, denial, or an offer to remain on the waitlist). Feb. 20th is also the R2 decision date so it's clear that whatever updates you offer will be compared to all R2 applicants.

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
backliteyes wrote:
Update for those of us on the waitlist (at least those put on the waitlist in R1) - I got an e-mail this morning from the admissions committee with a link to a survey to fill out in order to share any new or relevant information.

The deadline for submission of the survey is Feb 10th and they state that you will have a new decision the week of Feb. 20th (whether it's admission, denial, or an offer to remain on the waitlist). Feb. 20th is also the R2 decision date so it's clear that whatever updates you offer will be compared to all R2 applicants.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the information backliteyes. Do you or does anyone know what the survey questions are.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Kudos
Classof2014 wrote:
Do you or does anyone know what the survey questions are.

Questions:
- Are you still interested in being considered for admission to the Texas MBA? Y/N
- Please provide any updated information related to your candidacy that was not included in your application. Items to mention here may include job promotions or changes, updated test scores or any new information you feel should be considered. If there are no updates to your candidacy, please type "not applicable".
- A question that basically asked if there's anything else you'd like to tell the admissions committee (I missed the exact wording here - I accidentally submitted it because I thought there might be a space to upload documents like an unofficial GMAT score report, another recommendation, etc. on the next page, but there wasn't)

Once you push the forward button on the second page it submits the survey and just redirects you to the site for the MBA Full-Time program.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
backliteyes wrote:
Classof2014 wrote:
Do you or does anyone know what the survey questions are.

Questions:
- Are you still interested in being considered for admission to the Texas MBA? Y/N
- Please provide any updated information related to your candidacy that was not included in your application. Items to mention here may include job promotions or changes, updated test scores or any new information you feel should be considered. If there are no updates to your candidacy, please type "not applicable".
- A question that basically asked if there's anything else you'd like to tell the admissions committee (I missed the exact wording here - I submitted it because I thought there might be a space to upload documents like an unofficial GMAT score report, another recommendation, etc. on the next page, but there wasn't)

Thank you very much backliteyes, this is very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Hi everyone.

I recently had my skype interview with an admissions officer and it was actually a very great experience! If anyone has any questions about the interview, you are more than welcome to PM me. Good luck to everyone!!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
I interviewed on Thursday Feb 2 on-campus with a second year AdCom member. Pretty standard questions in line with what have been posted here before.
Before the formal questioning started, I clarified if the interviewer had any information about me. It was not a blind interview, interviewers have access to candidate's resume and profile. Anyways, on with the questions

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why MBA and why now
3. How would you contribute to the program
4. Behavioral question: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why
5. What do you do for fun
6. Any queries

Overall, the interview was laid back and relaxed. The interviewer did not try to make me uncomfortable or put me under any stress at any point.

Also, I went for a class visit and sat on a couple of classes with a first year student. The classes had plenty of good discussions with a healthy dose of humor so the mood was relaxed. All the students seemed to know each other -- McCombs is a small program but even then this is only the 2nd semester together for first year students. Also, all the students (1st and 2nd year) were super nice to me and made me feel as if I belonged there. Overall, I got really good vibes from the campus and the students. Now its time to wait for the result.

PM me if you want to know more about the interview or the campus visit.

Good luck everyone !
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts