Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1488 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1488 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Query - Performance on MGMAT tests [#permalink]
Thanks for the informative post. I had similar questions on how exactly to go about determining MGMAT practice test scores/data. I am about to get to the point where I will only start taking practice tests and re-reviewing problem areas only, and having a methodology to categorize and group things into certainly helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Hi All,
I have a query I have taken 2 MGMAT tests so far
the score on the 1st was 620 (Q42,V33)
the score on the second was 720 (Q44,V45)

the time gap between the two was 15 days

The major jumb was in verbal from 69 percentile to 99 percentile
Quant moved from 66 percentile to 74 percentile Is this uncommon - more or less a fluke?
Any suggestion or comments are welcome

A jump from V33 to V45 generally doesn't take place within a time frame of 15 days but it can happen. One reason could be difference in test conditions (as Stacey mentioned or say you were extremely tired during the first test but fresh and raring to go during the second)
But since you feel that the test conditions were the same for both the tests, it might have to do with what you did in the 15 days. Sometimes, even a lecture of 3 hrs can make a ton of difference (I have seen this often in CR - People are lost at the beginning of the lecture and by the end of it, everything seems to make sense). Perhaps you were not very familiar with certain question types during the first test and made a serious effort in the 15 days. This would mean that you were good in Verbal all along and just needed some conceptual understanding to get a high score. Mind you, it is all a speculation - one possible explanation for the fluctuation.
We will know for sure only after you take the third test!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Dear instructors,

could u please explain me what to do if on mock tests one sees the question seen before on various forums? this fact can artificially lift the one's score. how to avoid this,and have a 'real pic' ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
LalaB wrote:
Dear instructors,

could u please explain me what to do if on mock tests one sees the question seen before on various forums? this fact can artificially lift the one's score. how to avoid this,and have a 'real pic' ?

My suggestion would be to solve the question and get to the answer nevertheless. Take whatever time you need to arrive at the answer with your own calculations (even if you remember the answer).

There is no point in skipping the question because you know how to solve it. This means that if a similar questions comes in the test, you will know how to solve it. So there is no artificial score-boost that you are getting. It is knowledge that you have gained, no matter what the source is.

Also, there is no point in marking the answer right away and moving on (if you remember the answer) because you have to ensure that you can solve such a question with different numerical values under time constraints.

Anyway, since the test is adaptive, whatever you do, one or two such questions will not matter much.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's very hard to get an accurate score if you have seen many of the questions before. This is especially true on verbal, because working on a reading passage you've seen before is inherently easier than working on something new, even if you don't remember any of the answers. This is one good reason not to use online sources that use test material until you've actually taken those tests.

However, if you do see something familiar, try to answer whatever you honestly think you'd answer if you hadn't seen the problem before. Karishma is correct that if you know how to do that kind of problem in general, then you don't need to put the wrong answer in the name of accuracy. However, if there is some twist or trick that you don't feel you would recognize without prior knowledge, then be careful about using that knowledge on the question. The danger is that you will get pushed up into higher-score territory, and this might not accurately reflect your current GMAT ability. Just keep in mind that no matter what you do, you are not going to get a "real pic" if you are working with familiar material.
GMAT Club Bot