Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Re: Collection of work/rate problems? [#permalink]
Kudos
h2polo wrote:
15. working together at their constant rates , A and B can fill an empty tank to capacity in1/2 hr.what is the constant rate of pump B?
1) A's constant rate is 25LTS / min
2) the tanks capacity is 1200 lts.

From the original statement we know that:
1/A + 1/B = 1/(1/2)

From Statement 1 we can plug in and find B: SUFFICIENT

Statement 2 is completely unnecessary:

ANSWER: A. Statement 1 alone is sufficient

I don't think this is correct. We know that the rate of A and B = 1/30 of a tank per minute (given in the stem). If A had said that pump A fills X OF THE TANK per minute, then it'd be sufficient alone since A + B = rate of A + rate of B and can solve for rate of B given that we know A. However, this gives it to us in units other than what the stem gave us, so we need to know the tank's capacity. Statement 2 gives us the capacity, so if we use them in conjunction, we can solve the problem. Should be C, not A, IMO.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618785 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
brooksbrahs wrote:
h2polo wrote:
15. working together at their constant rates , A and B can fill an empty tank to capacity in1/2 hr.what is the constant rate of pump B?

1/A + 1/B = 1/(1/2)

I don't think this is correct. We know that the rate of A and B = 1/30 of a tank per minute (given in the stem). If A had said that pump A fills X OF THE TANK per minute, then it'd be sufficient alone since A + B = rate of A + rate of B and can solve for rate of B given that we know A. However, this gives it to us in units other than what the stem gave us, so we need to know the tank's capacity. Statement 2 gives us the capacity, so if we use them in conjunction, we can solve the problem. Should be C, not A, IMO.

Yes, the answer to this question is C not A.

Working together at their constant rates, A and B can fill an empty tank to capacity in 1/2 hours. What is the constant rate of pump B?

\(rate*time=job\).

We are told that \((A+B)*30=C\), where \(A\) is the rate of pump A in lts/min, \(B\) is the rate of pump B in lts/min and C is the capacity of the tank in liters.

Question: \(B=?\)

(1) A's constant rate is 25 LTS / min --> \(A=25\) --> \((25+B)*30=C\) --> clearly insufficient (two unknowns), if \(C=1200\), then \(B=15\) but of \(C=1500\), then \(B=25\).

(2) The tanks capacity is 1200 lts. --> \(C=1200\). \((A+B)*30=1200\) --> \(A+B=40\). Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) \(A=25\) and \(A+B=40\) --> \(B=15\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Discussed here: working-together-at-their-constant-rates-a-and-b-can-fill-97316.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
brooksbrahs wrote:
h2polo wrote:

1/A + 1/B = 1/(1/2)

Yes, the answer to this question is C not A.

Working together at their constant rates, A and B can fill an empty tank to capacity in 1/2 hours. What is the constant rate of pump B?

\(rate*time=job\).

We are told that \((A+B)*30=C\), where \(A\) is the rate of pump A in lts/min, \(B\) is the rate of pump B in lts/min and C is the capacity of the tank in liters.

Question: \(B=?\)

(1) A's constant rate is 25 LTS / min --> \(A=25\) --> \((25+B)*30=C\) --> clearly insufficient (two unknowns), if \(C=1200\), then \(B=15\) but of \(C=1500\), then \(B=25\).

(2) The tanks capacity is 1200 lts. --> \(C=1200\). \((A+B)*30=1200\) --> \(A+B=40\). Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) \(A=25\) and \(A+B=40\) --> \(B=15\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Discussed here: working-together-at-their-constant-rates-a-and-b-can-fill-97316.html

Thanks for the detailed answer, it was useful, but did my logic in my previous post make sense? I've found that for a lot of these data sufficiency questions, the best way to solve them is to figure out what the stem has given and what information needs to be found to solve it. From there, one can just analyze what the two statements give independently and then figure out if each or both together are sufficient together without necessarily solving it. Obviuosly, there will need to be calculation done to figure out what it's giving you, but I have noticed that I can save A LOT of time by not formally solving them and just conjecturing logically as to whether or not it's useful, particularly if I'm in a time crunch. Therefore, I just wanted to check if what I stated in my previous post made sense logically, because that's how I solved it and I want to make sure my method seems somewhat sound.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.81
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
I think B would be the correct answer.

Let machine y produce = Y bottles in 3 hrs ( rate = y/3 bottles/hr)
Let machine x produce = 2Y bottles in 4 hrs ( rate = 2y/4 = y/2 bottles/hr)

Total no of bottles produced by both x and y = 3Y.

So, time machine x takes to produce 3Y bottles is = 3Y/(Y/2) = 6hrs.

snipertrader wrote:
28.Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at
different constant rates. Machine X, operating alone
for 4 hours, filled part of a production lot; then
machine Y, operating alone for 3 hours, filled the rest
of this lot. How many hours would it have taken
machine X operating alone to fill the entire
production lot?

(1) Machine X produced 30 bottles per minute.
(2) Machine X produced twice as many bottles in 4hours as machine Y produced in 3 hours.

Ans C
With Statement 1 - we cant find out the total work
With Statement II - we can only express the speed of one machine in terms of the other

Both statements are needed for the complete picture
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
ks4gsb wrote:
I think B would be the correct answer.

Let machine y produce = Y bottles in 3 hrs ( rate = y/3 bottles/hr)
Let machine x produce = 2Y bottles in 4 hrs ( rate = 2y/4 = y/2 bottles/hr)

Total no of bottles produced by both x and y = 3Y.

So, time machine x takes to produce 3Y bottles is = 3Y/(Y/2) = 6hrs.

snipertrader wrote:
28.Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at
different constant rates. Machine X, operating alone
for 4 hours, filled part of a production lot; then
machine Y, operating alone for 3 hours, filled the rest
of this lot. How many hours would it have taken
machine X operating alone to fill the entire
production lot?

(1) Machine X produced 30 bottles per minute.
(2) Machine X produced twice as many bottles in 4hours as machine Y produced in 3 hours.

Ans C
With Statement 1 - we cant find out the total work
With Statement II - we can only express the speed of one machine in terms of the other

Both statements are needed for the complete picture

Yes, the answer to this question is B.

Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at different constant rates. Machine X, operating alone for 4 hours, filled part of a production lot; then Machine Y, operating alone for 3 hours, filled the rest of this lot. How many hours would it have taken Machine X operating alone to fill the entire production lot?

Let the rate of X be \(x\) bottle/hour and the rate of Y \(y\) bottle/hour.
Given: \(4x+3y=job\). Question: \(t_x=\frac{job}{rate}=\frac{job}{x}=?\)

(1) Machine X produced 30 bottles per minute --> \(x=30*60=1800\) bottle/hour, insufficient as we don't know how many bottles is in 1 lot (job).
(2) Machine X produced twice as many bottles in 4 hours as Machine Y produced in 3 hours --> \(4x=2*3y\), so \(3y=2x\) --> \(4x+3y=4x+2x=6x=job\) --> \(t_x=\frac{job}{rate}=\frac{job}{x}=\frac{6x}{x}=6\) hours. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Discussed here: machines-x-and-y-produced-identical-bottles-at-different-104208.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Hello,

Can I have the solution for 23 please? I am not sure if I understand the question to be honest though. Are we looking for the number of days that it would take Michael to finish the whole project seperately of after the 12 days that they have been working together? Or neither of the two..?

Thank you.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
pacifist85 wrote:
Hello,

Can I have the solution for 23 please? I am not sure if I understand the question to be honest though. Are we looking for the number of days that it would take Michael to finish the whole project seperately of after the 12 days that they have been working together? Or neither of the two..?

Thank you.

This question is discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/micheal-and-a ... 61136.html
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts