Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Mistake in reading comprehension in MGMAT ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Maybe better discussed in the RC forum?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here is what MGMAT has to say about it:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/rea ... 12786.html

Quote:
Hi, all

Let's see, a couple of questions upthread.

First, on the tone question, nonameee, I agree that you could make an argument for either answer A or answer B, although I think (if these questions were still on the GMAT), that they'd probably lean towards B on this one. As Sunil noted, the question asks for the author's opinion. The first paragraph provides evidence against the "life on Mars" theory and the second provides evidence for the theory. The author's opinion encompasses all of that data. The last sentence is the strongest one in favor of answer A, but the author merely says that the evidence "bolsters claims" (made by others, not the author).

Note: they've pretty much killed tone questions at this point, so really don't worry about it. :)

For the other question, it seems that you guys are referring to a question that isn't actually listed in any of the posts in this thread. We'd be happy to discuss - but do post the question. We have limited time on the forums, so we need to be able to answer in as streamlined a way as possible, and that requires the question text itself to be posted here. (Plus it helps other students to follow the discussion.) Thanks!

ManhattanGMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
It is funny because I as well made the mistakes on both question 1 and 5 of the same passage. I remember I agreed with MGMAT on the first question after a second look but was not sure about the later one.

The way I look at MGMAT problems is that they are not very good at matching the difficulty, or not to my way of thinking. To be more specific, given any chapter of MGMAT, I do a lot better in the OG questions than in MGMAT ones. Maybe MGMAT questions in the guides are intended to challenge you so by the time you move to the OG, the problems are a little easier. :wink:

So MGMAT problems are simply practice and do not look to much into it. Maybe their logic is a little different the GMACs, in the terms of creating actual questions/problems. However, I find MGMAT's guides amazing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have the 5th edition of this book but I thought I'd put in my $.02 since I stumbled upon this thread anyways in my own study adventures over a year since the original post. Hopefully someone else can find it useful!

I also got the first question wrong on this passage because I too thought the author was more optimistic than disinterested. After all, he or she ended the passage saying how "these findings substantially bolster claims that there was once life on Mars". I did think the author took a neutral/fact-based/unbiased tone overall, but there was no (seemingly) neutral answer choice. I though disinterest meant dislike or distaste for, but that's not necessarily true! I could be disinterested in ballet but not dislike it, and still be able to write a factual piece on the matter. I think the lesson we're supposed to get from this is to not infer or assume the author's personal stance given the amount of information for life on mars/against it (especially if you the reader were swayed into thinking there was life on Mars because of the information presented in the article). Also, in getting this problem wrong, I was reminded to check the passage for any words that would indicate some sort of personal stance and to interpret disinterest as without interest (in one side or the other).

I think question 5 as presented in the book is fair. The answer choice is E ("The claim that there was once water on Mars has only limited and indirect support from recent discoveries") because the passage DID present recent and direct discoveries as to why there was once water on Mars. It talked about geological evidence of past water activity in the second to last sentence. While deciding on this answer, I thought of how many pieces of evidence (to evaluate the word "limited" in the answer choice) were actually in favor of if life once existed on Mars and all evidence supports it. "Wind erosion or carbon dioxide oceans may be responsible for these formations" are all other POSSIBLE but not definite explanations. What if there were no CO oceans etc, then that would mean that there was actually just regular H2O oceans and the debate would be over. My point is- there is more than a limited amount of recent evidence, all of which you can infer from the passage. As for the dispute over answer choice B), it states that "it is LIKELY that there were few significant discoveries...", and the passage itself states "as early as the mid-17th century". The answer choice does not rule out completely by saying that there weren't ANY discoveries, and therefore isn't too extreme of an answer to rule out. If I said that I started playing soccer AS EARLY AS the mid 1990's, I would assume that I didn't play soccer in 1989.

I used POE for a lot of these questions and it really helps me dissect what I can and can't infer from these problems.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts