Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Vanderbilt Owen 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
aray23 wrote:
Got the package today. Was mailed on feb 1.

Posted from my mobile device

Heyyy! Thats great news! Any aid given???
I am still waiting to receive mine :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I would prefer not to give specifics on aid, but it was a non trivial 5 figure amount.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aray23 wrote:
I would prefer not to give specifics on aid, but it was a non trivial 5 figure amount.

Congrats on the great tuition assistanship!
Aray- When were you interviewed and when did you receive the affirmation call from adcom. I ask to get a sense on when should I be receiving my welcome packet? I was informed about the admission notice on Jan 19 but no welcome packet yet :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
LOL, of course it will be a five-figure amount. But I understand your concerns for privacy. I am guessing "non-trivial" to mean more than 50% of the tuition?

From Owen's website, it looks like the costs for 2yrs are the following:
$89k for tuition & required fees
$4k for health insurance

and my personal estimates of the following since Owen is not clear about it except for comparing how Nashville has a lower cost of living than other cities:
$24k for apartment for 20mos (Wesley place across the street is $1.2k/mo for 1 bedroom, $2.2k/mo for 2 bedroom)
$24k for food/utilities/car/insurance/cellphone/personal expenses for 20mos ($1.2k/mo)
=$141k, I would say $150k to be conservative (parking fees, laptop, books, traveling for competitions, treks, etc.)

I think Owen should list the total expenses like that instead of just stating the 1yr tuition cost and almost "hiding" the other fees such as 1) just stating the average rent for "Nashville" (which would mean drive-time and gas if you're living far away where rents are cheaper) and 2) hiding the health insurance cost deep in a PDF document on the university's Student Health website.

For example, Chicago's Booth School of Business clearly lists the TOTAL cost of attendance, which is about $176k for the 2yrs: https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... costs.aspx

Almost all the top schools list it like that. That way you know that (for Booth), if they give you $80k in "free money" (aid/scholarships/etc), that you'll still have to BORROW roughly $100k (at 7-8%) over the two years of your MBA. Of course this is not including the summer internship which MAY pay anywhere between $10k and $30k, so that'll help with some of the treks/excursions and other miscellaneous expenses over the 24mo period.

From my estimates, even if Owen gives me $50k, I'd still have to borrow roughly $70-100k, depending on how much income I earn during my summer internship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE:General Management (Law)
Send PM
joliemba wrote:
aray23 wrote:

Aray- When were you interviewed and when did you receive the affirmation call from adcom. I ask to get a sense on when should I be receiving my welcome packet? I was informed about the admission notice on Jan 19 but no welcome packet yet :(

Jolie, I got my package recently, I asked Courtney what was taking so long and she said the person who handles the packages had a medical emergency so it was being delegated out to other people and it took a little bit longer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sometimesitsnows01 wrote:
joliemba wrote:
aray23 wrote:

Jolie, I got my package recently, I asked Courtney what was taking so long and she said the person who handles the packages had a medical emergency so it was being delegated out to other people and it took a little bit longer.

Thanks for the update...so was it worth the wait :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Jolie, I got my package recently, I asked Courtney what was taking so long and she said the person who handles the packages had a medical emergency so it was being delegated out to other people and it took a little bit longer.[/quote]

Thanks for the update...so was it worth the wait :wink:[/quote]

Eh the aid was nothing to write home about.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Thanks for the update...so was it worth the wait :wink:[/quote]

Eh the aid was nothing to write home about.[/quote]

I received no aid :( :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
No! And I emailed Courtney my admissions person and haven't heard back from her, despite her prompt replies to other questions :(
I just need to know about the aid package.[/quote]

Hello, I will have a interview with courtney in Feb 16th. Could you share some tips with me? Thanks![/quote]

Just be straight with Courtney. I felt like showing her my personality was really the best thing I did in my interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
is the interview one-on-one if it is conducted on campus?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
No! And I emailed Courtney my admissions person and haven't heard back from her, despite her prompt replies to other questions :(
I just need to know about the aid package.

Hello, I will have a interview with courtney in Feb 16th. Could you share some tips with me? Thanks![/quote]

Just be straight with Courtney. I felt like showing her my personality was really the best thing I did in my interview.[/quote]

Thanks for your sharing! I sense your nice personality through your talking here. Hope to be classmates with you!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Any international round 3 applicants invited for interview yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
Hello Eveyone. Congratulations for getting selected to the Owen MBA. I have also been selected to the Owen MBA 2012 and will be joining the same. Just needed some information about the rents & all for Nashville. Will I ba able to get 1 BHK or a studio flat for less than $500 pm. How much will my monthly expenses increase if I bring my wife with me. I hope to live a very simple student life for 21 months & will try to cut down on all the expenses as much as possible. Are there any localities near to university which are reasonable. Kindly siggest the names as well. I dont think that I'll own a car while studying but it depends on the need.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
anshul4mba wrote:
Hello Eveyone. Congratulations for getting selected to the Owen MBA. I have also been selected to the Owen MBA 2012 and will be joining the same. Just needed some information about the rents & all for Nashville. Will I ba able to get 1 BHK or a studio flat for less than $500 pm. How much will my monthly expenses increase if I bring my wife with me. I hope to live a very simple student life for 21 months & will try to cut down on all the expenses as much as possible. Are there any localities near to university which are reasonable. Kindly siggest the names as well. I dont think that I'll own a car while studying but it depends on the need.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Hi Anshul,

Congratulations on the admit! As for the room requirement - I would suggest you go on https://apartmentselector.com/ and write to them with your requirements. They are quiet resourceful and all free. I am in touch with them too but plan to get more info on housing options when I visit Owen in April and I will look around for a few properties as well on the same trip. So, I can share that info with you if you still haven't closed a deal :)
Now if you don't plan to buy a car, it will be difficult to get an apartment in your price range in Vandy's walking distance. Any and everything around $500/600 is 7-8 miles away from school. So, look for apartments which fall on the bus route. But having said that you will need to do your groceries , preferably from an Indian Store (Patel Brothers) so the distance to that needs to be considered as well!
Even if you spend bare minimum this what your monthly bills will be (approx) -
Rent - $500 (you are being too ambitious though)
Food - $ 400 (max for two people)
Rides- The bus is free for students, see if you could work out a grocery schedule around it
Electricity & Cable & Heat - $ 65- $100 (max)

But Truth be told - If you are getting your wife to Nashville, you would want to introduce her to the vibrant culture of Nashville. A meal here and a morsel there! You both will end up shopping on Black friday and Thankgiving sales and don't forget the India Cinema will not stop churning out surprises and blockbusters on the big screen. So you would want to catch a movie or two in year (even if you are not a Indian movie buff like me)! so do the maths yourself!

Hope this helps! See you on the campus!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dhruvvarma wrote:
Any international round 3 applicants invited for interview yet?

I got invi two weeks ago, and had an interview on tues this week via phone as I am an international applicant! Gd luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
Hi Anshul,

Congratulations on the admit! As for the room requirement - I would suggest you go on 'apartmentselector' and write to them with your requirements. They are quiet resourceful and all free. I am in touch with them too but plan to get more info on housing options when I visit Owen in April and I will look around for a few properties as well on the same trip. So, I can share that info with you if you still haven't closed a deal :)
Now if you don't plan to buy a car, it will be difficult to get an apartment in your price range in Vandy's walking distance. Any and everything around $500/600 is 7-8 miles away from school. So, look for apartments which fall on the bus route. But having said that you will need to do your groceries , preferably from an Indian Store (Patel Brothers) so the distance to that needs to be considered as well!
Even if you spend bare minimum this what your monthly bills will be (approx) -
Rent - $500 (you are being too ambitious though)
Food - $ 400 (max for two people)
Rides- The bus is free for students, see if you could work out a grocery schedule around it
Electricity & Cable & Heat - $ 65- $100 (max)

But Truth be told - If you are getting your wife to Nashville, you would want to introduce her to the vibrant culture of Nashville. A meal here and a morsel there! You both will end up shopping on Black friday and Thankgiving sales and don't forget the India Cinema will not stop churning out surprises and blockbusters on the big screen. So you would want to catch a movie or two in year (even if you are not a Indian movie buff like me)! so do the maths yourself!

Hope this helps! See you on the campus!
[/quote]

Hi Jolie,
Thanks a lot for all the information. It really helped. I have sent a mail to the 'apartmentselector' and I hope that they'll help me out on my search. Looking forward to meet you on the campus!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Has any Round 3 applicant got an admit yet :?: I was interviewed on 31st Jan. So was just curious to know when to expect an admit.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts