Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: UNC MAC Class of 2013 [#permalink]
Hi guys.

I still can't decide if I should attend UNC. The amount of money is a lot especially when you add up the living expenses they estimate over 80k. I was looking to get some insight into what your plans are post graduation and how UNC will help get you there instead of another school. Do you expect to be making six fugues within a few years of graduating? I don't really know what to expect, if I'm only making the 50-60k estimated graduate salary I don't think I can justify the costs. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Those are all really good questions. I wouldn't really put too much faith into that estimate. Below I have pasted their list of living expenses. Books and food are probably right but housing is definitely high. I have been looking at 2 bedroom apartments and they cost about $1000 a month with one bedrooms going for around $850. Travel is also exaggerated. Chapel Hill Transit offers free buses all over the town. These buses are very efficient, come often, and there is a GPS locator on each bus so that you know exactly when the next bus is arriving. That basically lowers your monthly living expenses from $2223 (excluding books) to about $1900. Overall with tuition it is still expensive for out of state students. Most of us are choosing UNC because of its excellent reputation as well as the success of the Career Services center. I have heard that the center is pushing employers to raise the salaries for their graduates so it may be closer to 60K upon graduation for people with little to no experience. If you want to work in the mid-Atlantic or Southeast I would encourage you to attend UNC.

I applied to UNC and UT-Austin and was accepted to both. I decided on UNC after discussions with current students, two current MAC Professors, and the head of Career Services. I also want to work in either North Carolina or Atlanta after the program. I would encourage you to reach out to the faculty and staff of the program and ask them questions. They will be very honest with you.

Good luck and hope to see you in May.

Books N/A $258 $1,600
Food $439 $1,298 $3,950
Health insurance $103 $0 $926
Housing $1,227 $3,606 $11,040
Miscellaneous $308 $904 $2,774
Travel $156 $430 $1,404
Total $2,223 $6,496 $21,694
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the information Scott! I have to visit the campus also to be sure that the fit is right for me. Still a little confused if I do in fact want to be an accountant. I have offers from MBA programs but think a masters degree in speciality is a better degree even though it might not pay as much starting out. MBAs seem like a dime a dozen these days. Thanks again.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
Send PM
I picked UNC because I'm from North Carolina and plan to stay in the area. It's a great place to live and COL is better compared to the northeast.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
hey, for those of you who got financial aid, was it included in the original acceptance e-mail, or did it come separately?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi All,

I received an offer from UNC for the MAC program.

Would like to if any of you are attending the extra 6 weeks summer session starting mid may 2012 ?

Scott, would be great if you could share your insights on the housing since you'd be visiting the place !

Scott/Revan - if you guys looking for sharing an apartment please do get in touch.

Lets make this thread more active if possible !!

Cheerio
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
ronnycpa13 wrote:
Hi All,

I received an offer from UNC for the MAC program.

Would like to if any of you are attending the extra 6 weeks summer session starting mid may 2012 ?

Scott, would be great if you could share your insights on the housing since you'd be visiting the place !

Scott/Revan - if you guys looking for sharing an apartment please do get in touch.

Lets make this thread more active if possible !!

Cheerio

I'm starting in May and looking for a roommate. I really need to get on finding housing though...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I will be moving down to Chapel Hill at the very end of April to get settled before the start of the summer session in Mid May.

Here are a list of apartments that I have checked out online using Apartment Ratings, the Kenan-Flagler Local Apartments Map, apartment crime statistics (let's face it, we don't want to move into a place where our cars will be broken into every day), and basic googling. I eliminated some on the Kenan Flagler list based on their location and price. Some of the ones listed by the B School are not near any Chapel Hill Transit lines https://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.aspx?page=1176.

So this is a short summary of what I have learned with more details below. Almost all of the complexes that I list offer basically the same amenities and . Two to three floor units with club rooms, pool, fitness room (or free gym membership), Laundry Facilities (some apartments offer laundry hookups only in apartments or in some cases, washer and dryers), low pet fees (if any), ample parking, and access to CH Transit Lines. Most of the complexes are located West/Southwest of campus. The Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are Northeast of campus.

In the summer I know that parking on campus is not an issue but during the academic year we will need to form carpools in order to receive parking spaces. My wife and I only have one car right now and we don't plan on buying another while in Chapel Hill so I will be using the CH transit bus (which is free and very efficient) and hopefully the kindness of my classmates who need the additional passenger to get a space.

These first three are my top choices:
Rock Creek Apartments - Located

Southern Village Apartments - The most expensive of the three. You pay extra for the location which is adjacent to the Southern Village Shopping area https://www.southernvillage.com/

Sunstone Apartments - This is probably my favorite so far. The price is good, it is on multiple CH Transit Lines, includes Washer/Dryer in the apartment, and it is very close to a weekly farmers market, the Trader Joe's and the Whole Foods.

Other Options (All are West/Southwest of Campus in or adjacent to Carrboro)
Autumn Woods
Bridges of Chapel Hill
Notting Hill Apartments - Located at the very edge of Chapel Hill to the Northeast next to the interstate
Poplar Place
Timber Hollow Apartments - Located North of campus
Villages of Chapel Hill

I know that this is a ton of information but I've been looking into it and adding stuff for about a month. If you have any additional questions let me know.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Visirale

I have similar concerns regarding housing. and am looking for a roommate too. (i'd prefer to live off campus)
I do have a list of places saved in my favorites which i'll post here for everyone's benefit.

I think I should reach Chapel Hill a good 10 days before the summer course starts so that I get to know the place better and settle down.

Would you like to get in touch off this forum ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scott,

You seem to be really working hard on the accommodation front ! good going .. guess its really going to be helpful.

Is your family going to stay with you in Chapel Hill or you looking for roommates ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It will just be me and my wife so I am not looking for roommates but I would guess that there probably a good amount of people who will be.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Roger.

Would be great if you keep us posted in case you find something for around $400-$500 (thats my budget).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A one bedroom would be tough at that price but you can share a really nice two bedroom.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
Send PM
Hey all, did you guys get anything besides the acceptance and financial aid emails? I'm curious as to what the next step is for enrolling.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I haven't received anything else. I even sent in my check and all of the forms but haven't received any confirmation yet that they received them.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anyone thinking about living in campus housing?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a friend in the program this year who lives in Baity Hill Student Family Housing. The location is a 2 minute walk to the business school, has parking on site, and the apartments are really nice. This is basically a complex for grad students and students with families. If you are thinking on campus I would contact Housing soon to find out what you need to do to secure your spot there. The only downside, which is keeping me from living there, is that they don't allow pets.

Scott
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts