Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.05
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Can anyone here share something about this school?
I heard that Marriott is a great business school, and it's excellent at corporate finance placement. However, if you are an international student (non-white, non-mormon), is it still a good choice?
I'd like to see whether or not it's worth applying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.13
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Both my parents graduated from BYU so I might be able to help shed some light on the situation.

It all depends on what you are looking to get out of school, it will be one of the most intensive programs you could attend. I know quite a number of people who are BYU MBA's due to the fact I'm also LDS and recently moved about 30 minutes away from campus there.

If you are looking for a place where you can incorporate drinking/womanizing with your studies, BYU is most definitely not the place for you lol. I know they like the idea of international non mormon students in their program for added diversity. If you are able to live by the Honor Code that you have to sign to attend BYU then you will give a serious value on your education.

Now if you are married already it is a great place to attend as the activities and things to do in the area typically revolve around families.

One of the things which I've heard that they are pretty adamant about is that you not have a job while you are attending the full-time MBA program. But I assume this is a fairly typical route most take anyways.

https://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2011-2012uc ... Invovement
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
@Rommeliv: Thanks.

Do you think there's a difference between BYU and top 20 schools in terms of the chances of getting a F500 corp fin job?

Are BYU grads working mostly in Utah? Can they find a job in another state say Texas or California?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am also interested in BYU MBA but how about its scholarship and financial aid for international students? Can someone be kind enough to let me know about it? I am checking out some forums, yet, it seems just a few applying to BYU so there is almost no insightful information. From the website, however, BYU program is very great! What makes me worry is just about its location, honor code so, if it is not going to give high % of scholarship (in terms of tuition reduction), I wonder if it is worth to apply.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know anything about the interview process (potential questions, length of interview, number of interviews, etc.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
richthatcher wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the interview process (potential questions, length of interview, number of interviews, etc.?

I am interview with BYU this coming Tuesday (Jan. 31). I'll be sure to report some insights into their process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
4LEX wrote:
richthatcher wrote:

I am interview with BYU this coming Tuesday (Jan. 31). I'll be sure to report some insights into their process.

I interviewed there and have talked with others who have also interviewed. The interview is ~30 minutes and is just one interview. Be sure to know your goals / plans and why. Make sure you can clearly articulate your motivations and how BYU fits into those versus other schools. I believe the interviewer will have read through your file.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info. Do they tell you of a decision at the end of the interview or is there waiting still involved after. If so, how long until a decision is reached,
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
richthatcher wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do they tell you of a decision at the end of the interview or is there waiting still involved after. If so, how long until a decision is reached,

you should expect a decision maybe 1-3 weeks from then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If the interview is later in the year (March, April, etc.), I've heard they are much more willing to tell students they've been accepted at the end of the interview.

I applied in R1. I had my interview on Jan 10th, and was emailed 10 days later that I was going to be admitted. A large envelope arrived in the mail about a week later with my official admission.

Like the previous poster said above, have a plan (5 year, 10 year, maybe more) and how a MBA from BYU fits into those plans. The rest of the questions seemed much less important.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I phone interviewed a week ago, and recommend going in person if you can. Don't feel like it went perfectly. Asked a lot of the similar questions, but time was kinda short. I'm hoping that because BYU accepts almost everyone they interview that it will be enough to get accepted.

How do they inform you of the admission decision? Do they email with one of those "View BYU Admission Decision/Enrollment" emails or phone call or pager or what?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
4LEX wrote:
richthatcher wrote:

Please forgive the delay in my follow-up report. I had a very unusual interview experience with BYU, so take it for what it is worth:

My FIRST interview, Jan. 31, was with their head of finance depart. Despite my VERY strong background in marketing, and the fact I own my own business (very entrepreneurial minded), I indicated my "Track" as finance, as finance is my weakest link of what I bring to the table. I really wanted to bolster that area. Not a sound idea according to the guy I interviewed with (and for good reason). He couldn't understand why in the world I would want to do such a thing, and I had a very hard time trying to explain my goals/desires during the interview. Let's just say it went horribly. Roughly ~30 minutes. It seemed he didn't have the least bit interest in me.

Fast forward a week, I received an inivitation to attend a formal "campus visit" last Friday, which was a very nice day-long event with many other candidates (most of whom had been accepted or close to being accepted). Not sure how many prospectives were there, maybe 50-60 ?? Anyway, last week i received an invitation to come BACK for a second interview, which was today. Much different experience this time, that is for sure. Met with head of marketing, ~15 min. interview for him to be satisfied that I would declare marketing as my official track, rather than finance, ha. He of course asked the standard questions again, Why BYU, career goals, etc. I was much more prepared this time, went great. So we'll see what happens. He didn't say when exactly I would hear back, but he did mention that I'm basically in, that he would give his full recommendation and that the admin panel would have an answer for me soon.

Like I said, very interesting, unique experience that I had. Take it for what it is worth. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

4lex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Friends,

I am a little bumped by the second question on the essay. Any pointers on how to approach this question? I have a religion which far from Christ? How is religion and an MBA co-related???? Any one willing to shed some light?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Full Time MBA
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V23
GPA: 3.89
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can someone give me an idea of when can I expect to hear from BYU? I am international student and I applied for the Round 2. This wait is killing me! The last thing I heard from them is that the application is under review.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: BYU (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
GPA: 3.32
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
I applied for Round 3 and submitted my application the last week of February. I had been waiting for some kind of response and after 3 weeks of having my application submitted I decided to contact them to find out what the status of my application was.

I was told they would have a decision "soon."

I waited another couple of weeks and decided to contact them again to find out what was going on since I still hadn't heard back from them. This time they told me my application was in the "hold" pool to be compared with a larger pool of applicants.

At that point, I made the decision to reschedule taking the GMAT and try for a higher score so that I might be more competitive and possibly bump myself out of the "hold" pool. I am scheduled to take the test again this coming Monday.

A few days ago I got an email from them saying they want me to come in for an interview. I called them and now have an interview set up for next Tuesday with Dr. Snow.

My plan is to have a better GMAT score to take with me to the interview and solidify my chances of getting in. From what I hear, they usually admit most applicants that make it to the interview. Hopefully that's true and I make it in!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bschool710 wrote:
I phone interviewed a week ago, and recommend going in person if you can. Don't feel like it went perfectly. Asked a lot of the similar questions, but time was kinda short. I'm hoping that because BYU accepts almost everyone they interview that it will be enough to get accepted.

How do they inform you of the admission decision? Do they email with one of those "View BYU Admission Decision/Enrollment" emails or phone call or pager or what?

hi bschool710, why did you opt for a phone interview? (if you don't mind me asking). Did you get accepted? I don't live in the area and currently applying before the deadline, I'm thinking of doing a phone interview like you did.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: BYU (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
GPA: 3.32
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
I had my interview this past Tuesday with Dr. Snow. Dr. Snow was very pleasant to meet with. He told me a little about himself and then asked me what I do for work. Then he asked me where I see myself in 5 years. I gave him my answer and then added where I'd like to see myself 10-15 years from now. His responses didn't really make me feel like I had much chance of getting into the program. At the end of the interview, he asked me if I had any questions. I asked him directly if he would recommend me to the admissions committee. In a round about way, he told me about the admissions process and the committee without telling me if he would or would not recommend me, but it seemed like his response leaned towards not recommending me. He told me that I should have a response from the admissions committee within 1 to 2 weeks.

After the interview, I felt that I had little or no chance of getting admitted and didn't expect anything. I was grateful that I had at least made it to the interview stage of the process. I was honored to be considered for admission.

Just this morning, I received an email saying that I have been accepted! I am so excited, nervous, and grateful! What a relief!

Good luck to the rest of you!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts