Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Teach me about extracurricular activities (4 questions) [#permalink]
mbalady wrote:
Hi Ichinichi! I have a question, which will help me answer yours.. Will you be picking up an activity solely to get in to school, or are you looking to do something becuase its meaningful to you as an individual, outside of whether or not you attend business school.

I have three volunteer positions lined up, each of which are immensely important to me personally. These three issues are disparate and broad in scope:
1. the environment
2. helping less fortunate citizens get back on their feet
3. guiding the development of young scientists

But my time is limited. Hence, this thread. Which do I focus on to best compliment my background? For example, I am going back to school after having demonstrated my scientific ability; perhaps adcoms look to my EA as a chance to reflect my interest in non-science - so options 1 and 2 above would demonstrate that I have a broad range of interests outside of science. However, option 3 could be interpreted as my not being really committed to a switch from science because I continue to dedicate my free time to developing future scientists. If this is the case, I would focus on 1 and 2 and step back from 3.

Ultimately, I am not going to save the world and I do not have the time I'd like to give to all these causes that are important to me, so I am trying to leverage my upcoming application to help me decide how to prioritize these three opportunities.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Ichinichi wrote:
mbalady wrote:
Hi Ichinichi! I have a question, which will help me answer yours.. Will you be picking up an activity solely to get in to school, or are you looking to do something becuase its meaningful to you as an individual, outside of whether or not you attend business school.

I have three volunteer positions lined up, each of which are immensely important to me personally. These three issues are disparate and broad in scope:
1. the environment

But my time is limited. Hence, this thread. Which do I focus on to best compliment my background? For example, I am going back to school after having demonstrated my scientific ability; perhaps adcoms look to my EA as a chance to reflect my interest in non-science - so options 1 and 2 above would demonstrate that I have a broad range of interests outside of science. However, option 3 could be interpreted as my not being really committed to a switch from science because I continue to dedicate my free time to developing future scientists. If this is the case, I would focus on 1 and 2 and step back from 3.

Ultimately, I am not going to save the world and I do not have the time I'd like to give to all these causes that are important to me, so I am trying to leverage my upcoming application to help me decide how to prioritize these three opportunities.

Don't pick ECs based on what an adcom will think. Do what you want to do. The quality of experience will be a natural output of your level of commitment and that is what will impress the adcom, not the activity itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
I have to agree with my girl Cheetarah. Don't make decisions based on how it will make you look to an adcom member. If you do so, you may totally miss the point.

YOU define how valuable your ECs are; there is no calculation/algorithm behind something like this. Do whatever it is you feel like you are supposed to do - do what you feel is most meaningful to you. Writing about THAT in an essay or speaking to THAT in an interview will come naturally, and your passion/affinity for it will be evident. Don't stress about dates/timelines or any other formalities.

Do whatever it is you would do in a heartbeat even if you didnt have bshcool applications ahead of you.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
OP- I totally get it. You've got several activities you are interested in, but at the same time, you want to maximize your admission to a top MBA program. You don't have time to do all three, but you do want to do that one activity that will provide the most bang for your buck. Clearly, each activity is important to you and no one activity outshines the other. So to help you choose an activity (we're not going to pick one for you), I'll ask several questions:

1) Which activity would you do if you were not applying to MBA programs?

2) Which activity best supports your short and long term goals?

3) Which activity would you enjoy doing the most?

Hopefully, one activity will clearly emerge as the winner. And hopefully, based on the feedback provided by the previous posters, you'll have the confidence to pursue it without regard to what adcoms will think.

Ichinichi wrote:
mbalady wrote:

1. the environment

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mbalady wrote:
I have to agree with my girl Cheetarah. Don't make decisions based on how it will make you look to an adcom member. If you do so, you may totally miss the point.

YOU define how valuable your ECs are; there is no calculation/algorithm behind something like this. Do whatever it is you feel like you are supposed to do - do what you feel is most meaningful to you. Writing about THAT in an essay or speaking to THAT in an interview will come naturally, and your passion/affinity for it will be evident. Don't stress about dates/timelines or any other formalities.

Do whatever it is you would do in a heartbeat even if you didnt have bshcool applications ahead of you.

Off topic - Girl, your profile looks like a field of grass. Green everywhere! Congrats on all the admits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Mine, on the other hand, looks like someone threw up a rainbow in my profile.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Hi Ichinichi, you have a very interesting profile! I would say not to worry too much about the EA part of the application, because you already stand out or differentiate yourself with your profile only. In my opinion, you should spend most of your energy showing why your goals are realistic, and how you would succeed if changing career. If the EA is geared towards your post MBA goals, then excellent.

So I think your EA won't be as heavy part of the admission process as it would be for a traditional applicant.

Anyway, if you want to get involved into something to be able to show in the application process, doesn't matter what activity you finally choose, try to get into a leadership role. There's a world of difference if you get into an environment activity, for example, cleaning the sand of the beach as a team member, vs doing the same as a team leader/organizer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you, MBAbot.

Even though you are non-human, you did a great job of "bumping up" an important topic worth discussion.

Ichinichi started a great thread nearly two years ago about the value of extracurricular activities - as far as what makes adcoms frown or say, "wow!"

As previously discussed, a great EC demonstrates your ability to lead, organize, and have passion for others. Needless to say, a great extracurricular experience can round out your application and differentiate your story.

If you have a career interest in management consulting, organizational leadership, or entrepreneurship; I suggest that you look into becoming a volunteer business consultant for an organization that assists non-profits or small businesses.

Consider one of the below organizations as a way to gain a "wow-producing" leadership experience.

1) SCORE
2) Taproot Foundation
3) USA Leadership Corps

These organizations recruit, train, and match driven professionals like yourself with small businesses or nonprofits in need of business planning or strategy assistance.

Thank you again MBAbot (and initially Ichinichi) for highlighting a great topic on this forum.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Question 2: Your timing will definitely be an issue. Many business school applicants are looking for last minute bumps to their application packet. The way around this is to do some volunteer work that actually ties in with who you are as a person and what you are passionate about. That way you can at least appear genuine.
Question 3: I doubt there are many volunteer activities that would be looked down upon. Helping inmates at a prison is actually an interesting one. What if you were teaching them business skills? You could actually tie that to why you want to go to business school.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBA applicants are advised to have extracurricular activities on their resume. Admissions committees want to see that you are using your education and experience to contribute not only to your employer, but to society. Extracurricular activities like volunteerism and hobbies can help you to stand out from other candidates.

For more info on Extracurricular Activities and their contribution to your MBA application, please visit: https://aringo.com/extracurricular-acti ... plication/
GMAT Club Bot