Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 570 Q32 V36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: GMAT First attempt - epic fail [#permalink]
FromScratch, I actually think you'll do just fine in the next test. You just have to manage your time during the test better, esp, skipping questions that are too hard and/or time consuming. What I would do in your situation is to always stay ahead of the clock. You'll think a lot clearer and with less mistakes while ahead of time rather than behind. The point lost by skipping the hard questions are more than made back at the tail end of the test when you don't have to rush and guess.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 570 Q32 V36
Send PM
Thanks guys,

After a couple of days of feeling down, I am now back in the game. I will focus on beating the GMAT the next time, instead on focusing on doing perfectly. Clearly, my obsession with getting it perfect only made me more nervous than what is necessary.

I will keep you posted about my second attempt! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I feel your pain... My first attempt score was worst than yours and I too felt like I was prepared for the exam.
I had studied for about 3 months at the time... but looking back... I did not work nearly as diligently...

After that test I told a break for about a month, although I couldn't really enjoy anything. I decided to start again... I didnt know where to start... wasted few months just studying here and there... I figured as long as I keep studying I'm bound to get better eventually... I WAS SO WRONG!!!

After I found these forums and started reading debriefs... I realized what I need to do... I'm still in the game trying to work though this hell...

Good luck, bud!
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi FromScratch

Sorry to hear about the debacle.

I had faced the same problem with quant the first time - next time, I never, NEVER, spent extra time on a problem - just skipped it if I could not solve it (It's there in my debrief attached to my signature).

A few general suggestions:

You could go through the GMATClub SC, CR and RC and PS, DS discussion threads, which are broken down into 700-level questions and 600-level questions. You can find these links here: viewforumtags.php

On verbals, I would suggest you could have a look at the e-GMAT course and enroll for the free trial. If you like it, you can then enroll for the paid version. It's relatively cheap and is targeted at non-native speakers mainly, if you think you need it.

Please go through the Brutal SC, CR documents on GMATClub - and also the verbal notes by whiplash, Gayathri, spidey etc - all are free downloads. You can download them here: download.php

Also, please go to whiplash's profile and download all the verbal documents you'll find in her signature.

For quants:

I would suggest that you go to Bunuel's signature and look at the wealth of material there - esp the 50 tough DS and PS documents with solutions.

I loved the Online GMATClub book - precise, lucid and has all the formulas one needs.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a pastry chef so I didn't worry at all about being nervous on test day and just focused on studying the content.

It was such a nightmare I didn't even write a debrief.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts